Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 All Star / Race / Ace / Sprint. anyone tested

Created by AndyR > 9 months ago, 9 Sep 2014
AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
9 Sep 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone on the breeze had the the op to test out and paddle any of the new 2015 Starboard boards?

2015 ALL STAR - no longer with sidewalls, more of a flat/open deck.. looks interesting, nose doesn't look to different from 2014..??
plenty of rocker but still a pointy piercing nose. (great all round conditions??, not perfect for DW?? )

2015 ACE - just looks like it evolves every year and I am sure will be epic in small down wind conditions like all previous years.. (don't see many of the top guys rocking it in races though besides Beau and he wins when he's on it..)

2015 SPRINT - looks like it has evolved again from what I can read about the bottom working even more to be quicker..

2015 RACE - This is something I am really interested in.. is it going to be a better all round board than the all star? if so why continue the all star, or are these two boards very different and aimed at different conditions?? The Race is meant to be quick in the flat and quicker in light chop but does it Downwind well? does it downwind better than the All Star as both have similar rears but different noses..

Am interested to hear what people think?

Supnorte
262 posts
9 Sep 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'm gonna tried they all in 2 weeks in Starboard's dealer meeting in Spain.

SB is promoting the All-Star as a downwind/surf race board, the Sprint as a flatwater board, and the Race and ACE as allwater boards. They have a graphic showing how each board performs in terms of speed, efficiency, upwind, surf, downwind and light downwind.

Hope I can keep you updated in 2 weeks

Jeroensurf
915 posts
10 Sep 2014 5:52AM
Thumbs Up

any links to the graph and specs of the boards?

BrisKites
QLD, 1290 posts
10 Sep 2014 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..

Anyone on the breeze had the the op to test out and paddle any of the new 2015 Starboard boards?

2015 ALL STAR - no longer with sidewalls, more of a flat/open deck.. looks interesting, nose doesn't look to different from 2014..??
plenty of rocker but still a pointy piercing nose. (great all round conditions??, not perfect for DW?? )

2015 ACE - just looks like it evolves every year and I am sure will be epic in small down wind conditions like all previous years.. (don't see many of the top guys rocking it in races though besides Beau and he wins when he's on it..)

2015 SPRINT - looks like it has evolved again from what I can read about the bottom working even more to be quicker..

2015 RACE - This is something I am really interested in.. is it going to be a better all round board than the all star? if so why continue the all star, or are these two boards very different and aimed at different conditions?? The Race is meant to be quick in the flat and quicker in light chop but does it Downwind well? does it downwind better than the All Star as both have similar rears but different noses..

Am interested to hear what people think?

A bit difficult Andy, none have arrived yet!
Soon..

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
10 Sep 2014 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Haha I realise that was hoping someone maybe overs seas had a spin or a team rider or something.. Keen to see the difference from
Race to all star

Coque
51 posts
10 Sep 2014 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

AndyR, the Race Vs AllStar differences are much more than just the nose: the rockers, the bottom contours, the rails and the foils are very different.

They keep the AllStar because it's a great and easy all round board and it's by far the best race board in the surf and heavier downwinds. So if you want a race board that you are able to ride EVERY day, you want an AllStar. If you want a board that's competitive in any condition: you want an AllStar. That's why Connor and Zane travel with the AllStar.

I think Starboard's SUP range is going to spin some heads for 2015...

More in a cuple weeks!

Coque

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
10 Sep 2014 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Connor and Zane ride complete customs of the allstar from what I have been told. That's a little hard to believe that what they ride is what you get in the shops..

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
10 Sep 2014 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the graph.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
10 Sep 2014 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

And another one of how different the tails and bottom contours are. With the race in the middle and all star on the left.

Argosi
66 posts
11 Sep 2014 12:09AM
Thumbs Up

That's a great comparison graph. I really like the detailed side profile contour overlay also.

Do you know where the Ace would fit in the comparison graph?

Coque
51 posts
11 Sep 2014 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..
Connor and Zane ride complete customs of the allstar from what I have been told. That's a little hard to believe that what they ride is what you get in the shops..

Obviously, they ride customs, that's how prototypes are tested on every brand... But they usually ride custom AllStars, not Sprints or ACEs...

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
11 Sep 2014 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Argosi said..
That's a great comparison graph. I really like the detailed side profile contour overlay also.

I know where I would personally put it in relation to the 2014 boards, but with the changes in 015 and a whole new board in the race I can't compare it to the boards already on the graph.

Argosi
66 posts
11 Sep 2014 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surf4fun said..

Argosi said..

I know where I would personally put it in relation to the 2014 boards, but with the changes in 015 and a whole new board in the race I can't compare it to the boards already on the graph.

Understandable. I'd be interested in your opinions for 2014 as well though - as a baseline until we get more feedback on the 2015 boards.

Here are my rankings of the 14' 2014 models (assuming the same approximate width for each model, say the Sprint 14x24, Ace 14x25, All Star 14x25.5).

Speed in flatwater and small chop:
1. Sprint
2. Ace
3. All Star
Guess for 2015: Sprint should increase it's lead here since it only comes in 14x23" in the 14' length. 14x23 Sprint should be faster in these conditions than 14x23.5 Ace.

Efficiency (not sure how this is different from Speed).

Speed in small to medium chop with wind from various directions (new category I added):
1. Ace
2. Sprint
3. All Star
Guess for 2015: 14x 23.5 Ace should be faster than 14x23 Sprint and 14x23 All Star.

Upwind:
1. Ace
2. Sprint
3. All Star

Downwind:
1. Ace
2. All Star
3. Sprint
Guess for 2015: Should be same as 2014. Nothing I've paddled goes downwind as fast as the Ace in winds up to 25 knots or so. Once you get past 25 knots, I find my All Star is faster since it's more stable and easier to surf than my Ace.

Light Downwind 10-15 knots):
- Same as Downwind.

Surf:
1. All Star
2. Ace
3. Sprint

Side wind (new category I added):
1. All Star
2. Sprint
3. Ace (I find my Ace's nose tends to gets blown off course more than my All Star in side winds)

baddog
256 posts
11 Sep 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surf4fun said..
And another one of how different the tails and bottom contours are. With the race in the middle and all star on the left.

And the other two? One must be the Pocket Touring? And the other, maybe a Freeride? Can't wait to here about the Pocket Touring!

dralyagmas
SA, 380 posts
11 Sep 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

If the (R)ACE is better in almost each category why do the pro's use the all star? I can't buy that it's because it's a better all round board to travel with. These guys are pros and winning at all costs...

I have always thought that if the race has buoy turns then the all star would be better

given that graph is the Race a replacement for the ACE, the names seem a bit to similar for a whole new line of boards

SaltH20
123 posts
11 Sep 2014 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 12'6" x 25.5 Race and a 14' x 28 Allstar both are 2015. There has been no wind here to find out how the boards downwind. A friend took out the Race in calm water and loved it!

I will chime back in when I have had some time on them.

Jeroensurf
915 posts
11 Sep 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Any news on the waveboards?

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
12 Sep 2014 12:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaltH20 said...
I have a 12'6" x 25.5 Race and a 14' x 28 Allstar both are 2015. There has been no wind here to find out how the boards downwind. A friend took out the Race in calm water and loved it!

Where are you based in this world, why so lucky to have both already

Look fwd to your review flat water and down wind conditions

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
11 Sep 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Theses are my thoughts on the 2014 boards:
In the flat water sprint is fastest and it is a tough one between the Ace and All Star. The Ace is faster if you can get it up on the plane and keep it there which most people can't do for any length of time. The All Star is surprisingly good in the flat water with the piercing nose.

Upwind i I would say the All Star and a Sprint are a head of the Ace, with the goofy nose of the Ace tending to slap and not pierce like the others.

Jeroen - new to the line up is an 8'0x29, a new 11'2x30 called 'the nut', 8'8 Airborne. Also lots of tweaks to boards with bottom contours and rail profiles.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
11 Sep 2014 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Coque
51 posts
12 Sep 2014 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dralyagmas said..
If the (R)ACE is better in almost each category why do the pro's use the all star? I can't buy that it's because it's a better all round board to travel with. These guys are pros and winning at all costs...

I have always thought that if the race has buoy turns then the all star would be better

given that graph is the Race a replacement for the ACE, the names seem a bit to similar for a whole new line of boards

Sprints (with buoys) and beachraces are much better on an AllStar than on an Ace.

Surf4fun, if Starboard doesn't make public those images i wonder why in the hell you do so... I assume that if you have them it's because someone gave them to you, and probably asked you to not to make them public...

SaltH20
123 posts
12 Sep 2014 1:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..

SaltH20 said...

Where are you based in this world, why so lucky to have both already

Look fwd to your review flat water and down wind conditions

I just became the South FL Tech Rep. I unloaded the truck after expo and grabbed a few boards for my demo fleet. I am excited to paddle them myself. Just need to find time.

They look sweet. I can't wait until my Pro model arrives. It will probably be a while for that one tho.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
12 Sep 2014 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

These images are from the new catalogue that dealers get sent electronically to order from and therefore we get to see them long before the official release date. Now the release date has passed they are allowed to be shown publicly. Some shops that sell Starboard already have them on their online shops so there is nothing I have put up that isn't already in the public domain and will be in some shops physically within a week.

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
12 Sep 2014 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

That will be an early copy as the 8" x29 pro is shown with a full deck pad it will not have that it will only have a rear pad. It will have the new fcs 2 fin box system that is back compatible to fcs 1 fins..it will come with the normal starboard fins

Jeroensurf
915 posts
13 Sep 2014 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Do you know how much volume the 8.0 has?

Jeroensurf
915 posts
13 Sep 2014 5:07AM
Thumbs Up

Edit found it 111l. Sounds like a beauty to me.

deanrice
4 posts
15 Sep 2014 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

anyone know the width of the race in 14'

swimarko
49 posts
15 Sep 2014 4:33AM
Thumbs Up

deanrice said..
anyone know the width of the race in 14'

25' and 27'