Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Javelin 14' GX 28"

Created by Desflurane > 9 months ago, 6 Aug 2014
Area10
1508 posts
11 Aug 2014 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Very tippy? Well, I wasn't expecting that, even if it is a Javelin. 28" wide, big tail, hard rails. I thought it would be pretty stable. But how far above the waterline do you actually stand?

Hmm...maybe Naish should have added a 28" wide version of the V3 Glide in the new GX construction to their range... But I guess we will have to wait until DJ's next DW videos to get another opinion on the stability issue. At least that explains why the narrowest Jav is 26".

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
11 Aug 2014 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

I bought a 2014 LEX26 14' Jav after hearing how stable it is and how it was meant to be the perfect big-boy DW board.. Well I find it very tippy in choppy water.

I should have my new 2015 GX28 14' Jav at the end of this week or early next week.. I have my fingers crossed that it's not tippy.. I heard it is very stable.

I found the old V1 and V2 Glides at 27'' wide a bit tippy.. and the new V3 Glide super stable at 29'' wide.. So 28'' wide sounds about perfect for me at 95kg..

I guess I'll find out soon..

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
11 Aug 2014 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Who says they are tippy?? I don't think the new ones are any more so than other boards. Granted only had short paddles on them in calm ocean. 26 feels so quick id go 28 though for most conditions.

Desflurane
114 posts
11 Aug 2014 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

It's an initial tippy feeling.
Never fell or had a 'moment'
Pretty choppy for the last 30 mins.
Rails are very soft through the middle of the board, hard front and back.
Don't take this as a negative review, I'm overall really happy with the board.
Cuts through the water really nicely.
Feels faster than the V3.
Out again tomorrow in more chop

windara
QLD, 256 posts
11 Aug 2014 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
I bought a 2014 LEX26 14' Jav after hearing how stable it is and how it was meant to be the perfect big-boy DW board.. Well I find it very tippy in choppy water.

I should have my new 2015 GX28 14' Jav at the end of this week or early next week.. I have my fingers crossed that it's not tippy.. I heard it is very stable.

I found the old V1 and V2 Glides at 27'' wide a bit tippy.. and the new V3 Glide super stable at 29'' wide.. So 28'' wide sounds about perfect for me at 95kg..

I guess I'll find out soon..

Hey DJ, I'm seriously looking at one as well and the tippy comments got my ears pricked up! Im on the 2014 14' carbon glide and find it super stable in all types of conditions and was looking at the Jav LE 14 x 28. Im thinking it wont be quite as stable as the glide but being only an inch narrower but considerably lighter, I should get used to it.

kikaha
QLD, 72 posts
11 Aug 2014 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

I tried one of these on Saturday and found it very stable in small chop.

And my usual board is a 2013, 12.6 x 30 glide which is a battle ship.

One mans tippy is another mans stable.

hanza1111
84 posts
11 Aug 2014 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kikaha said..
I tried one of these on Saturday and found it very stable in small chop.

And my usual board is a 2013, 12.6 x 30 glide which is a battle ship.

One mans tippy is another mans stable.

Right on the money. Lol all the comments about tippyness etc...
Everyone is different and try try try if you can, lots of demo days out there.
If you go out once in a while get a wide board.
If you are prepared to put the time into training, and paddle most days then your once "tippy board" will be nothing in no time.
so decide do you go for safety, or a board you can grow with as your skills improve?.....

Desflurane
114 posts
12 Aug 2014 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Ok, paddled in some sloppy small to medium chop, gusting 20Kn.
I'm going to rephrase my 'tippy' call with, skatey.
Like your on a slippery surface, which of course you are ;-)
No falls, no moments.
Took a picture of the bottom showing the double concave. Level is at the handle.

Desflurane
114 posts
12 Aug 2014 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Just to reiterate, this is MY impression after the 29" Glide.
My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
12 Aug 2014 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

When I paddled my 12'6'' x 30'' Glide the first time it felt tippy.. Not sure why..

Now it's one of the most stable boards that I've owned.

Thanks for the pictures and your review..

It's great to see that double concave and I had wondered why they hadn't done it sooner on the old Glides.

Desflurane
114 posts
12 Aug 2014 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

DJ you're going to love your new board, much faster feeling. Seems to break free so easily.

Area10
1508 posts
12 Aug 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Presumably you mean "reactive", as in that you get a pretty immediate response to your input? Many slippery fast boards are like that, and once you get used to it it can make more sluggish boards actually feel a but tippy because there's a delayed response between your input and something happening.

Yes, assessments of tippiness are very personal. On one forum recently - maybe this one - someone called the Coreban Dart tippy. That blew my mind.

The bottom contours of the Naish remind me vaguely of a SIC Bullet...but hard to tell from one pic... which is a good thing IMO. I know some people regard it as voodoo (and maybe they are right), but I've tended to feel that concaves work well on DW boards. What colour is the bottom of the board - it doesn't look pure white?

yugi
85 posts
12 Aug 2014 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

Color undefined, light just slips off it.

yugi
85 posts
12 Aug 2014 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

One thing concaves do is make the board "sound" faster! That much is for sure.

Desflurane
114 posts
13 Aug 2014 4:01AM
Thumbs Up

Think your correct Yugi, 'reactive' is a great way of describing it.
Colour is a light bluey grey.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Javelin 14' GX 28"" started by Desflurane