Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Starboard Airborn 8'8 x 31"5

Created by bdinis > 9 months ago, 17 Aug 2014
bdinis
8 posts
17 Aug 2014 4:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

wont this actually be a bit of internal competition for the widepoints?

it looks more "extreme" then the widepoints. For me, who my go-to board needs lots of stability, this outline looks cool.

A lso Sounds like more competition for de wide JPs and 32xNaish. Sad to know that prices are still the same though

SupaTrooper
QLD, 243 posts
17 Aug 2014 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

There is a serious lack of imagination for colour schemes with that deck grip

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
17 Aug 2014 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

I was getting all excited until I noticed it only had 111 lts of volume in it

beer pig
WA, 118 posts
17 Aug 2014 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

111 ltr was the 8.0 pro the 8.8 was 123 ltr

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
17 Aug 2014 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good to me.

bdinis
8 posts
18 Aug 2014 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..
I was getting all excited until I noticed it only had 111 lts of volume in it

mate its 123lts ...i figured enough for a 85kg intermediate

if it had 7lts more it would be a widepoint ;)

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
18 Aug 2014 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

There will be one available for Demo in the Starboard demo trailer from about the end of September contact your nearest Starboard dealer to arrange a demo day ????

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
18 Aug 2014 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh i thought I saw 111 ltr on the board in the video, I need to change my specs !!!!

ahhhh its back on the list then along with

Naish X32
JL WWW
New Starboard PR

plus a few other I guess !!

phil

Southwesterly
112 posts
18 Aug 2014 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

$2850 US = $3059 Aus.

Plus tax and another 30 for a leash.

Plug and Play.

Wiz5477
TAS, 8 posts
18 Aug 2014 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

anyone heard anything about any other 2015 starboards?

TBM
NSW, 55 posts
18 Aug 2014 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Southwesterly said..
$2850 US = $3059 Aus.

Plus tax and another 30 for a leash.

Plug and Play.

Sounds more like Slug and Play

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
18 Aug 2014 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Heard about a new Pocket Rocket, new 8'10" WP and new 8 ft wider pro wave but thats about it.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
18 Aug 2014 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

The 8'0" x 29" at 110 litres is a new pro model. The 7'7" x 27" and the 8'0" x 28" are all new shapes.

skiman123
NSW, 33 posts
18 Aug 2014 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

New Element and Converse also

cbigsup
454 posts
18 Aug 2014 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Any of you lads know the specs on the new Pocket Rocket? Radio silence here in US!

bdinis
8 posts
18 Aug 2014 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbigsup said..
Any of you lads know the specs on the new Pocket Rocket? Radio silence here in US!

Same here in Europe...guess starboard does not need to be the 1st to announce their lineup for coming season....

from what i've seen online the prices of all manufacturers will still be huge... Guess local shappers might still have market !

John4F
116 posts
19 Aug 2014 4:35AM
Thumbs Up

That's why we buy GONG

cbigsup
454 posts
20 Aug 2014 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

I have bought two Pat Rawson customs from Hawaii - full retail including air for the price of ONE Starby Airborne.

And WHY doesn't gong make their boards available to the US?

Area10
1508 posts
20 Aug 2014 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

It's hard enough to get a Gong board in Europe. They are the quirkiest outfit to deal with you could imagine, in my experience. I've had three Gong boards and still have one. They are a really innovative outfit and Patrice is a fantastically skilled SUPer. But I don't think I can face dealing with them any more. Maybe they've changed recently: they have had production problems in the past. I can't see Gong and the US being a good fit in terms of shared cultural expectations.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
20 Aug 2014 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

From riding the 7'10" airborne at 98 litres I'd reckon the 8'8" would float anyone up to 110-115kg no worries.

The nice thing about it is it seems to be thin which should make it easier to throw around too. I have the 2012 8'5" pro at 123 litters which is over 4" thick.

colas
5064 posts
20 Aug 2014 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

cbigsup, Gong has a hard time producing enough for the French market, so they are not actively seeking distributors abroad.

Area10, yes, this was in 2010 and before, where Gong was using a factory in tunisia that was run by its hostile competitors. Basically, H20 (the group owning Gong) went bankrupt in 2008, and Patrice bought Gong then. But the deal left a lot of bad feelings and resentments, and the factory played a lot of dirty tricks to Gong, such as not even telling Patrice when the container were shipped or even what was the contents. So Patrice had to discover that a container existed when it arrived at port... Add to this banks not lending money anymore to small businesses after the crisis, some rough edges to Patrice personality (he didn't gain his nickname of "The Bear" for nothing :-), some paranoia due to the latent guerilla with his ex-associates, that made him not disclose these problems to customers, and so before 2010, delays to get a board were unpredictable, even to Patrice himself. I myself waited more than a year for a board model that ended up being cancelled.

To get an idea of the problem, Decathlon, the major French sport brand decided to get their boards made in this Tunisia factory, I even got incredible hate messages from Gong competitors in the tone of "Ah Ah we will now swamp the French market with thousands of Decathlon boards next month, Gong is dead!"... and guess what happened... Decathlon boards got delayed by one full year while the plant guys were bragging to me they were shipping next month.

But since 2011, Gong switched production to China, and being there quite often, he is able to manage the production properly as he has a lot more control, and 3 employees to help him (he was alone before). And he has now "opened up" a lot, and discloses freely the production schedules, what boards are planned in which container, delays, etc... on the Gong forum. See www.gong-galaxy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2567 And dates of shipment are now in the shop...

So yes, there was a lot of production delays issues before 2011, but it is over now. Production problems can still happen but at least they are dealt with openly now.

Jradedmondo
NSW, 635 posts
20 Aug 2014 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..
From riding the 7'10" airborne at 98 litres I'd reckon the 8'8" would float anyone up to 110-115kg no worries.

The nice thing about it is it seems to be thin which should make it easier to throw around too. I have the 2012 8'5" pro at 123 litters which is over 4" thick.

might have to give one a demo then as i am in that range, just dont know about the price

Jarryd

bdinis
8 posts
20 Aug 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..

Hi Tang,

I'm 85kg the problem is the skills and the salary ahahah ;), weekend SUPer for 2 years.... guess the 8'8 would fit me also in Portugal the cost of a carbon is around 2.200€-2.400, maybe less 1.000€ for a AST or wood.

Supnorte
262 posts
20 Aug 2014 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Obrigado pelo vídeo! [Thanks for the video!]

I'll be demoing this board next month!

bdinis
8 posts
20 Aug 2014 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Souselas said..
Obrigado pelo vídeo! [Thanks for the video!]

I'll be demoing this board next month!

Onde Souselas? Supnorte? Não te esqueças de postar aqui o review . Carbon, wood ou AST?

[Where Souselas? don't forget to post the review here . Carbon, wood or AST?]

Supnorte
262 posts
21 Aug 2014 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

Vou experimentar na reunião da Starboard. Vai ser daqui a um mês num local secreto (pronto, é em Espanha). Vão estar todos os modelos em todas as construções para experimentar

[Gonna tried this board in Starboard's dealers meeting in Spain next month. All boards in all constructions will be available on a private beach for demoing!]

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
21 Aug 2014 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Harrys. I will have a demo in about 5 weeks give me a call then and I will bring it down for you to take for a surf

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
21 Aug 2014 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bdinis said...
Tang said..

Hi Tang,

I'm 85kg the problem is the skills and the salary ahahah ;), weekend SUPer for 2 years.... guess the 8'8 would fit me also in Portugal the cost of a carbon is around 2.200€-2.400, maybe less 1.000€ for a AST or wood.

No worries. Once you ride the carbon boards the wood and ast just feel too heavy unless you're cruising or longboard-style surfing on them. Maybe see if you can pick up the 9'0" x 29" in carbon secondhand first? Or if you want a fast stable and light board why not think about larger minion from deep? They go unreal, are light, and relatively affordable. I'm 85kg and 110L floats me with room to spare.

Area10
1508 posts
21 Aug 2014 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Colas - thanks for that. I do feel sorry for Patrice, and there has to be a place in the market for such a fun and innovative company.

But those production issues...they didn't stop with Tunisia. Two friends of mine bought Gong surf SUPs when the new factory started to produce them. And the finboxes fell out of both of them. They had not been set in high density foam. But as you say, every brand has problems. It's how you deal with them that matters. And it is there, I think, where Patrice and his crew could learn a thing or two. Sometimes Gong have seemed to me to be almost deliberately trying to act up to the stereotype of the French that some foreigners have (and that understandably so frustrates the excellent French people I employ). But it sounds like Patrice has been on a steep learning curve the last few years and maybe now things are on a more even keel. He came over to my local beach a few years back and gave the most incredible demonstration of freestyle SUSing, pulling big moves on waves so small most people couldn't even turn. That's the measure of a good surfer IMO - we all feel like heroes when the surf is excellent, but if you can still look great when the surf is completely hopeless and everyone else is floundering, you know you have skills.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Starboard Airborn 8'8 x 31"5" started by bdinis