Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Sunova Speeed 8'10 in some high tide waves

Created by supthecreek > 9 months ago, 15 Jun 2015
supthecreek
2594 posts
15 Jun 2015 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

After weeks of howling winds, I finally got a clean day to ride my new Sunova Speeed 8'10

Waves were really soft, coming off high tide.... but it was fun!

A review will come after I have sufficient time on this board.... but here's another look at this very sweet board.
Me: 67 yo.... 97 kg

baddog
256 posts
16 Jun 2015 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Whaaat! No cross stepping today?

yt04
QLD, 394 posts
16 Jun 2015 5:18AM
Thumbs Up

Great vid and some nice waves, the only thing missing is the endless summer soundtrack??. Watching your vid inspires me to hope I'm still surfing when I reach your age! Great work.

SUPbru
386 posts
16 Jun 2015 4:18AM
Thumbs Up

Looking right at home on your 8'10 Speeed - happy days

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
16 Jun 2015 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid! Nice waves. The Speeed looks to be a great performer. Nice surfing too.

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
16 Jun 2015 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid! Nice waves. The Speeed looks to be a great performer. Nice surfing too.

Antho
VIC, 510 posts
16 Jun 2015 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Great stuff stc!
Good to see that the waves have improved.
Looks like you've dialed in the new board.
Keep the vids coming!

Johndesu
NSW, 552 posts
16 Jun 2015 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Not bad for an old bloke / actually pretty good on nice clean waves - keep surf supping :-)

yowiesup
NSW, 66 posts
16 Jun 2015 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Youve got it dialled. Great stuff STC. Good ad for the Speed.

SupChickadee
VIC, 142 posts
16 Jun 2015 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing the video. Board looks like great fun.....makes me want one, but bought a 8'6' before Christmas........and wouldn't get past the husband, even though i tell him SUP's are like golf clubs - you NEED one for every conditions

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2123 posts
16 Jun 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SupChickadee said..
Thanks for sharing the video. Board looks like great fun.....makes me want one, but bought a 8'6' before Christmas........and wouldn't get past the husband, even though i tell him SUP's are like golf clubs - you NEED one for every conditions

And you would be absolutely correct!

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2123 posts
16 Jun 2015 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

STC's video is great - it shows what you can do on the Speeed.

But I have a question for Speeed riders (and old mal riders). My limited experience on the Speeed is that it loves to go fast down the line, but to turn it you really have to get on the tail - like I used to do on my 9' mal. I have to get on the tail of my Hokua X32 as well (just 2" shorter and 3" wider), but I don't think it is the same.

I watch Johnny Maya (Sunova promo vid) and STC and it looks like they are riding a mal - really getting on the tail such that the nose lifts up in the air.

However on my X32 I "feel" like it is more of a short-board; it turns on the rail but it turns more when your foot is over the fins.

I am just curious. Anyone agree? Disagree? (Anyone understand what I am rambling about?)

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
17 Jun 2015 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon what you are feeling is in the outline of these two very different boards, CSE.
The X32 has heaps of curve in the outline and just wants to turn, even at low speeds.
The SPEEED, which has straighter rails which generates more down the line speed. That is why Bert pulled in the tail so you get the best of both - Speeed to burn so when you step back you tuuurn!

Balmoral Team rider, Jimmy Melhuish ripping it up the Sydney Paddlesurfing Club round last weekend. First time on the SPEEED and he made it through to the final
Awesome pic from Jeremy 'Jezza' Corne photography

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2123 posts
17 Jun 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks AA. Just to be clear, my comments are not a criticism in any way. I just want to better understand the board and get the most out of it.

Jacksboards
VIC, 181 posts
17 Jun 2015 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Great Video SUPTHECREEK
Very Inspirational, the SPEED is obviously complimentary to your surf sup style.
Looking forward to your review when ready.
Regards
Jack

supthecreek
2594 posts
17 Jun 2015 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback!

AA.... great picture.... that shows what the board can do in younger hands!

CSEnough.... you are absolutely correct about me.....
I look like I'm riding a Mal on ALL boards, because that's all I rode for 20 years prior to SUP... my last shortboard was in 1988
That's exactly why I state my age.... so people can adjust what they see, to their own situation.

ha ha... I only wish I could surf it like Johnny Maya

The last few years, I have been process of working my way back, through "SUP reduction", towards more "shortboard" style....

That was my goal in buying the Speeed.... it is the smallest, narrowest SUP I have been on to date
I'm hoping, once I get in some juicer waves, I'll be able to push harder!

bdl2333
NSW, 116 posts
19 Jun 2015 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Great vid! I wish I could surf like that.

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
20 Jun 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the video and beautiful stylish technique i might add.Clearly you have done a lot of surfing over those 67 years and it really inspires me as a 55 year old mad sup and longboard oldie.Just a couple of questions if you dont mind.Does your body hurt like mine after a big sup sesh and how many litres are those boards? I ride an 8.10 allwave and ride it longboard style, but the speed looks a lot smoother in transition than Fanatic.Keep up the great work regards Richie.

supthecreek
2594 posts
20 Jun 2015 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Richie... thanks for the kind words!

I owned 5 Allwaves over a span of 3 years, with the last 2 being the 8'10.
I really loved that board and respected it for providing me with such a stable way to go "sub-9"
It easily handled my (at the time) 111 kg plus full winter gear with ease.

When I was ready for more performance, I had to go to the 9'6 Prowave to get the same stability.

I could surf endless sessions without much pain on the Allwave & Prowave

The 8'10 Speeed is a different animal... at 130 liters and only 29" wide..... it was a leap of faith that committed me to some serious retooling.

I spent a month balance training daily, and losing 10 kg.

When it arrived, I surfed in 30 mph winds for training.

I hurt in places I didn't know I had places.... but in a good, healthy, workout type of feeling.

It is not a magic balance platform... I find it tippy all the time, but I don't fall much.... odd, but it is somehow tippy and yet, very manageable.... if that makes sense.
Small corrections constantly work many more muscles than the super stable Allwave ever did.... but I am rebuilding my body, in a way I haven't seen yet on SUP.

Yes, I ache a bit... but less now than 3 weeks ago.... and I am rethinking my long held belief that "why struggle? Stability is the way to go"
I am very happy to find out I was totally wrong.... my surfing and overall fitness is soooo much better since riding my Speeed. Struggle with benefits!

I'm currently 97 kg

Last week I water swapped boards with a friend.
I got to ride a new 8'11 Allwave LTD in carbon at 150 liters
I was surprised that it felt huge to me..... the thicker rails, 2" wider than my Speeed (130 L.... 29" wide... foiled rails)
The Allwave and Speeeed are totally different boards.... the Speeed is a much more demanding and performance oriented board.
If you are much smaller than me, the Speeed should be very stable for you.... but I am at the higher end of the weight/age class for the 8'10 IMO

The smooth transition that you mentioned is exactly what I saw in Johnny Maya's video.... the tight effortless carve, that flows right into the next turn.
It feels exactly like that.
But don't be fooled..... My turns are becoming much snappier, as I learn how much more I can push it.
My young "ripper" friends say that my surfing is much improved on the Speeed.
When I get better waves (maybe in an hour!!!) I really expect this board to let loose

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
20 Jun 2015 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Nice vid but someone kill that fly on your lens... great example of getting your back foot onto the tail kick . Making it look really easy big fella and the board looks really good under your feet and ripping at 67...

supthecreek
2594 posts
21 Jun 2015 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Piros... I'm learning more every day
ha ha ....I was waiting for the fly..... my daughter's camera has something on the inside of her lens.... so she switched to mine for some shots!

The pronounced nose flip makes the board really interesting.
Today it was knee to waist and glassy..... not a lot of push, so I was playing around.

I found I could take off on the nose, plant myself there and steer all over that wave face with my ankles.
The flip acts like a controlled stall, when you stand on it. It allows you to easily stay in the pocket on the nose and provides interesting control, not common to traditional noseriders. Now I'm all stoked up to play up there some more.... you can literally ride fairly straight down to the bottom and turn back up the face without pearling.... and the fins never slid out on the weak waves. (I put a big set of 5.5" sides in)

I feel like I have a longboard on one end, and a shortboard on the other.

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
23 Jun 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks very much for the really informative response.I am currently at83 kg and have just sold my 8.3 x32 Hokua so im really interested in the next edition for me.Ive thought about the 8.8 Airbourne but keep leaning back to your vision.I tend to gravitate to the smoother slightly softer point waves down here on the Island as opposed to the punchier rippy beachies , and i think the speed would suit with plenty scope to push it a bit harder as you have indicated.Ill try locate a dealer in Vic and see if i can get a look at one.Many thanks for taking the time to respond Regards Richie.

Wicksy
QLD, 153 posts
23 Jun 2015 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Lucyloo said..
Thanks very much for the really informative response.I am currently at83 kg and have just sold my 8.3 x32 Hokua so im really interested in the next edition for me.Ive thought about the 8.8 Airbourne but keep leaning back to your vision.I tend to gravitate to the smoother slightly softer point waves down here on the Island as opposed to the punchier rippy beachies , and i think the speed would suit with plenty scope to push it a bit harder as you have indicated.Ill try locate a dealer in Vic and see if i can get a look at one.Many thanks for taking the time to respond Regards Richie.

SHQ BOARDSPORTS @ www.shq.com.au/

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
23 Jun 2015 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Suptc I just ordered a 9.2 Speeed which is only due out the in 2016 catalogue . Dimensions are 9.2 x 31.5 x 140lt. I should have it by August which is killing me cause I wanted it yesterday.

supthecreek
2594 posts
23 Jun 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Frickin' Awesome.... when I heard about the 9'5, I told Martin that I would love a 9'2 @ 145 liters for my winters. Stoked to hear they have added this option!!!!
That size will open the Speeed up to a lot of folks in my area.... we tend to be older and larger than you Aussie young guns

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
24 Jun 2015 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Wicksy.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2123 posts
24 Jun 2015 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lucyloo said..
Thanks Wicksy.

If you are ever in the Westerport area, you are welcome to take a look at mine. I don't think they have them in stock at SHQ yet. Great board, but different to the Hokua and Airborne.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Sunova Speeed 8'10 in some high tide waves" started by supthecreek