Site Sponsor
25 Sep 2014 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Markyb Where are you located? will point you in the right direction

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
25 Sep 2014 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

I will have one at Gerroa for the demo /paddle weekend 1st weekend in Nov. Might even have it a week or so before then depending on custom clearance etc.

kev7
WA, 132 posts
25 Sep 2014 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..
I can't believe the prices on the carbon surf sups…over $2500 is an absolute JOKE!!!!!!

just brought 2015 electric blue whopper pick up next month $1800

DavidJohn
VIC, 17435 posts
25 Sep 2014 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like RPS [here in Melbourne] have some of the new 2015 Starboards in..

Notice the new timber deck.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
25 Sep 2014 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kev7 said...
husq2100 said..
I can't believe the prices on the carbon surf sups…over $2500 is an absolute JOKE!!!!!!

just brought 2015 electric blue whopper pick up next month $1800

Carbon?

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
25 Sep 2014 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ali Cat said..
I had a quick search around before writing anything this morning and from what I found, both the AST and Carbon constructions for the 2014 starby's look about the same (maybe a little less) in USD as retail prices here (eg. 2014 SB 7'7" Pro in carbon was $2599 USD - not sure if that's full retail or whether it could have been reduced as the 2015 stock is near) - either way, it's about on par with exchange rates - if anything we're getting a slightly better deal even though the depth of competition in the market over there would be much greater. The price differences between here and there on the different constructions of the Naish boards were in the same ballpark too.

thats very interesting, especially given the low average wage and cost of living in the USA. Granted the boards are made in Asia and that requires shipping and imports, and I have no idea on the costs for that or the USA fee structure.

I would have thought the market be MUCH bigger, but I guess the pointy end of SUP surf boards is the smallest, like here. ( look at SUrftech's 2015 cat, and they have nothing in that market, and really gone out of surf sups for performance)

I still stand by my comments regarding retail pricing and "what can we charge for it" , it has been proven many times before in various product groups.

I also feel that the cost of these (not just SB) boards are overpriced for what they are.

Adoy
NSW, 238 posts
25 Sep 2014 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

How come the boards are out but the online catalogue isn't yet?

Markyb
NSW, 41 posts
25 Sep 2014 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Auswind said..
Markyb Where are you located? will point you in the right direction

In Sydney

yugi
85 posts
25 Sep 2014 11:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adoy said..

spell checking!

DiscoSD
1 posts
26 Sep 2014 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pumpnjump said..

husq2100 said..

It certainly seems high, I have just made an 8'4", EPS core, divinycell sandwich, carbon innegra lay up, full vacuum bag with peel ply, perforated film etc, 2 pac finish, $650 including deck grip, and thats at retail prices for materials, these manufacturers would not be paying half as much.

What factory the boards are coming out of makes a huge difference in the pricing of them. I dropped my Starboard carbon board off the roof of my van when loading in the wind and nothing happened to it at all. I'm guessing a $650 carbon surf SUP surfs great and is nice and light but nothing is as durable as a carbon board coming out of the Cobra factory in Thailand. You are paying for more then just the materials. There's a lot of R&D that goes into getting a board that's as durable as one of these and also that flexes when you're surfing. Most carbon boards are really stiff and don't give you much pop when riding a wave.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
26 Sep 2014 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DiscoSD said...
pumpnjump said..

husq2100 said..

It certainly seems high, I have just made an 8'4", EPS core, divinycell sandwich, carbon innegra lay up, full vacuum bag with peel ply, perforated film etc, 2 pac finish, $650 including deck grip, and thats at retail prices for materials, these manufacturers would not be paying half as much.

What factory the boards are coming out of makes a huge difference in the pricing of them. I dropped my Starboard carbon board off the roof of my van when loading in the wind and nothing happened to it at all. I'm guessing a $650 carbon surf SUP surfs great and is nice and light but nothing is as durable as a carbon board coming out of the Cobra factory in Thailand. You are paying for more then just the materials. There's a lot of R&D that goes into getting a board that's as durable as one of these and also that flexes when you're surfing. Most carbon boards are really stiff and don't give you much pop when riding a wave.

Im well aware of different factories and even different construction and price point from the same factory.

I never made the comparison between cheap and experience SUP trying to say they were equal quality or there abouts.

seems to me some are not only happy with the pricing but will defend it..... hmmmm

Supnorte
262 posts
26 Sep 2014 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Just came back from the Starboard dealers meeting. Plenty of new stuff there!

You can check more photos here:

www.facebook.com/SUPnorte/posts/651780114919632

www.facebook.com/SUPnorte/posts/652165254881118

www.facebook.com/SUPnorte/posts/652229758208001

IWB
210 posts
27 Sep 2014 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

The unlimited Ace GT in the photo looks super sweet!! Souselas... any reviews... Wonder if Connor Baxter would ever use this in the Molokai?

bdinis
8 posts
27 Sep 2014 2:02AM
Thumbs Up

yugi said..

Adoy said..

spell checking!

If deep search the net you'll find this issuu.com:443/supsurfru/docs/aw_sup-catalogue-2015-rev2

its still ill under review but you can get an idea of what's coming out.

anyway should not take longer for publishing

Ashmullet
NSW, 282 posts
27 Sep 2014 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
i think they, thats all the brands are going over the top

prices for carbon race boards retailing for 3,300 plus which is crazy

now thats big dollars. i waited and brought a near new 12'6 falcon second hand for $1500.

and thats the other problem. as soon as your out the door you've just dropped a thousand dollars

the all star will probably be my last dear board purchase as the prices stand.

i'm not sure how long people will last when fronted with big prices like they are now.

no wonder the industry pushes racing because if you don't race or want to be faster than your mate/mates you wouldn't need the new years 'faster' model ever year

and boy, it really wants to be the best board going around at those prices.

i'm as big as sucker as any one else

I'm a sucker too.
I receive some much appreciated support/help (no pimps) and it does help$$.i enjoy having the latest designs (for sup surfing)under my feet I'm not into racing but I can't see how the big brands can "bump"the price up every year And be successful as a business!

theres such a back log of second hand equipment for the average joe on here and else where ! geez there is some quality bargains to be had when you look through the buy and sell sections,but I guess if there is such a backlog of 2nd hand gear it must mean people are wanting to update as well!

I mean for example how many ,say boards in that 7ft range would they produce And then have to move its a tough market .most crew I talk to are all second hand buyers won't go near the shops cause of what's available second hand!

new sups are just like new cars hand ya $$ over and pick ya new pride and joy up and lose a few bob as you walk out the door!

But I guess that new board feeling never changes I for one soon forget about the $$ when ya frothing on a new board

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
27 Sep 2014 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Bdinis! At last! You're a champ thanks for that.

SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
27 Sep 2014 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a little Facebook video we did. Excuse the quality as it was shot on an Iphone.
It shows the new look of the Wood finish boards.
Cheers
Michael

SupaTrooper
QLD, 243 posts
28 Sep 2014 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Starboard race butt

Jeroensurf
877 posts
28 Sep 2014 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

Thanx Bdinis!

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
29 Sep 2014 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

The 17 footer looks so sweet!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17435 posts
30 Sep 2014 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
30 Sep 2014 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........14x25" Race!!!

SaltH20
123 posts
30 Sep 2014 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........14x25" Race!!!

It is a killer board! Handles almost all conditions.

I have been paddling the 12'6 x 25.5 Race and love it!!!

WA Surf
WA, 334 posts
1 Oct 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Took the 7'10" x 30" Airborn for a spin at Mettams last week. Couldn't get off it. Stable and really fun on the wave, it was easy to break the fins out of the back of the wave and really accelerated easily after the top turn without much trimming at all. Going to have to put this one up against the 7'11" Allwave LTD in a couple of weeks when the Starboard arrives and see how they compare.

New Widepoints are in store in our new Mandurah shop, if you want to take a look.

Drew

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
1 Oct 2014 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

SaltH2O.......tell us more!! How does it compare to the Allstar?
Are they both the full carbon version?
How is the weight?
Sorry for all the questions, very keen to get my paws on these for a closer look!!

SaltH20
123 posts
24 Oct 2014 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..
SaltH2O.......tell us more!! How does it compare to the Allstar?
Are they both the full carbon version?
How is the weight?
Sorry for all the questions, very keen to get my paws on these for a closer look!!

Wow Sorry for the late reply.

They are both carbon. The 12'6 Race is incredible light. I will get on a scale this week.

As far as the ride it has a little wobble at 1st go but quickly forgotten after a few minutes on it. The secondary stability is excellent! Board is very fast! Many of the people who have tried it at our race league have posted their best times when using it. It picks up the smallest bump. I think it is a great flatwater/DW board.

Comparing it to the Allstar is tough being that it is a 14 and 28 wide. I should be having a go on a few more very soon. I did have the 14' in some waves and it picked up the small wind chop really well. Looking forward to DW'ing the 25" wide.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
24 Oct 2014 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA Surf said..
Took the 7'10" x 30" Airborn for a spin at Mettams last week. Couldn't get off it. Stable and really fun on the wave, it was easy to break the fins out of the back of the wave and really accelerated easily after the top turn without much trimming at all. Going to have to put this one up against the 7'11" Allwave LTD in a couple of weeks when the Starboard arrives and see how they compare.

New Widepoints are in store in our new Mandurah shop, if you want to take a look.

Drew

Hey drew do you have demos in th new Mandurah store? I'm over for the coastal conference next week.
cheers

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Oct 2014 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

I should have the all star 14 x 25"on the 29 th and the 12'6 x 24" a little bit after that. can't wait.

post some photos

supallday
84 posts
25 Oct 2014 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Found this last night. Trev from sunny coast on his new 2015 12"6 24 star.. Man he's quick

windara
QLD, 256 posts
25 Oct 2014 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..

Slack said..

Tang said..

SaltH20 said..
Here are a couple of pics of the new 8'0 x 29" pro for 2015.

As far as price point on the brushed carbons...Starboard has an exclusive agreement with the Cobra factory to be the only company able to use the technology that goes into them. The material that is used inside the boards is about as expensive at carbon itself. You get what you pay for.

Take a look at the prices of the new Naish carbon race boards if you want sticker shock!

Hey salth2o, what's the volume off that 8'0"? And thickness?
cheers

8'x 29" x 3.9" 111L

Mmmmmmmmmm.

are thinking of going back to a starby Tang?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 starboards????" started by Tang