Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 sunova 8'10"flow

Created by Wolfie104 > 9 months ago, 17 Dec 2015
Wolfie104
NSW, 16 posts
17 Dec 2015 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Decided to write this because the guys who came up with the sunova board options must have done some serious testing.
The board is a flow 8'10" /31" wide 119 ltres . This board is a dream, sure there are variables depending on the conditions.
Descend into a bottom turn on a decent wave and you,re away, carve over the face, drop into steep sections that you normally wouldn't expect to make and stall it anywhere you want this board is true performance.When you first pick it up this board actually looks and feels like a surfboard it doesn't look big the ratio between you and the board is perfect the bottom curve and rail outlines are all how they would look on performance short board i haven't seen another wave/sup with this much refinement.
The weight comparison to a 8'10" jp surf pro is virtually identical. Pull up handle works well,light colour materials means the board stays cool if left in the sun, the clear finish masks the usual rail chips.
A sunova dealer could have one available to demo or just pick one up put it under your arm you,ll soon know which one feels right sometimes its that simple , anyway thats what i did and it worked out well

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2131 posts
17 Dec 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the report.

What are your dimensions? I assume you are a pretty handy surfer.

What was the stability like while waiting out the back?

Wolfie104
NSW, 16 posts
17 Dec 2015 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Glad you read the comments my height is 180 cm weigh around 82 kg. the board feels like its bit narrower than 31" took about 4 sessions to tune in to the sweet spot stability now easy The off the rack 8'10" has more volume around 130 ltre the board i have for some reason only has 119 ltre i'm glad feels super light on a wave, paddles good regret not getting it earlier

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
18 Dec 2015 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers for the review I have ordered a 8'4x 29 3/8 and 113 liters I'm so excited I'm coming off a naish 8'3 x32 130 liters so will be a big step down but can't wait it should be in Australia mid jan.. How come there was a difference from the off the shelf modle was it a custom board.. How did the board paddle ??

Wolfie104
NSW, 16 posts
18 Dec 2015 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

perfect choice 8'4" flow think your excited now wait till you've had your first good session, these boards are so easy to use , underfoot they feel tiny. It paddles good not great but what does when you go small,anyway good is still ok.The board i bought was a forced choice, originally ordered 9' style didn,t arrive i was left boardless could you imagine not having a board so my only option was to choose from showroom stock two choices 8'7" or 8'10" at 119 litres (seems the shaping machine didn't stop on time ) anyway couldn't be happier.My custom 9' style could be keeping your board company in the same container also due same time mid jan

SUPbru
386 posts
19 Dec 2015 1:55AM
Thumbs Up

I think Bert & team decided to beef up the original Flow by adding >10% more volume e.g.

- the initial 8'4 was 3 7/8" x 100l vs the current model at 4 1/4" x 113l
- the initial 8'7 was 4" x 110l vs the current model at 4 3/8" x 124l
- the initial 8'10 was 4 1/8" x 120l vs the current model at 4 1/2" x 134l

On all accounts both versions rip however the current models are slightly more forgiving

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2131 posts
19 Dec 2015 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slugga said..
Cheers for the review I have ordered a 8'4x 29 3/8 and 113 liters I'm so excited I'm coming off a naish 8'3 x32 130 liters so will be a big step down but can't wait it should be in Australia mid jan.. How come there was a difference from the off the shelf modle was it a custom board.. How did the board paddle ??

I will be interested to read what you think of the Flow versus the X32 (mind you, the dimensions are pretty different). I have the 8'8" X32 but now my fun board is the 7'10" minion (me: 6'3" 90 kg and rising...). I flirted with the idea of getting a Flow but went for a 10' Style instead - completely opposite direction.

Wolfie104
NSW, 16 posts
19 Dec 2015 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

hey Supbru your explanation about varying volumes wouldn't suprise me these guys never rest.

Wolfie104
NSW, 16 posts
19 Dec 2015 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

hey Slugga that naish x32 sure looks like a cousin of the flow just a bit more area in first 3rd, got a mate with one he likes it he wouldn't lend it so maybe he more than likes it? Did you say your 6'3"? glad we're becoming mates.Also did i read right no flow for the bro??? Too many choices,but that's not abad option the 10' style i think comes with a handbook outlining the acceptable maximum daily wave tally, cheers Will

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
19 Dec 2015 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

We have the original 8'10 Flow demo for sale.

8'10 was 4 1/8" x 120l
Mint condition. PM me for details.

Wolfie104
NSW, 16 posts
19 Dec 2015 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

apologies to Slugga reply mix up looked at profile photo cantSUPenough very similar must admit i was confused while writing it !

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
19 Dec 2015 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said...
slugga said..

I will be interested to read what you think of the Flow versus the X32 (mind you, the dimensions are pretty different). I have the 8'8" X32 but now my fun board is the 7'10" minion (me: 6'3" 90 kg and rising...). I flirted with the idea of getting a Flow but went for a 10' Style instead - completely opposite direction.

Yer the dimensions are really different between the x32 and the flow but I'm looking for a board that paddles straighter and handles steeper waves the x32 is so mush fun but when it gets sucker it's tough with the rail shape and it is so bobby to paddle especially when surfing my back hand I was looking at the 8'7 flow at 30 wide and 124 liters but thought I would challenge my self with a 8'4. I feel the flow will be more of a aggressive shape more traditional surfboard shape compared to the naish I will do a review when it arrives from Thailand in a month

supthecreek
2616 posts
20 Dec 2015 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

I have been playing with the 9'2 Flow for the past 2 days, in some great waves.

I will need some more time on the Flow to give any real thoughts on it.... but I am having fun so far!
Yesterday had size and suck...... the Flow handled it well.

The 1st pic is the only other guy out for the session.... there were a lot of waves at that size when we 1st went out... and the Flow was very comfortable in them.
(no pics... so it didn't happen )

Next are some pics showing how the Flow handled steepish drops and walls....

The last pic is a friend surfing some OH New Jersey juice, a few days ago on my Flow..... apparently enjoying it

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2131 posts
20 Dec 2015 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slugga said..

cantSUPenough said...

slugga said..

Yer the dimensions are really different between the x32 and the flow but I'm looking for a board that paddles straighter and handles steeper waves the x32 is so mush fun but when it gets sucker it's tough with the rail shape and it is so bobby to paddle especially when surfing my back hand I was looking at the 8'7 flow at 30 wide and 124 liters but thought I would challenge my self with a 8'4. I feel the flow will be more of a aggressive shape more traditional surfboard shape compared to the naish I will do a review when it arrives from Thailand in a month

I like the look of the Flow, but I have bought two Sunova's in 2015 so maybe three is going overboard... Plus I have trouble choosing which board to take out as it is. Someone needs to make an app - enter the surf conditions and it chooses the board. Good problem to have I suppose. But as you say, the Flow looks designed for true wave riding.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2131 posts
20 Dec 2015 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
I have been playing with the 9'2 Flow for the past 2 days, in some great waves.

I will need some more time on the Flow to give any real thoughts on it.... but I am having fun so far!
Yesterday had size and suck...... the Flow handled it well.

The 1st pic is the only other guy out for the session.... there were a lot of waves at that size when we 1st went out... and the Flow was very comfortable in them.
(no pics... so it didn't happen )

Next are some pics showing how the Flow handled steepish drops and walls....

The last pic is a friend surfing some OH New Jersey juice, a few days ago on my Flow..... apparently enjoying it

Looks like some fun conditions!! Great photos!

What is it like compared to the Speeed? Do you need to put as much weight back - can you turn on the rails? I assume it isn't as fast down the line as the Speeed. How will you decide which board to take out?

supthecreek
2616 posts
20 Dec 2015 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

I am reluctant to say much, because I have only been on it a few times.

It catches waves very easily, it's surprisingly fast and feels snappy.... but I was pretty conservative yesterday.... just feeling it out.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 sunova 8'10"flow" started by Wolfie104