Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2017 Starboard Ace 27"x14'

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 24 Aug 2016
Goochi
WA, 846 posts
24 Aug 2016 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

I got to try out the new Starboard 27" Ace today. I had previously owned the 2014 model so I was very interested to see what had evolved over the past 3 seasons with it's disappearance from the Starboard line up.

Shape - first up the board has been refined. It now looks like a slightly larger version of the 25", rather than a voluminous beast. We put the 25" (2016) alongside the 27" in the water and it was difficult to see any difference in rocker shape. In fact front on the both boards looked almost identical in the nose area - including width! The 27" does become a little fuller towards the tail - immediately behind where you stand - which gives it the stability edge (more about that later). Concave thru the middle and rounded rails, everything you have come to expect from the Ace range.

Cockpit - first glance you see the upper rails as box like, rather than the sharper rails we have seen for the past 2 versions of the 25". I assume the 2017 25" will have the same shape. The cockpit is more open than the 2014 model and the kick up at the extreme tail end within the cockpit is a great touch to assist with water drainage. It also is quite comfortable to step back for a kick turn in this raise position.

Performance - it is light, I was out with a mate and we picked up both the 2016 25" Ace and the 2017 27" and could not pick a difference in weight between to the two! If anything the 27" was lighter!! Starboard had indicated new construction techniques this year had brought down board weight whilst maintaining strength. Taking on for a paddle this was evident as well. The board is lively - it is nothing like it's previous ancestor - it runs and behaves like.....like a 25" Ace! The 2014 was heavy on the catch, this board picks up on the catch and planes thru the drive. Speed testing between the two on the flat was similar and we swapped over and found the same - the new 27" is a match for the 25" over a short sprint.

Stability - of course you'd expect the 27" to be stable, that is a given and also why it has been sorely missed from the Starboard range over the years. This version doesn't disappoint. The run however is surprising and this comes down to less weight and less volume in my opinion. These elements alone will dictate how well it will go on the ocean which is what it is designed for. There is nothing more thrilling than driving an Ace down a bump and feeling the acceleration and light pick up that these boards are known for. At last there is an option for the heavier or taller paddler, but this time there appears to be no compromise in speed and performance.

This is a great board for any immediate to advanced DW paddler over 85kg.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
25 Aug 2016 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Great review Greg.

Can I just point out one wonderful new addition on the 2017 board that I can see in your photos - the option to attach the handle on the side wall rather than just in the cockpit. The first 14' Ace had the handles on the side wall and it was the best way to carry the board. The handle in the middle of my 2016 is very awkward even though it's perfectly placed and balanced, because the dugout is so deep, the side wall cuts into your forearm while you are carrying.

nosaj27
QLD, 271 posts
26 Aug 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the photos and the review. The new Ace looks awesome but I am not so sure about those really square edges on the top of the rails and the dugout. I predict there will be lots of bruised shins from paddlers either falling out of or trying to climb make into the Ace. OUCH

SupersizeP2L
44 posts
27 Aug 2016 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

too thick also, no weight saving

SupersizeP2L
44 posts
27 Aug 2016 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Slab
1101 posts
27 Aug 2016 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

I know folks love these boards and they seem to go very very well......I just don't like dug outs full stop......give me a clean shape anyday.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
28 Aug 2016 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SupersizeP2L said...
too thick also, no weight saving

They are thick for sure but the already good secondary stability is even better. Also board felt like it projected up and over lumps better as a result. Too thick? Not for me.
Weight from all the boards I've seen is definitely lighter. My 14 x 25 weighs in at 12.8kg which is 500 grams lighter than previous versions. 14 x 27" versions I've seen were around 13.5kg which is a big improvements over past 27" versions.
Also improved this season is the liveliness down wind as the fin box has been moved forward quite a lot. This made the board quite a bit looser and easier to handle in bumps.
New board is a good-un for sure.

SupersizeP2L
44 posts
29 Aug 2016 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Thks for feed back Sam, mine will be on the home soon

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
10 Oct 2016 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Managed to finally take the ACE 14' x 27" for a downwinder on the weekend so I thought I would add to my earlier review.

I can honestly say this board bears no resemblance to it's previous incarnation on a DW - aside from the name and colour. It is essentially a 25" Ace with some kind of illusion coat over the top of it - a very stable coat at that!

I could not fall off this board, the primary stable rolls nicely - but the secondary stability is intuitive now. I think by refining the sides of the board, it now behaves consistently no matter where you stand. Before it felt like the spot directly over the handle was the sweet spot and if you were caught outside this point on an unexpected roll/wave you would be thrown (This is on a 25" wide ACE). The old 27" was just a barge in this example, it felt cumbersome and slow in comparison.

My speed was consistent and manoeuvring was as easy as the 25".....I cannot work out how they managed to do this! It feels like a board that should be 2-3" narrower in terms of stability. I felt I could get all my power down on top of such a stable platform.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was the new Fin shape. With the fin box sitting further forward now (which is great), it felt like it locked into the line of the wave a little too well. I'd be keen to try a smaller dolphin style fin next time to compare.

The ACE has always been a great DW board ,very fast. It is now lots of fun, because you don't need to be of medium to small height and weight to ride one.

ibrow
VIC, 1 posts
16 Oct 2016 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Can you tell me if the ace is a good all rounder looking at the new 27 for a ocean padding board

Area10
1508 posts
16 Oct 2016 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, it's a good all-rounder.

You've got to like dug-out decks though. Some people love them, some don't.

SupersizeP2L
44 posts
8 Nov 2016 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

SupersizeP2L
44 posts
8 Nov 2016 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
8 Nov 2016 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

nice one SupersizeP2L, wanna go dw with the ace!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2017 Starboard Ace 27"x14'" started by Goochi