Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Advice on JP 10'2 x 35 Wide Body For Surifng

Created by BigunzNJ > 9 months ago, 22 May 2014
BigunzNJ
5 posts
22 May 2014 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys - looking for a little advice. 46 yrs old, 285lbs avid surfer and athletic guy for my size - looking to get into SUP surfing on knee to chest high waves here in NJ. I have been flat water paddling for about 2 years on a big ole 12 ft Surftech (12x34x5) and want to take up SUP surfing. Have recently demo'd the 9'10 Finatic allwave and feel like its a little wobbly and lethargic paddling for waves and a heck of a workout just standing waiting for waves. Of the waves I did catch the board seems to "surf" great. Thinking the JP 10'2 x 35 wide body would give me the stability and float while still offering a "fun" maneuverable experience on small to medium sized surf. Any thoughts? have any of you guys tried this board? I really appreciate any advice or help here. Aloha.....and thanks!

Oldboy52
VIC, 34 posts
22 May 2014 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hey BigunzNJ

I have 2014 JP 10'2 x 35 and are very happy with it. I am 90KG but take my son out with who is 40kg (8) years old a total weight of 130kg or 286lbs and it floats us no problem at all. I brought this board so my wife could also get use to it in vary small waves as she had never been on a sup in her life but was keen to give it ago and she had tried a lot of boards and found this to be the most stable of all the boards we tested. I wanted a board i could surf in small to medium waves after coming back to surfing after a 25 year break. And i am sure I made the right choice. Many of our friends that we camp with over the summer tried out my board and it was the crowd favorite because of the stability in undulating seas. Even a slight rolling wave a can tip off a beginner when side on the wave. I have a good mate of mine who is your weight a big solid lad 2 axe handles across the shoulders and very solid and strong. He struggled on all the all-round boards of my friends as there just wasn't enough flotation there for a man of his size. As DJ says stability = fun no stability = no fun. Over the last summer I have been getting better and better at getting the best out of my new sup and loving it. I have had the fin set 2 thirds of the way back and left there all summer so I had some consistency when walking the board and in different condition's. I just recently slid the fin all the way forward and that really loosed it up. For me coming back to surfing after such a big break it was the right choice and it ticked all the boxes for the family. I have attached some snaps. I hope this helps.
Cheers oldboy

Oldboy52
VIC, 34 posts
22 May 2014 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry forgot to mention you may want to try out the Starboard whopper 10 x 34 at 170l and or the whopper extra which is closer to the JP wide body at 10 x 36 and 208l. The JP 10'2 x 35 is 228l so has the most volume of the 3 boards but I have not surfed the Starboard whopper or the extra but hear the newer 2014 models are better than the 2013 ones. All I can say is I have surfed mine in heavy surf small surf and windy to hot days with next to no surf and it dose it all well.
Cheers oldboy.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
22 May 2014 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Mate, I am big, was 120 kgs (so 260 ish lbs) and love my JPs. I think try out the JP Fusion 10'8 x 34 before splashing out your hard earned. i haven't tried the 10'2 x 35 because the fusion is more surf oriented, and still paddles well in the flat. So I loved the 10'8 and then the 10'2 and now love the 9'8 x 31 pro.............

Food for thought

Oldboy52
VIC, 34 posts
22 May 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Shiresup
I think you are on to something there.The JP Fusion 10'8 x 34 at 193l it would be a great board if you want the next step in surfability. The Fusion is high on the list for my next board.....
Cheers oldboy

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Advice on JP 10'2 x 35 Wide Body For Surifng" started by BigunzNJ