Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Info on the Starboard 7'4 x25.5 pro

Created by Dan83 > 9 months ago, 6 Aug 2015
Dan83
62 posts
6 Aug 2015 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Who out there in the sup world has some info on the starboard 7'4 x 25.5 pro??

What's it like to surf?

How does it paddle?

Whats is the stability like for such a small board?

And last question, what fin set ups do you use?

Cheers

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
7 Aug 2015 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

I have been waiting for someone else to reply to your query as i have the next size up which is the 2015 7 7” x 27 Starboard Carbon Pro.

But they are very similar boards that share the similar traits, so I will be able to help with some info.

The pros are dedicated to high performance sup surfing, and this can be seen with the outline being very similar to high performance short surf boards and how many guys use them in the elite contests around the world.

I like paddling the smaller boards as they take less effort to push through the water, having said that you always lose some glide when you come down in length.

The performance on the wave itself is fantastic with all the shorter SB pros.

I don’t find yawing is a problem, and I find it pretty easy to keep in a relatively straight line.

I am 83 kg, and would not want to put on much more weight to keep riding the 7 7”, To have it at a guess to ride the 7 4” successfully you probably want to be around the 60 – 80kg mark, and if closer to the 80kg be an experienced paddler.

I like the thruster set up, as I think they pivot better off the bottom when you are hunting the lip.

Justin Holland absolutely rips on the 7 4” and won the inaugural Rottnest Classic on it in WA this year, it was a pleasure to watch.

It would be good to hear his take on his 7 4”

(Not that he has ridden it recently since his renowned seshion at cow bombie in WA but I am sure he remembers/ and it won’t be long before we see him on the new 2016 model)

Dan83
62 posts
7 Aug 2015 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hey loz,

Thanks so much for your detailed thoughts on the board.

They look like a great high performance shaped sup. which is what I'm looking at in a new board.

I see the 2016 7'4 model looks like it maybe 83 litres, 5 litres more then the 78l 2015 model.

I watched a couple of video segments of Justin surfing there. He sure does rip on that 7'4.

I always wondered if he surfed the 7'7 or the 7'4 or a bit of both. And yes it would be awesome to get his thoughts on the board.

Cheers again

Dan83
62 posts
7 Aug 2015 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Info on the Starboard 7'4 x25.5 pro" started by Dan83