Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Jimmy Lewis Kwad 91 or Stun Gun 92/97

Created by Rleshem > 9 months ago, 6 Mar 2015
Rleshem
23 posts
6 Mar 2015 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

I am a beginner wave SUPer and have been on a friends SB drive and element. I want get my first wave board and am debating between the JL Kwad 91 or the Stun Gun 92 or 97. I am 80kg.

I'll be mostly surfing waist to cheer high surf.
Any info on which board is easier to progress on will be great.

Cowville
WA, 36 posts
6 Mar 2015 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Kwad but also don't rule out the striker.

Slab
1101 posts
6 Mar 2015 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cowville said..
Kwad but also don't rule out the striker.

Agree.

Rleshem
23 posts
6 Mar 2015 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks!

What would be the differences between the Kwad and Striker ? Which will be more suited to a beginner?

riverider
TAS, 1100 posts
6 Mar 2015 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rleshem said..
Thanks!

What would be the differences between the Kwad and Striker ? Which will be more suited to a beginner?

Both are great boards, but the striker is a better nose rider than the kwad, the Kwad is better in the bigger stuff and at your weight if you go the striker the 8'11" would be better, you could probably go the 8'7" Kwad to, I find the stungun doesn't really start to fire until it's shoulder high.

Slab
1101 posts
6 Mar 2015 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Striker would be better for a beginner BUT depends on the size you get. Striker comes in 9 5 and 8 11. If you were more experienced the 8 11 would be good to go at your weight. If you are a total beginner then the 9 5 a better bet. I have not surfed one - but one is on order.

It has a very stable template - the 9 5 would be rock solid stability wise and everyone says they surf great.

The 9 1 Kwad will still be a stable board at your weight.

Striker is more a longboard shape with performance in the tail. is a 2 + 1 set up.

Kwad is a four fin - and the board has more rocker and a not so wide nose so better for bigger but at waist to chest high you should have no issues on a longboard shape...in fact people are telling me they ride Strikers in double overhead.

A lot will depend on the waves you surf and want to surf. Think further down the line on where you might be in 6 months to a year. Either one would be great really - just depends on your style and if you want to be able to noseride too.

There is a thread on Strikers on here too...plenty info.

I have been told that the larger Kwads are not so great - too much weight in the nose - but I think we are talking the 9 7 version up.

Slab
1101 posts
7 Mar 2015 3:06AM
Thumbs Up

Not to confuse you......but if you have a variety of waves to contend with don't discount these

Rleshem
23 posts
13 Mar 2015 4:00AM
Thumbs Up

Ended up getting the 91 Kwad and took it out today in waist-high condition.
Super fun board - very stable and catches waves fairly easily. I was even able to carve into the wave a couple of times.

Thanks for the advice!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Jimmy Lewis Kwad 91 or Stun Gun 92/97" started by Rleshem