Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish Alana 10"6 or ECS EVO 10"6 for Beginner

Created by lisamarie > 9 months ago, 25 Oct 2015
lisamarie
NSW, 6 posts
25 Oct 2015 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys!

I am very new to paddle boarding but absolutely love it and want to buy myself a board! I am looking at these two boards above but cannot decide which one to choose. (Open to suggestions of other boards also :)

I am looking for an all rounder as I will mostly be using it on flat water but may jump on a few baby waves once I gain a bit more confidence with it all. I am 165cm tall and weight 80kg. Needing something pretty stable to learn on as I have terrible balance! lol

Your recommendations are much appreciated :)

Lisa :)

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
25 Oct 2015 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

I don't know the other board very well but I know the Alana 10'6" Nalu very well and it's an awesome board.. You should try and demo both because there's much more to a board than its overall dimensions and price.. The handle and deck pad are often overlooked and very important.. Let us know what you think after demo'ing and/or buying.

lisamarie
NSW, 6 posts
25 Oct 2015 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks so much David! I will take your advice and give them a go! I demoed the Neish Nalu 10'6 today and it was a great board....although it was my first try on a board ever so I was pretty shakey! haha

Tardy
5024 posts
26 Oct 2015 5:47AM
Thumbs Up

The Nalu's are great boards .the 11' won't be as shaky due to the extra 1'width ..31 instead of 30 ..but doesn't have the flowers or mermaids .
you will get better ,the more time you spend on the water .It is a good choice .
the Alana paddle also is a good combo.
Tardy.

mickeyb
NSW, 60 posts
26 Oct 2015 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

EVO every day of the week. They are an excellent quality board and a reasonable price. They are an Australian designed board and ECS is an Australian company. Nalu's are great also but imo the price difference between the two cannot be justified.

lisamarie
NSW, 6 posts
27 Oct 2015 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mickey! That makes me feel better about buying a brand that isn't so well known. And you're right - there is at least a $500 price difference in the package price between the brands. Wasn't sure how much it was justified.

lisamarie
NSW, 6 posts
27 Oct 2015 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice Tardy :)

lisamarie
NSW, 6 posts
3 Nov 2015 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone else had any experiences with ECS boards? They don't seem to be as well known as Naish boards so want to make sure I am making the right choice :)

NTAA
NSW, 55 posts
4 Nov 2015 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I've been riding an ECS 8'6" PW2 brushed carbon board for twelve months. It's a good quality board and I'm very happy with it. It's stong, durable, light weight, surfs exceptionally well and is great value for money. I surf it two to three times a week on average and it is still in excellent condition. If you can afford to, it's worthwhile spending the extra money on a brushed carbon model. You will appreciate the lighter weight when lifting your board on/off your car. The EVO seems to be available only in wood. However, it will still be a good quality board but a little heavier. Perhaps consider the ECS Wide Boy in brushed carbon ? Make sure you demo the board(s) your keen on before you buy and make sure you're happy with the stability, performance, weight etc.

pohaku
NSW, 850 posts
4 Nov 2015 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah mate, iv been riding ECS for around 4 years now. Absolutely love them! Iv used all the boards and I also sell them, the evolution over the past few years has been our biggest seller.

Great at for surfing, flat water & yoga. The new 2016 10' weighs only 9.7kg (give or take)
the covers are great iv travelled to indo, philipines, America a few times with them and no damage! Paddles are super light and strong.

Put it this way, my whole family and a heap of friends all ride them!
Cant go wrong and your SUPporting the Aussie sup companies!

lisamarie
NSW, 6 posts
7 Nov 2015 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks so much for the extra info and recommendation :)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish Alana 10"6 or ECS EVO 10"6 for Beginner" started by lisamarie