Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish Hokua X32's 2015 Construction

Created by Rossall > 9 months ago, 4 Dec 2014
Rossall
WA, 711 posts
4 Dec 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

already on the 2014 x32 and love it and thinking of upgrading to the 2015 model

can anyone comment on the new construction GT VS LE ie weight, strength, worth the extra $$$$ , ding ability

thanks

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
5 Dec 2014 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hey rossall. I found after about 6 sessions on the GT my footprints were well and truly stamped into the deck. Found the
LE nice and light compared to the wood and the deck seemed more robust. Both boards had an excellent finish. Compared to the 2014 Nalu I had, which chipped as you looked at it, the rails put up with a beating. Not one mark. I do tape my blades though.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
5 Dec 2014 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

The LE construction on the x32 is IMO pretty much bullet proof. Not so strong on the regular Hokua LE range though.

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
5 Dec 2014 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

I have had 3 Naish, 87, 9 Hokua and 10 6 GT Nalu (still have it)
Friend also has 9 Hokua.
Up side all excellent performance boards for there given purpose

Down side quality eg excessive fading of deck grip, loss of diamonds on deck grip, board bags do not fit, very fragile construction eg both my and friends had a crack appear in a similar location for no obvious reason, nose of boards damage easily and more however repeat performance is up to standard and
I still have my Nalu and treat it with extreme care and it it not used in surf but still has construction issues.

We can not be alone on these issues. I have now moved to another brand for my surf sups and all good after 12 months.

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
5 Dec 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Glad I'm not the only one. Why are the majority so quiet on these issues? I too love my 10'6" nalu and treat it with kid gloves, but probably won't go for another yellow board until they have all their issues sorted. Guess the only reason i haven't strayed too far is slick sales. Not to say they're not great to surf because they are. There's just too many great products out there now; to blow your hard earned coin on what feels like a flash in the pan is gut wrenching.

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
6 Dec 2014 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't want this thread to become a Naish bashing thread just wanted to know first hand thoughts on 2015 LE construction vs 2015 GT construction that's all.

Not really interested in the deck pads fading etc, the shape and volume distribution is superp ! . I have had my current 8,3 for 12 months and used it virtually every week for a year, it's been to Bali, Lombok, washed up on the local reef twice and hit the beach many times but still going strong. Yes the pads have faded and yes a few minor dings but I have certainly had my $$$$ worth Ten times over on fun factor and learnt so much over the year.

phil

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
6 Dec 2014 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

I've owned several GT boards from Naish. I've never had an issue with their construction. My feelings are if something goes wrong in that respect with somebody's board, its more of a case of bad luck than poor construction.

Slab
1101 posts
6 Dec 2014 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

I have a Nalu GT 2014........not a mark, dent, ding, scratch or anything......solid IMHO.

skebstebamal
QLD, 579 posts
6 Dec 2014 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

I had a 7'10x32 2014 le ang now a 2015 7'10x32 le.

im heavy and did leave some foot dents in the 2014. but the board was heavily used for a season and didnt get one ding.

the 2015 le is lighter, but it feels harder. ive only had a handfull of surfs on it and not a mark so far.

great board

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
6 Dec 2014 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

I am pleased to hear of some positive reports and by no means is my post brand bashing and based on my post I feel this remark is well out of line.
It just got to me when out of 2 people and 4 boards had condistent issues.
Ok next comments on forum I would expect are: did we go back to the shop and my answer is no as the shop went out of business and the boards only had occasional use and as such faults showed up 6 months on. I have had several brands and over 10 boards in my 5years of SUPping and am a non aggressive surfer but close to average skills for my age.
Only 2 brands I have had have had the problems I mentioned.

Do not take this as a brand bashing just comment and wondering if others have experienced the same. I can provide photos however I do not feel this is warranted

flowmaster
294 posts
6 Dec 2014 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

I'm on a X32 from 2014, in use from april, visible fading of deck, darker spots are where my feet are, light dents in same spot, almost nothing, not a scratch or ding or lose of diamonds. Board bag fits ok.

Happy customer.

I've been told, that the 2015 have a honycomb reinforcement on the deck, and because of that, it should be a lot stronger against heel dents.

warwickl
NSW, 2222 posts
6 Dec 2014 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Again great to hear of positive comments.

The boards I have and had perform superbly but construction from our experience is lacking.

I live in the Newcastle area NSW plus visit northern beaches Sydney from time to time and if possible would like to have a look at any boards mentioned in previous posts. I can aldo show my Nalu.

Hope anyone can rebuild my condidence in Naish.

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
6 Dec 2014 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Warwickl you're not brand bashing. Someone asked for opinions, every has one. I'm sure every brand has a bad year, or a bad model. No different to cars, bikes and all the other "essentials". It's just disappointing sometimes when you fork out 2K plus for a board and it becomes old really quickly. The 2014 yellow boards i owned were great as usual, but had issues. The 2015 boards have addressed some of these issues, and with all the competition will undoubtedly continue to improve. They are still awesome sup boards and always will be, just maybe need to keep a tighter reign on Quality Control at the production end. All these boards seem to be being manufactured a long way away from where they were first designed to be used.....

Slab
1101 posts
6 Dec 2014 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Warwicki......did you go back to the shop first?

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
6 Dec 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

So are we all saying it's worth the extra $$$ for the LE and the LE is tougher than the GT (2015 only please)

anyone had a 2015 LE vs GT on the scales for a weight comparison

phil

ps just sold my 8'3 this afternoon so need to know soon can't think of a better shape on the market in the 130 ltr , mega nose rocker, super stable type at the moment unless I go MINION !!!!!!!

Cobra
9106 posts
6 Dec 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

i can't believe some blokes on here, they want light weight boards + they don't won't dents and marks on their boards,,,IT DONT WORK LIKE THAT.
i have the LE and GT they are both light LE being the exception.
both dent and the GT does have a issue with the deck being on the softer side COMPARED to the LE.
don't know about you blokes but the deck of the board has no impact on the performance of a board.
like a short board it only comes into it when resale comes along.

flowmaster
294 posts
7 Dec 2014 3:24AM
Thumbs Up

hmmm, t might be, cause windsurfing boards came from poor constuction to what you can buy now, like Witchcraft surfboards, very light en super super strong.
So people expect, its gonna be good, bomp proove or close and light weight,( Witchcraft has a video to prove there construction in wich they use a hammer to prove it, and yes, there very light and strong, so it can be done.)

So honeycomb epoxy carbon light constuction and this kind of money.welllllll that should be goooooood.

Jeroensurf
915 posts
7 Dec 2014 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

Dents can become cracks and they leave water inside your board....
So I can,t believe that some blokes here accept a crappy construction as most high end boards like my carbon Starboards cost me +/- a month salary.

Area10
1508 posts
8 Dec 2014 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

I just thought that I'd add my name to the list of people who have a 2014 Nalu that chips far too easily. The graphics on one side rubbed off in the first 3 sessions too, so I guess that side had not received a top coat or lacquer or something too. A friend of mine has the GS version of the board from the same year and is also unimpressed with the durability. Perhaps someone from Naish needs to get over to the Cobra factory and find out the source of the variability in quality? The early Naish "carbon" boards were very solid and durable, and not too heavy. So it's a shame they don't use that construction any more, IMO.

djansen
QLD, 77 posts
8 Dec 2014 12:39PM
Thumbs Up

Yep I have a 10.6 Nalu 2014 and watch the paint fall off and would you believe it if I said its around the centre FIN??? Not just on the side rails

Rosall, get he Minion from Deep the quality is freakin awesome (they also make all the Dolphin surf craft..lifesaving and Iron Man stuff) And no this is not a plug for Deep.

BUT if there is a better product out there and I can help my fellow Supmen then I will grab a megaphone. Because Naish I am over IT. Great freakin boards but ****house quality!

I even drove 2.5 hours to check the Deep/Dolphin Factory before I ordered my minion.

Needless to say that when I picked up my Minion and surfed it, bashed it with my paddle , bashed against the side of my car Blah Blah Blah I went back to the factory and have now ordered my new Mal....same shape as my Naish 10.6 Nalu but in a 10 footer and slightly less rocker and volume!

The guy can custom make anything for you it ridiculous that we have to put up with such crap from indo workshops. Now if Naish was American made I would probably reconsider but. There not and I reiterate...great shapes, ****house quality and for the money?????

I will post pictures when I get it

regards

D

Markyb
NSW, 41 posts
8 Dec 2014 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Last years X32 at Makaha Hawaii December 2014

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
8 Dec 2014 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks D. Not alone. Even though that's how it felt when i approached the supplier. "Nothing we can do, bad batch, blah blah blah". Deep you say? Looking for something that surfs as well as the x32 that won't make me cry in my beer, half a dozen sessions later....

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
8 Dec 2014 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djansen said...

I went back to the factory and have now ordered my new Mal....same shape as my Naish 10.6 Nalu but in a 10 footer and slightly less rocker and volume!

Did they scan the Nalu to come up with the shape? and what are the dimensions and volume of the new board?
Sounds appealing, would love to know more.

Sharper
QLD, 82 posts
8 Dec 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said...
Thanks D. Not alone. Even though that's how it felt when i approached the supplier. "Nothing we can do, bad batch, blah blah blah". Deep you say? Looking for something that surfs as well as the x32 that won't make me cry in my beer, half a dozen sessions later....

I have two Jimmy lewis boards ... I cry with joy. My next board will likely be another JL.
I can't believe how strong they are. My JL Stun Gun is so light and solid I started to suspect that they may have made it from carbon by accident.
The new JL world wides might be an option worth considering if you're looking at that sort of width.

djansen
QLD, 77 posts
9 Dec 2014 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

Hey Brenno, I cant say enough about the Minion just check out the thread www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/DEEP-Oceanboards-72-Minion-Review/

takes a couple of surfs to dial it in but WOW

While I was there I had them scan the Nalu as I do like that shape (Pin Tail with a California style nose) but I want a little less rocker. I will post pics when I get it. Very confident in getting these guys to do a high performance custom mal if the quality of the minion is anything to go by. And a little cheaper I must say

DeOpressoLiber
2 posts
9 Dec 2014 3:42PM
Thumbs Up

Fellas, Question I hover around the 105-110 kilo range. I am not an expert paddler but consider myself experienced. I am buying a new x32 9'6 GT from Hawaii and was wondering if any you blokes around my weight are riding the 9'1 and if it is stable enough for you. I am looking for some stability and comfort at 42 years of age.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
9 Dec 2014 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 95kg and find my 9'1" a bit tippy in anything but calm water.. I reckon go the bigger board at your weight.

LordKuz
NSW, 260 posts
9 Dec 2014 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DeOpressoLiber said..
Fellas, Question I hover around the 105-110 kilo range. I am not an expert paddler but consider myself experienced. I am buying a new x32 9'6 GT from Hawaii and was wondering if any you blokes around my weight are riding the 9'1 and if it is stable enough for you. I am looking for some stability and comfort at 42 years of age.

I am over 20kg lighter.. however... the couple of times Ive had a x32 9'6" out.. I can tell you that its super stable - probably something that you will find perfect for you expectations of comfort and stability. Question for you though.... how come you purchasing from Hawaii? Is it cheaper than from any of the Australian dealers?

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
9 Dec 2014 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers D. Lovin' the shape and surfing style of my Laird 10' surfer, probably even more so than my 10'6" Nalu. I'm amazed at the size of waves i have been able to throw this board at and not go pearling. It would be great to combine the raw rip down the face of a wave nalu, with the more stolid laird. I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some stage as i slowly but surely sink in to the deck of my made in china laird....

Sorry. This is a thread about x32. 9'1" was super stable for my 6'3" 98kg. Surfed beautifully. Soft deck. Hard rails. Yay.

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
9 Dec 2014 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Don't worry Brenno I have given up on the original question

DeOpressoLiber
2 posts
10 Dec 2014 5:04AM
Thumbs Up

looking at the Naish site that's really all I could find. if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am paying roughly 2100 for the board and upwards of $450 for shipping. It hasn't arrived in HI yet.

Rick

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish Hokua X32's 2015 Construction" started by Rossall