Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SIC FX 14

Created by SurfNiels > 9 months ago, 16 Sep 2015
Area10
1508 posts
2 Apr 2016 5:54AM
Thumbs Up

Well I'm very happy if it is basically aimed at the All Star market rather than the downwind one: I've already got five 14ft downwind boards... But since it is competing with the All Star then it might be a problem that there isn't a cheap construction version. 24lbs is very light, but in most markets the FX is also very expensive. The cheaper construction All Star is a lot more affordable for most. So, if the FX is not quite as fast in flat water as an All Star (as Big Winds seemed to be claiming) then it's pretty critical that it's clearly better at something else, eg. downwind or BOP etc.

robon
114 posts
2 Apr 2016 6:22AM
Thumbs Up

One review from a shop (101 surf sports) mentioned the fx having the edge on flatwater and the allstar being the more stable and competent board in DW conditions for most level of paddlers. I think the allstar and the vapor are definitely closer in application than the FX. The nose shape of the allstar and stability would and should make it more forgiving in DW conditions, which is what 101 surf sports reported and a higher level of paddler could probably go faster on the FX in conditions. That makes sense given the nose shaper being not nearly as rounded on the FX and the shape being more streamlined over all.

Area10
1508 posts
2 Apr 2016 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

I don't think the All Star and the Vapor are similar at all. The Vapor is a flat-rockered downwind board, and it's closest rival is probably the SIC Bullet V2. It's a 100% planing hull/nose board.

The All Star is aimed at people who race flat water and mild chop, primarily. It's a hybrid displacement/planing design. The 14x28 All Star is probably aimed mainly at downwinding, but the other sizes are probably for people who paddle flat water or chop 80% of the time, and want a board that has mild DW capabilities but won't embarrass them in a flat water race. Although the Vapor is very nice to paddle in flatwater, like the Bullet V2, it isn't going to pass muster as a flat water race board. It's about 5% slower than a similar width and weight displacement flat water board. In other words, you'd be about 3 minutes an hour slower on the Vapor, which would probably just about ruin your flat water race chances. The All Star is probably going to be more like 2-3% slower than a dedicated flat water board in a flat water race I should guess. In racing terms that's a big advantage over the Vapor. But get the Vapor downwind and it would smoke pretty much anything that isn't a full-on DW board (and many of those that are) and would be faster for ocean racing and flat water than a heavily rockered DW board too.

So, as I say, I think the All Star and the FX are pretty much competing for the same potential buyers. But there is an affordable All Star option, whereas you need to have a large disposable income to afford a FX.

I can see why SIC stopped making most of their race boards in the cheaper TWC construction: they were so heavy that it did affect performance. But it's a shame that they haven't managed to find a compromise construction (like maybe the Surftech Pro-Elite, half carbon) that is much cheaper and eg. a little under 30lbs weight, which would appeal to a lot of people. I'm finding it hard to justify spending something like £2600 GBP or more on a board that I know won't be worth more than £1k after a year. That's crazy depreciation.

robon
114 posts
2 Apr 2016 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

You got it all figured mate....

Area10
1508 posts
2 Apr 2016 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

I'm just envious, and thinking aloud, trying to justify buying one to myself. I need a new board for use in pure flat water but I don't particularly enjoy the way that dedicated flat water boards handle, and it would be nice if whatever I bought could also be useful in the sea.

It is curious that the two reviews that have compared the All Star and the FX have reached different conclusions in some respects. I wonder if it might be because one tested 14fters and the other tested 12-6s. I'm not quite sure why lengths should make a difference, but sometimes 12-6s and 14s can handle a little differently even when they are versions of a particular design.

robon
114 posts
2 Apr 2016 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure exactly but very similar comments for DW conditions were made for the FX in both reviews as far as a paddler having to actively move their feet more in DW conditions. The 101 surfsports review stated the Allstar was much more forgiving downwind, more stable in cross chop, and it was an easier board to use as conditions got heavier. An example was not having to move at all on the Allstar in some circumstances, whereas the FX required more hopping around to correct. The review stated the FX required much more attention downwind than the Allstar for the 12'6" test. They state that an advanced rider would be faster on the FX DW, but "we suspect most paddlers would be much faster on the forgiving allstar". Not surprising given the softer rails, rounded nose with more volume, and the reputation for the Allstar being stable. So, all out speed for an advanced rider for most conditions? The FX might get the nod but I'm picking up from these reviews and paddler comments that the Allstar is the more forgiving board as conditions get heavier, would suit paddlers having more of a DW bias, and it seemingly hits a larger demographic who don't want as steep a learning curve in the bumps.

Slab
1101 posts
3 Apr 2016 2:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
robon said..
Not sure exactly but very similar comments for DW conditions were made for the FX in both reviews as far as a paddler having to actively move their feet more in DW conditions. The 101 surfsports review stated the Allstar was much more forgiving downwind, more stable in cross chop, and it was an easier board to use as conditions got heavier. An example was not having to move at all on the Allstar in some circumstances, whereas the FX required more hopping around to correct. The review stated the FX required much more attention downwind than the Allstar for the 12'6" test. They state that an advanced rider would be faster on the FX DW, but "we suspect most paddlers would be much faster on the forgiving allstar". Not surprising given the softer rails, rounded nose with more volume, and the reputation for the Allstar being stable. So, all out speed for an advanced rider for most conditions? The FX might get the nod but I'm picking up from these reviews and paddler comments that the Allstar is the more forgiving board as conditions get heavier, would suit paddlers having more of a DW bias, and it seemingly hits a larger demographic who don't want as steep a learning curve in the bumps.

Exactly why I am ordering one....an Allstar that is. I've tried hard to find negative comments on it but not really come up with any! Personally I am all for having an easier life on a board...fun factor....but then you guys have been at this longer than I and might prefer more of a challenge.

supsurfers
QLD, 171 posts
4 Apr 2016 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

It has a lot of volume that sits the board high on the water. Shall be interesting in DW and side wind very fast in the flat with small chop
Weight is very good 14x25
Thing shall be a big seller
If you want to try and are on the Gold Coast let me know

SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Apr 2016 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Everybody is getting one

Rideordie
159 posts
6 Apr 2016 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

We there you have it Area 10. "Everbody is getting one". That includes you. Enjoy!!

Area10
1508 posts
6 Apr 2016 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rideordie said...
We there you have it Area 10. "Everbody is getting one". That includes you. Enjoy!!

That's funny! Maybe. But I can probably go custom cheaper. So I might support local business instead. But it is a lovely looking board and I'm sure it's exactly what very many people are looking for, regardless of price. Buying the Vapor at £1000 (so closer to 2000 AUD I guess) cheaper than a FX would cost me has kinda adjusted downwards what I'm willing to pay for a SUP.

Funny, for most of the last 7 or so years of SUP I've been willing to ever increase my spending on a board. But now I'm starting to look for value, looking carefully at the constructions, weights etc and asking what I'm actually getting for my money. The depreciation on full carbon boards is just so steep - in the UK it can easily amount to more than £100 a month, even if you never used the board.

SUPerD
182 posts
7 Apr 2016 1:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Area10 said..

Rideordie said...

That's funny! Maybe. But I can probably go custom cheaper. So I might support local business instead. But it is a lovely looking board and I'm sure it's exactly what very many people are looking for, regardless of price. Buying the Vapor at £1000 (so closer to 2000 AUD I guess) cheaper than a FX would cost me has kinda adjusted downwards what I'm willing to pay for a SUP.

Funny, for most of the last 7 or so years of SUP I've been willing to ever increase my spending on a board. But now I'm starting to look for value, looking carefully at the constructions, weights etc and asking what I'm actually getting for my money. The depreciation on full carbon boards is just so steep - in the UK it can easily amount to more than £100 a month, even if you never used the board.

Always good to have early adopters like you willing to spend on the latest and greatest.. .

SUPerD
182 posts
7 Apr 2016 1:27AM
Thumbs Up

Rideordie, any comments yet on the new SCC with Innegra construction? I'm guessing you're babying your new baby, but even some feedback on the apparent stiffness/toughness of the build would be appreciated..

Rideordie
159 posts
7 Apr 2016 4:06AM
Thumbs Up

Oooh, yeah. Glad you asked. This is by far the stiffest board I have ever ridden. It's a beast!! Does not shudder when whacking oncoming waves. Hoping for some calmer days when I can stretch it out some more. I still can't believe how fast it is on flat water. Build quality is excellent in every way. Expect it to be very durable. I am not babying it, but I did put the Rail Saver Pro XL tape on it to keep it from being paddle whacked. Best looking board I have owned. The fat rails have saved me from side spills several times when I would have been swimming with the X 14 Pro. Love the new full flat pad under my feet and the narrowness of it.

SUPerD
182 posts
7 Apr 2016 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

...nice. And that folks, is what everyone wants to hear... Getting what you pay for.
So I take it there's no numb feet issues with the pad? I find that on long flat water paddles where there's no need to move around on a board I get numb feet from most of the diamond tread pads..

Rideordie
159 posts
7 Apr 2016 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

No issues caused by the pad. It is smooth, but has some grip. No cleats. Makes it easy to scoot around as needed too. Very comfy pad. It is nicely done. Took it out again today. 6+mile round trip with flat water, but 10 mph sustained wind the entire trip. Average moving speed 4.9 mph and top speed 5.7. This was a good race training run, but I was not paddling at 100%. challenging pace, but could have gone a bit faster. That is every bit as fast as I was on my X 14 Pro. Maybe faster for those conditions. This board might be faster overall than the X14 Pro for me. If I can get a nice no wind flat day, I will be able to tell you for sure. It carries speed and accelerates so smoothly. I feel like I am paddling better and more efficiently on this board. Less fatigue too.

Area10
1508 posts
8 Apr 2016 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Does the board come with the race handle, or do you have to buy it separately?

Rideordie
159 posts
8 Apr 2016 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Race handle and fin are included.

Rideordie
159 posts
8 Apr 2016 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

And a big grin!

Hawaiiheke
319 posts
8 Apr 2016 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Wish I had that bad boy for a race here tamorra!

hanza1111
84 posts
8 Apr 2016 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rideordie said..
Oooh, yeah. Glad you asked. This is by far the stiffest board I have ever ridden. It's a beast!! Does not shudder when whacking oncoming waves. Hoping for some calmer days when I can stretch it out some more. I still can't believe how fast it is on flat water. Build quality is excellent in every way. Expect it to be very durable. I am not babying it, but I did put the Rail Saver Pro XL tape on it to keep it from being paddle whacked. Best looking board I have owned. The fat rails have saved me from side spills several times when I would have been swimming with the X 14 Pro. Love the new full flat pad under my feet and the narrowness of it.

This is the exact reason I'm going off brushed full carbon race boards. Just ding way too easily. Especially when we have beach races twice a week in summer. I love the SIC carbon construction. I've been lucky to borrow a X12'6 prolite for the summer and had quite a few people whack it with all the close quarter starts/turns etc, and I expected a ding but nothing but a scratch! :)
Boards are costing way too much these days and I'm looking at durability more, even if it's 1kg heavier. Board design and the paddler make the board go fast, not a thin carbon skin.
Would hate to be fixing my board every week after some racing like I'm seeing with some people!

Rideordie
159 posts
9 Apr 2016 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

With Inegra reinforcement In the nose, rails and tail, it's ready to do battle!!!

Rideordie
159 posts
12 Apr 2016 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Out in 12 mph wind with confused chop and side wind. Figured out that for me the balance point is with your toes close to the rear of the hand hold well. This lifts the nose slightly and improves stability. Interesting it seems to improve the speed and glide on the flats as it planes. Old bad habit from the Glide V2 is to get a bit forward to engage the nose. if you get centered over the handle or you get to the to get too far forward, the boards seems to tilt a bit forward and does not seem as balanced and loses a bit of stability.

mitchboo
9 posts
12 Apr 2016 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Would you recommend the X ( not pro ) to a begnner racer 95kgs ? Or something wider ?

Area10
1508 posts
12 Apr 2016 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mitchboo said...
Would you recommend the X ( not pro ) to a begnner racer 95kgs ? Or something wider ?

Yes, absolutely - assuming that your racing is mainly flat or flatish water, and you are new to racing, not a total beginner. Several of my larger friends have got on very well with my X14, and it is a lovely board to paddle, and certainly fast enough to race even though it doubles as a long distance touring board as well. The X14 even does surprisingly well in ocean chop.

Another board to consider if you are a bigger unit, or just like stability, is the Bark Eliminator. A bit more stable and floaty than the X14, but maybe just a tiny bit slower.

Nozza
VIC, 2859 posts
12 Apr 2016 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Helmy jet lagged and probably asleep.
I'll help him out.

Rideordie
159 posts
12 Apr 2016 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Just saw a note on FB. It says that Georges Cronsteadt will be riding a hybrid version of the FX at the Carolina Cup. Not a production board. I suspect that it is the grey colored 24 inch wide version that I posted a while back. Georges placed second a couple of years ago and gave Danny Ching a great run for his money. He came in third last year behind Travis Grant and Danny. It will be interesting to see if Sonni Honscheid and Lina Augaitiis are riding the FX at the Cup as well. I suspect that they will. Sonni and Lina came in a crazy close second and third to Annabel Anderson last year. This year Candace Appelby will be there as well. It is going to be a huge race. They are expecting 800 paddlers from all over. I am really excited to cheer on my brand paddlers and see the best in the world compete.

SurfNiels
182 posts
13 Apr 2016 3:06AM
Thumbs Up

This is probably the one, Braly Joy paddled it at the Dana point harbor Challenge

Rideordie
159 posts
13 Apr 2016 3:30AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, that's the one I was thinking.

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
13 Apr 2016 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nozza said..

Helmy jet lagged and probably asleep.
I'll help him out.

Now rail taped & ready to go...
School drop off in the morning, but may have to skive off work early enough to get a late afternoon paddle in.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SIC FX 14" started by SurfNiels