Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard 8'8" Air Born VS 8'10" Wide Point ?

Created by Brenno > 9 months ago, 12 Dec 2014
Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
12 Dec 2014 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All.
I realise the Star Board demo van is touring the country, unfortunately the closest destination is a long way from here.
Has anyone had the pleasure of demoing these two boards, or had experience in previous years models, and willing to share their thoughts (especially the bigger guys).
Particularly interested in their stability, surfability and last but definately not least, DURABILITY.
Thanks in advance.

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
13 Dec 2014 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

I have ridden the 8'8" 15 and 8'10" 14. So no direct comparison but I hear the new 8'10" wp is quite a bit different in a good way. Thinner tail, more nose rocker so sounds good, I learnt a lot on that board (2013 )and loved it.

when I demoed the 8'8" I was struggling to see what this board was all about, they say it's for beach breaks mostly but there doesn't seem to be too much nose rocker in it ti ride steep fast beach breaks, well that's our local beach break ?????

definetly do some research on the new 8'10 I have only seen it on the rack but looked promising

phil

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
13 Dec 2014 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers phil, IMO the one thing you need on a lippy beach break is plenty of nose rocker. However some boards (and i won't mention the war) have a little too much, making paddling back out slow and hazardous. Tricky getting it just right. Thanks for your feedback.

Rossall
WA, 711 posts
13 Dec 2014 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah opened a can of worms there didn't I, !!!!!! it certainly wasn't my intention. Yeah big fan of nose rocker something less to worry about when you drop in.

Phil

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
13 Dec 2014 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

I'll make it my mission to put one through it's paces in the new year. Drop it in real late and see how it fares! Definitely my favourite SUP move.

Jeroensurf
915 posts
14 Dec 2014 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

I have an AB8.8 and the fuss is about that there is finally a pretty high performing board for the bigger boned surfer in ****ty conditions: choppy, low and slow waves.
In the past you could for that kind of waves choose between an easy allrounder that turn less tight or a pro board that generates less speed in the slow waves and is harder to balance on in really nasty choppy/strong current conditions.

I used to have the first WP8.10 and haven,t paddled its latest incarnations, but the WP2014 I have seen looks to me compared to the AB much more as an allrounder. Better in slightly bigger waves, less nimble and slightly slower acceleration in the slow stuff where the AB is specialized in making the most of the less perfect slow/low stuff.
Of course you could stay on the beach if that kind of conditions are seldom at your spot, but for me at the Northsea with rarely a decent clean swell, short period wind waves are often the best we get.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
14 Dec 2014 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

I actually asked this question today and it would appear that the new 8'10 is a much different board from previous years. I was looking at the 8'8 AB but I am concerned the volume is just not there for my, lets just say generous frame. So I think I will be looking at trying an 8'10 WP I think.

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
14 Dec 2014 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Greg, hearing you. Like a bit of volume too. Have learnt a lot about shape and stability from this forum. I have a high volume board that is less stable than a board 30 L less, just by shape and rail placement. I was hoping someone had tried both these boards on the recent Starby demo tour and could chime in. Maybe after it's wound up.

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey every body ....

Thought id throw my 2 cents in on the AB8.8 ..

been riding it now for a few months and i wouldn't let the 123 litre s turn you off cause it actually does not feel like low for some reason .. The boards so stable its not funny .... I'm 93kegs aswell and a pretty ave surfer ..

Its catches waves pretty easy .. You deaf have to be closer to where its breaking tho as it takes a couple of strokes to get her planning ...I can stand out the back with out a paddle in the water no worries even up till about 10kt s ...

Board rips in the surf it just feels easy 2 ride ...can be a bit slow tho when not on rail ... I also have a 8.8 x32 and i reckon this board accelerates faster and climbes the face quicker or something ..

The AB s definitely more stable as well .. But i can't make up my mine which 1 is the keeper ....

I had an 8.10 WP before this and its a totally different beast .. Im glad i moved on from that board ..

Any way hope that helps a bit ...

Brenno
QLD, 891 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers mick. Appreciate your thoughts. I liked the x32 too but......no, don't want to start throwing stones again. There's a shortish, squarish, squirrely fun board coming next year. I can feel it in my salt laden bones......

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
22 Dec 2014 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Brenno HAHA ..

I dont wanna no what that board it .... Ill be ordering it 2 night .. LOL

Its like a drug this sup sport ... The more boards you buy the more you want them ..

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
22 Dec 2014 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Brenno would this be the shortish/squarish squirrelly board you're referring too?

Jeroensurf
915 posts
22 Dec 2014 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

That is a fun looking boardProbably too small for me, but I like the idea.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard 8'8" Air Born VS 8'10" Wide Point ?" started by Brenno