Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard Hyper Nut ( Minion, Vanguard, MPH )

Created by Surfrod66 > 9 months ago, 3 Mar 2015
crakas
QLD, 448 posts
4 Dec 2015 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

That is a nice board... I think I want one...

Stumpi
VIC, 186 posts
4 Dec 2015 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
crakas said..
That is a nice board... I think I want one...

Wait til you ride one!

Wicksy
QLD, 153 posts
4 Dec 2015 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stumpi said..
Oh My God Oh My God Oh My God...
She's here, she's perfect, she's rail taped and is ready to rip!
Build and finish is Starboard par excellence...

So happy!

Thanks to the guys at Starboard and ZU for such amazing service, you all rock!

Lucky Bast#*d!!

Jersey891
15 posts
7 Dec 2015 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stumpi said..
Oh My God Oh My God Oh My God...
She's here, she's perfect, she's rail taped and is ready to rip!
Build and finish is Starboard par excellence...

So happy!

Thanks to the guys at Starboard and ZU for such amazing service, you all rock!

Stumpi- Is that a Huypernut specific bag? Im on the verge of getting one- but cant see if starboard has a fit specific bag for this weird shape. Its no where on the internet

It took me a Long time years ago to track down a starboard bag specifically for my pocket rocket-

Im in an apt..and my boards get dinged more doing in and out of my building than the surf!

BerserkWarrior
VIC, 30 posts
7 Dec 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Stubby board bags:

www.flyingobjects.com.au/products/surf-sup/travel-cover-sup-stubby/

Stumpi
VIC, 186 posts
7 Dec 2015 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry for the late reply,

Yeh that's it. My board is the 7'8 x 30 and the bag is 7'10 x 30 and fits perfectly. Its pretty good quality, on a par with most others I've had. the benefit being a YKK zip, the internal pocket and the air vent.. all nice touches.

They're not bloody cheap these days though!

Ned19
2 posts
4 Jan 2016 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
barney64 said..

6' 10" x 26 keep you posted ,when we get surf

Any updates on this one?

Super curious to try one of these for myself, so any advice and info is appreciated - have read through this whole thread in detail already :)

A bit of background on my skills... This is my first season on a short SUP but feel I'm getting along pretty well. Now at 20 days, riding a 2014 Starboard Pro 8.0x28. I'm on the smaller side at 5'8 and 65 kg. I'm a long time kiter - twin tips and strapless boards.

At this point I am quite comfortable riding head high waves, making bottom turns, turning and riding both directions on a wave, and just starting to make something resembling a top turn. I've had little trouble with the 8.0 Pro on I'm on now, although I understand the 2015 and 2016 are considerably more stable - mine is only 90L. I only run into trouble when there is a lot of chop and/or I'm getting tired, then I start to fall off a lot more often.

Things I like about the sound of the Hyper are the smaller length and maneuverability. Wondering if the 6'10 is going to be way more difficult than my 8'0 for paddling, or pretty similar. Or maybe the 7'2 will be the one to go with.

A friend locally has a 7'4 that I will try soon, but I feel that is unlikely to be the optimal size for me. Regardless still stoked to give it a burn.

Anyone else out there been on the 6'10 and 7'2??

colas
5064 posts
4 Jan 2016 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ned19 said..
Wondering if the 6'10 is going to be way more difficult than my 8'0 for paddling, or pretty similar.

This will be quite different!

You can prepare yourself however to tackle 7' boards on your 8' by using as little fin as possible (just a 4" central fin for instance, or even just a nubster), and training to paddle without row, and perform mock take offs (from a full stop to full speed) without spinning in place.
This will raise your paddling technical level to help the transition.

Afterwards, a 6'10" should be nice for your weight... but it will paddle more slowly than a 8', even with a stellar technique.

Ned19
2 posts
9 Jan 2016 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Ah good points. Will hopefully learn a bit more soon, should be able to get on that 7'4 this weekend!

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
10 Jan 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

The 7'10 and the 8 footer both fit into the 7'10 board cover. It really is a great bag

supit
22 posts
14 Sep 2016 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Everybody,

thought you should know that we've just published the Starboard Hypernut 7'2''X28'' Blue Carbon full review.
Check it out @ www.standuppaddling.it/content/view/3723

Cheers,
Marco

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
14 Sep 2016 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Great review Marco, sounds like you loved it!

supit
22 posts
14 Sep 2016 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yep! We all loved it. Thank you.

Cheers,
Marco

Rango
WA, 704 posts
19 Sep 2016 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Marco. Have you been back on a pro board since riding the hypernut?any disadvantages? I'm almost convinced to get one.
Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard Hyper Nut ( Minion, Vanguard, MPH )" started by Surfrod66