Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Sunova flow 8'7 x30 120 liter review

Created by slugga > 9 months ago, 24 Feb 2016
slugga
VIC, 172 posts
24 Feb 2016 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

I've had 4 epic sessions on my flow now ranging from 2 foot offshore to 5 foot offshore and I'm totally in love.. This board is amazing it paddles great has good stability and on the wave it's true performance.. I was riding a 9'2 x 30 x 135 liter Jp surf for a big wave board and a naish 8'3 x32 130liter board for small waves im 5'11 and pushing 100kg and been sup surfing for 18 months.. I'm now selling the naish and keeping the Jp for a spare board for mates.
The first surf on the flow in 3 foot offshore beach breaks I did not know what to do with all the speed.. I was forgetting to turn and just racing down the line. Next two surf I've got the board diled in now and the turns on the board are true rail turn full power turn but I am able to get the tail free and get it to slide. On the naish I really struggled on my back hand well the flow rocks I surfed a left the other day and had one of best surfs on my backside the bottom turns were smooth and the turns were full rail round house turns back into the foam.

boards are made really well the construction is top notch sharp rails clean lines feels like a real surf board where my Jp feels more plastic and the rails have chipped away real bad.
Down the line the board drawers big clean lines and speed is effortless not like the naish which I found to be squirty.
I'm so impressed with this board and how quickly I have felt at home on it there has been no time where I've felt I made the wrong choice in board. im no pro so it's not the most tech review so here are some photos to show how I'm finding it ..

supthecreek
2616 posts
24 Feb 2016 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yowza! Ripping it up slugga!

Your words were just fine.... and the pictures back it up.... well done!

It's fun to see how passionate Sunova riders are..... there is something very special about this construction and Bert's shaping.

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
25 Feb 2016 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers supthecreek yer I so impressed with the build of the board and also the design. I can't see my self buying another brand board in the future..
I heading over your way in August I'm in Massachusetts for my wife's sisters wedding my wife is from New Hampshire. We are staying on the coast some where I'm trying to plan a day or two either on the cape or Gloucester for a surf of hunt some tuna I might contact you for some info on board hire and surf breaks when it gets a bit closer

burleighlocal
255 posts
25 Feb 2016 4:38AM
Thumbs Up

great comments slugga.

Can you make comment on the rocker and nose? how was it in the larger waves?

rails? how do they catch dropping in and down the line?

how is the board for stability? does it sit nice or does it bob side to side?

how is the paddle out? does it get through waves easily and can you step back and lift the nose and ride over the incoming wave/wash easily?

I'm demo'ing this board this weekend…had a good look at in a few days aga..I like the outline of the soul more but the feedback on the 2016 is pretty good so far.

cheers

Stev0
419 posts
25 Feb 2016 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Great review. Sounds very similar to the Acid 8'11 x 30" @120L. I also found going backside easier on the Sunova. Which I could get my Acid out in the conditions you score! You are ripping with only 18 months of SUP!

supthecreek
2616 posts
25 Feb 2016 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

slugga, please let me know when you are going to be here.
It would be great to meet up for a session.
I travel all over New England chasing surf and have friends up NH and Maine, so I can see a road trip coming

I can probably hook you up with a board as well.

burleigh.... here's a link to a thread on the Soul.... a lot of people asked about how it compares to the Flow, so it might be worth a read.
The interesting thing between them is how the sizes and widths begin to equalize as they get smaller.

www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29179.0.html

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
25 Feb 2016 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burleighlocal said..
great comments slugga.

how is the paddle out? does it get through waves easily and can you step back and lift the nose and ride over the incoming wave/wash easily?

I'm demo'ing this board this weekend…had a good look at in a few days aga..I like the outline of the soul more but the feedback on the 2016 is pretty good so far.

cheers

Ok so the rocker is alot flatter than my Naish 8.3 x32 but similar to my jp 9'2 surf. its flatter through the deck with a good rise on the nose. I took off on a couple of late drops last week in 4 to 5 foot offshore and it handled it no worries. in the bigger stuff it really felt at home. The bottom turns are clean and you drive out of them and into turns really easy where as the naish was a real effort to get my feet on the rail to do a big bottom turn. I found I did not have to move my feet as much while on the wave the back foot was pretty much planted with small adjustments to turn.

The rails are really clean, the board turns on its rail and roundhouse turns were so easy carrying speed through the turn into the white water on both forntside and backside.
Stability.... Right from the first session I felt really comfortable its a great board to paddle I still have a few wobbles but thats to be expected when dropping between 10 and 15 litres from my other boards. there is no bobbing side to side and front to back where as the naish was terrible sometimes front to back. Paddling out its a dream it punches through waves really well I prone paddle out a lot or the time or through the white water i go on my knees and ive had no trouble at all. It catches waves easily too way easier than the naish which i had to sit right in the breaking zone to take off as the wave was breaking , but the sunova I can paddle into waves nice and straight and get into position well before the wave hits.

I had looked at getting a soul but I think its more of a crusier board like the skate i I think its more like a jp widebody or Fanatic allwave or starboard wide sort of thing I think the performance will be down in place of stability.
The flow is a step down from the acid so its still full performance but still has the stability. you wont be dissapointed at all.

Hay Supthecreek we are flying into New york and flying out of boston I know the second week we are staying on merrymeeting lake in NH but I will have a car last time I found good waves around Rye Nh I aslo got to go to York beach but the waves there were average there. I think the closest place I will get to will be along the portsmouth coast near Kittery or Ogunquit area...
the first week we are in Norwalk on the coast but there are no waves there. I would have to head north towards the cape for waves or over to the hamptons but not sure if they get swell there. Any way I will PM you when it gets closer. cheers Sam.

burleighlocal
255 posts
25 Feb 2016 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slugga said..

burleighlocal said..
great comments slugga.

cheers

Ok so the rocker is alot flatter than my Naish 8.3 x32 but similar to my jp 9'2 surf. its flatter through the deck with a good rise on the nose. I took off on a couple of late drops last week in 4 to 5 foot offshore and it handled it no worries. in the bigger stuff it really felt at home. The bottom turns are clean and you drive out of them and into turns really easy where as the naish was a real effort to get my feet on the rail to do a big bottom turn. I found I did not have to move my feet as much while on the wave the back foot was pretty much planted with small adjustments to turn.

The rails are really clean, the board turns on its rail and roundhouse turns were so easy carrying speed through the turn into the white water on both forntside and backside.
Stability.... Right from the first session I felt really comfortable its a great board to paddle I still have a few wobbles but thats to be expected when dropping between 10 and 15 litres from my other boards. there is no bobbing side to side and front to back where as the naish was terrible sometimes front to back. Paddling out its a dream it punches through waves really well I prone paddle out a lot or the time or through the white water i go on my knees and ive had no trouble at all. It catches waves easily too way easier than the naish which i had to sit right in the breaking zone to take off as the wave was breaking , but the sunova I can paddle into waves nice and straight and get into position well before the wave hits.

I had looked at getting a soul but I think its more of a crusier board like the skate i I think its more like a jp widebody or Fanatic allwave or starboard wide sort of thing I think the performance will be down in place of stability.
The flow is a step down from the acid so its still full performance but still has the stability. you wont be dissapointed at all.

Hay Supthecreek we are flying into New york and flying out of boston I know the second week we are staying on merrymeeting lake in NH but I will have a car last time I found good waves around Rye Nh I aslo got to go to York beach but the waves there were average there. I think the closest place I will get to will be along the portsmouth coast near Kittery or Ogunquit area...
the first week we are in Norwalk on the coast but there are no waves there. I would have to head north towards the cape for waves or over to the hamptons but not sure if they get swell there. Any way I will PM you when it gets closer. cheers Sam.

Great feedback..thx

I'm the same as you in I'm coming off an Hokua x32 le and as you know that Naish Rocker is forgiving in so many ways…tends to push a bit of water but is failsafe in steep drops.

I have an open mind on the FLOW but was/are still very keen on the ACID 8.10 @ 116L or the Acid XL 8.8 @ 113L.

I will demo the FLOW 8.7... however because of the volume and my weight I may lean toward the FLOW 8.4 @ 110L

Your comments are just the feedback I need…I want something to get pretty aggressive with and what you say about the FLOW may tip me back to the this being THE next board purchase.

re your comments on the SOUL as a cruiser…the FLOW has had quite a bit of volume removed from the tail section more into the middle to retain volume (if I'm correct on what I saw)…noticeable when both are compared next to each other.

colas
5064 posts
25 Feb 2016 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

I like on how your pics show what is the signature of great boards: the ability to carve with all the the rail in the water, up to the nose.

When the rider have to stall in turn to avoid using the front rail, it is the sign of a badly designed board (for non-retro logs that must be driven by pivot turns, of course)

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
25 Feb 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burleighlocal said...
slugga said..

burleighlocal said..
great comments slugga.

cheers

Great feedback..thx

I'm the same as you in I'm coming off an Hokua x32 le and as you know that Naish Rocker is forgiving in so many ways…tends to push a bit of water but is failsafe in steep drops.

I have an open mind on the FLOW but was/are still very keen on the ACID 8.10 @ 116L or the Acid XL 8.8 @ 113L.

I will demo the FLOW 8.7... however because of the volume and my weight I may lean toward the FLOW 8.4 @ 110L

Your comments are just the feedback I need…I want something to get pretty aggressive with and what you say about the FLOW may tip me back to the this being THE next board purchase.

re your comments on the SOUL as a cruiser…the FLOW has had quite a bit of volume removed from the tail section more into the middle to retain volume (if I'm correct on what I saw)…noticeable when both are compared next to each other.

A mate was in a 8'8 acid and has just gone to a 8'4 flow simmilar liters but shorter bit more stable but still aggressive to surf. You will love it coming off the x32 these boards catch waves so much better than the naish and turn a lot cleaner you won't regret it good luck on the decision

kitemantim
147 posts
25 Feb 2016 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Did you ever consider the Speeed

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
25 Feb 2016 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitemantim said...
Did you ever consider the Speeed

No never I like traditional shapes and clean lines the speed or a stub nose board just does not appeal to me ..

kitemantim
147 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, understand where you are coming from, Are you running as the original thruster set up or have you played around with the fins, or even tried quad on it ?

slugga
VIC, 172 posts
26 Feb 2016 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitemantim said...
Thanks, understand where you are coming from, Are you running as the original thruster set up or have you played around with the fins, or even tried quad on it ?

Actually running the standard fins in thruster I usually use shaper Jackson close fin set but have not put them in this board as yet I have found the fins in it are quite good

bobajob
QLD, 1535 posts
26 Feb 2016 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

""Ok so the rocker is alot flatter than my Naish 8.3 x32 but similar to my jp 9'2 surf. its flatter through the deck with a good rise on the nose. I took off on a couple of late drops last week in 4 to 5 foot offshore and it handled it no worries. in the bigger stuff it really felt at home. The bottom turns are clean and you drive out of them and into turns really easy where as the naish was a real effort to get my feet on the rail to do a big bottom turn. "I found I did not have to move my feet as much while on the wave the back foot was pretty much planted with small adjustments to turn." ""

That's what I like to hear

burleighlocal
255 posts
26 Feb 2016 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

supthecreek said..
slugga, please let me know when you are going to be here.
It would be great to meet up for a session.
I travel all over New England chasing surf and have friends up NH and Maine, so I can see a road trip coming

I can probably hook you up with a board as well.

burleigh.... here's a link to a thread on the Soul.... a lot of people asked about how it compares to the Flow, so it might be worth a read.
The interesting thing between them is how the sizes and widths begin to equalize as they get smaller.

www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29179.0.html

Thx for that link supTC

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Sunova flow 8'7 x30 120 liter review" started by slugga