Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

tracking on a naish javelin gx 14x28 2015

Created by nixon4 > 9 months ago, 8 Sep 2016
nixon4
QLD, 12 posts
8 Sep 2016 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hello all,i just wanted some feedback on my uneven tracking on my paddling sessions.I am 95 kg,178 cm,don't know if that matters,and I paddle mostly in flat conditions on the Nerang river.I paddle good on my left side,feels strong and even and I can paddle and keep the tracking of the board for 20 strokes or more,but when I go to paddle to the right side I start veering to the left after only 5 strokes,,it could be calm as and no wind,and still veering to the left.If I go for an hour paddle I have to paddle 75 % on the left side just to keep the board straight,,has anyone experienced this???if so any feedback would be great.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
8 Sep 2016 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

That thing you're doing on the left side? Do it on the right side

My guess, without seeing you, is you're probably tracking the paddle in a nice straight line and holding the paddle nice and vertical on your left side (ie not following the board outline) and on your right side you're either sweeping the paddle around a bit or not holding it vertical (or both). This'll happen if you're right handed. You might also be weighting a rail a little when paddling on your right side.

See if you can get someone to video your stroke from a few angles, you might be able to pick what you're doing. Even better - book a session with a good instructor/coach who can check you out and give you some corrections.

If you can't do either of those, slow down observe what you're doing on the good side - and incorporate some focused drills in your sessions - focus in keeping the paddle vertical and tracking the paddle straight on your weak side. There are a few good stroke technique drill vids on youtube.

Area10
1508 posts
8 Sep 2016 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, I agree. Nearly everyone is better on one side than another, and we all differ according to how large this difference is. At least you've got one side working!

You might have greater flexibility of movement on one side than another that is causing an asymmetry in your paddle stroke. The opinion of a physiotherapist might be useful. But you may have to just concentrate more on getting your technique right on your weaker side.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2131 posts
8 Sep 2016 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

Check your board and make sure it is not like this I have the same problem (perhaps not quite that extreme), but in reverse. I have been trying what Mr. Cartoon suggested. I notice that my paddle is not as vertical on my left side. It is as if I am not reaching out as far. Are you goofy or natural? Are you left or right handed. (I am right handed and natural.)

Husat
QLD, 43 posts
8 Sep 2016 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

I had that! Thought my board was bent, fin twisted, paddle curved the wrong way. Turns out it was me, the board was fine. Get someone competent to spot you, follow you for a lap. It's possible to train your board to go straighter. Get caught 5km out to sea with a cross-wind on your weak side and the next morning you will be aware of exactly which muscles need the work.

nixon4
QLD, 12 posts
8 Sep 2016 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys for all the great input,,i am right handed and normal stance,,but funny enough,i kick with my left.I do notice that I do have trouble keeping my paddle vertical on my right side,seems as though I can't get it across far enough.I will check my board to see if bent,but I do think it's just me, as I had a friend paddle it,and no favouring to one side..I guess I will get a trainer to have a look from behind..I was also thinking about getting a thinner board,,Starboard allstar 14x27,,they look great and the prices have dropped as well for 2017.I don't know if having a thinner board would remedy this..Thanks again.

Tardy
5026 posts
8 Sep 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Yep their right ..
I changed the fin on my 14x 28 GX
I USE a 10 inch naish dolphin ...huge difference to the little porker that's supplied .
i found the arse wouldn't stop moving around .

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"tracking on a naish javelin gx 14x28 2015" started by nixon4