Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

200m "Fastest paddler on earth" in Germany Vid

Created by TrevT > 9 months ago, 26 Jun 2014
TrevT
QLD, 136 posts
26 Jun 2014 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys

I made a quick vid from last weeks sprints in Germany. There was a strong field in this race including Danny, Connor, Zane, Casper, Beau, Jacko, Jake, Titouan, Dylan and others

It was a really fun race and well run event and was awesome to see 5 of the top 10 guys on Starboards

Cheers, Trev

.be

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
26 Jun 2014 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

looks like it would hurt, a lot Interesting mix of technique. I like yours and Danny Chings. Would like to see some slow mo of some paddlers going flat out. Nice work.

Dynymor
VIC, 77 posts
26 Jun 2014 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see the technique of the best paddlers in the world. Thanks for posting!

Desflurane
114 posts
26 Jun 2014 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

So quick , interesting that Danny Ching changes legs when he changes sides.
He was streets ahead.

Clarky
QLD, 290 posts
26 Jun 2014 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Can clearly see Danny Chings outrigger canoe background in his technique.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
26 Jun 2014 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Clarky said...

In what ways do you mean?

Great vid! One thing I noticed is the sprints seemed to bounce along a lot ( obviously they are quick with that many at the pointy end of the table) but Danny's board seemed to just glide along smoother.. Is this just his technique possibly?

Danny Lee
SA, 133 posts
26 Jun 2014 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...

Clarky said...

Great vid! One thing I noticed is the sprints seemed to bounce along a lot ( obviously they are quick with that many at the pointy end of the table) but Danny's board seemed to just glide along smoother.. Is this just his technique possibly?

Definitely stands out doesn't it. The starboards really seems to bounce around a lot compared to the Naish also.

What board is Danny on? A search shows 404??

PeterP
845 posts
26 Jun 2014 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Supracer.com said he was on a 24" 404. Ching uses more rotation than most of the others and maintains an incredible cadence. I don't think the bouncing up and down has much to do with the boards, thats more down to paddlers technique. In canoeing they try and keep the vessel steady and Ching seems to do this as well. Having said that the "bopping" technique seems to work well for the likes of Connor, Zane and our local kid Dylan.

Definitely the fastest 200m sprints we've seen but I think we need to make mention of the wind - there seems to be a 5-10knot tailwind which is not huge but had it been a headwind it could have cost as much as 5-10secs (semi-educated guess) - the wind was a big factor in the 200m sprints we've done and a favourable gust even makes a difference so real record's should probably be recorded in less than 2-4knots to be comparable.

We have a 200m back and forth course which I occasionally use for interval training and I have a GPS device which works on start finish intersects and gives me my time immediately after I cross the finish so I've experienced the effect of wind with some degree of accuracy. My best is 1:03 with a solid tailwind........so just a tad off the pace there mate......

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
26 Jun 2014 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

It's not a very pretty paddling technique when it's pushed to a frantic pace like that.

I'm thinking the 'bopping' thing might be something that is just like we do on a windsurfer when pumping the sail to try and get onto the plane in light winds and by un weighting the board with each pump we try and unstick the board from the water.. Connor does it a lot on downwinders when he's trying to catch a runner.. Be bends his knees.. pushes on the board and springs up just as he puts the power into the stroke so the power from the stroke is pushing an unweighted board forward.. Some may think this bouncing and bending technique is because of an effort to dig the blade deep while using as shorter paddle as possible.. Maybe it's both.

Clarky
QLD, 290 posts
26 Jun 2014 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Danny Lee said...

AndyR said...

Clarky said...

When paddling either a 6 man or a single canoe you want to avoid lunging as you will force your craft deeper into the water making more drag due to more surface area in the water. It can also cause the bow/nose to dive into the water displacing water. without going into to much detail you can see that Danny had more twist through his core and breaking of the wrist and elbows.

gumballs
NSW, 408 posts
26 Jun 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said...
It's not a very pretty paddling technique when it's pushed to a frantic pace like that.

I'm thinking the 'bopping' thing might be something that is just like we do on a windsurfer when pumping the sail to try and get onto the plane in light winds and by un weighting the board with each pump we try and unstick the board from the water.. Connor does it a lot on downwinders when he's trying to catch a runner.. Be bends his knees.. pushes on the board and springs up just as he puts the power into the stroke so the power from the stroke is pushing an unweighted board forward.. Some may think this bouncing and bending technique is because of an effort to dig the blade deep while using as shorter paddle as possible.. Maybe it's both.

Back in the late 70s early 80s we named it the Bondi bounce as Shane Horan was doing it in sml grovely surf.But just as you say it's to take the weight of the board and then use the squirt from the concave on the way back down.

TrevT
QLD, 136 posts
27 Jun 2014 2:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PeterP said...
Supracer.com said he was on a 24" 404. Ching uses more rotation than most of the others and maintains an incredible cadence. I don't think the bouncing up and down has much to do with the boards, thats more down to paddlers technique. In canoeing they try and keep the vessel steady and Ching seems to do this as well. Having said that the "bopping" technique seems to work well for the likes of Connor, Zane and our local kid Dylan.

Definitely the fastest 200m sprints we've seen but I think we need to make mention of the wind - there seems to be a 5-10knot tailwind which is not huge but had it been a headwind it could have cost as much as 5-10secs (semi-educated guess) - the wind was a big factor in the 200m sprints we've done and a favourable gust even makes a difference so real record's should probably be recorded in less than 2-4knots to be comparable.

We have a 200m back and forth course which I occasionally use for interval training and I have a GPS device which works on start finish intersects and gives me my time immediately after I cross the finish so I've experienced the effect of wind with some degree of accuracy. My best is 1:03 with a solid tailwind........so just a tad off the pace there mate......

The wind wasn't a tail, it was mostly from the left. some swung around to the back but most of it was at an angle from the left. luckily we had some shelter from the trees so the wind didn't really decrease or increase the times too much. We had a rolling start so that would have assisted the times by about 2 seconds I reckon.

TrevT
QLD, 136 posts
27 Jun 2014 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...

Clarky said...

Yea Danny was really smooth compared to pretty much everyone else haha. The new sprints don't bounce as much as the old ones but it is also the paddler. I bounce heaps, which I know but Danny has a flawless technique and I think it takes a lot of concentration to stop the board from bouncing.

For me I really like the bounce to get the board up and going straight away, it is really good for acceleration. Then I try and keep it from not bouncing too much, but it usually starts again when I get tired haha

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
27 Jun 2014 6:45AM
Thumbs Up

Really really good info for a spastic like me thanks guys. The bouncing does clearly work as someone like Connor who does it wins plenty.

Be interested to hear what Pete dorries thinks???

Trev keep doing what our doing will be winning races on the world stage in no time

viatormundi
92 posts
29 Jun 2014 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

I asked Danny why his board was bouncing less and he said it has to do with his technique not the board. He was riding a proto 24 inch wide 404 v3 board. He explained his technique but it is not so easy to describe it. As far as i understood, In the power phase of his stroke he is moving his hips very fast towards the paddle and meanwhile pushes the board forward with his legs. By doing so the board does not slow down much in the recovery phase.

Rory4053
NSW, 94 posts
29 Jun 2014 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

bit of a spread for the times... Danny Ching did it in 47 seconds and the guy in 11th place took 39 hours!

No one ever remembers who came 11th.

boardbumps
NSW, 698 posts
29 Jun 2014 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

paddle blade sizes vary when you look closely

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
30 Jun 2014 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General