Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2014 M2O 3 Man SUP Team

Created by Downwinder > 9 months ago, 1 Nov 2014
Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
1 Nov 2014 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

2014 M2O 3 Man SUP Team

This is a Low Budget I mean No Budget LOW PRESSURE PRODUCTION PRESENTATION filmed on location with a very poor quality JVC Everio Camera.

I don’t know whats harder going SOLO or a 3 MAN TEAM. With SOLO you’ve done the training, you get so focused so you can compete at a fast steady pace so you can do a personal best time. With TEAMS you only have to be half as fit but you’re paddle at 110% because you don’t want to let your TEAM MATES down. So I know TEAMS are more brutal than going SOLO but TEAMS are way more fun than SOLO.

I nearly downed with my first change over as I went as hard as I could 110+% for 20 min (that felt like 40 min) my arse was hanging out from sucking (gasping) in the oxygen because my body was so lactated from paddling hard. During the change over I nearly drowned from the choppy seas while wading in the ocean gasping for air waiting for the support boat to come pick me up. Buy the third change over my body (like a Diesel Motor) was all warmed up and firing on all eight cylinders, ready to go.

I’d like to thank my TEAM MATES Mark Raaphorst (is the man the myth the legend creator of the SIC Bullet ) and Chris Pagdilao (is a big wave charger Chris don’t surf unless it’s 20ft+). I don’t want to sound ignorant or up myself but I knew my TEAM was going to be in the top 3 finishers. I was hoping we were going to smash the 5 hour mark but that didn’t happen.

I’d also like to thank all the other Nineteen 3 MAN SUP TEAMS for giving us great competition it was BULK FUN. There was even a few girls in some of those 3 MAN SUP TEAMS never ever take any pity on or under estimate any of those water women sheilas they are weapons and have smashed many a guys egos.

Until the next Molokai 2 Oahu Race happy training and I’ll see you all again next year.

1st Wyatt Jones, Hunter Eggers, Lock Eggers 4:59:55
2nd Mark Raaphorst, Chris Pagdilao, Phil Gregory 5:04:51
3rd Alfred Van Gieson, Noland Keaulana, Jennifer W. Lee 5:08:54
4th Kalani Vierra, Kawika Carvaiho, Kimo Miranda 5:12:29
5th Brian Szymanski, Matt Friedman, Victor Lopez 5:16:02
6th Jon Lui-Kwan, Aron Lui-Kwan, Don Lui-Kwan 5:17:23
7th Stephen Pugh, Igor Krtolica, John Walsh 5:22:49
8th Heather Jeppesen, Beau Oliveira, Jan Tillmann 5:25:31
9th Ed D’Ascoli, Pomal Ho’opili, Leroy Pao 5:30:34
10th Robert Araujo, Sam Pae, Kanekawaiola 5:35:54
11th Walter Machado, Alex Cachuala, Denis Massey 5:37:28
12th Axel Lux, Sempere Michelpierre, Landry Tranier 5:47:04
13th Curt Smith, Robert Balouskus, Randy Viveiros 5:53:20
14th Sean Poynter, Matty Schweitzer, Steve Sjuggerud 5:59:16
15th Ivan Trent, Jeff Fink, Mike Sammis 6:26:40
16th Kanakol Noau, John Correa, Angela Correa-Pei 6:41:20
17th Kelly Krohne, Bam Kenji, Ken Sullivan 6:42:25
18th Greg Welch, David Darbyshire, jessica Marcotte 6:51:02
19th Paul O’Neile, Drew Brown, John Shimooka 7:00:29

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
1 Nov 2014 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Downwinder said..
2014 M2O 3 Man SUP Team

This is a Low Budget I mean No Budget LOW PRESSURE PRODUCTION PRESENTATION filmed on location with a very poor quality JVC Everio Camera.

I don’t know whats harder going SOLO or a 3 MAN TEAM. With SOLO you’ve done the training, you get so focused so you can compete at a fast steady pace so you can do a personal best time. With TEAMS you only have to be half as fit but you’re paddle at 110% because you don’t want to let your TEAM MATES down. So I know TEAMS are more brutal than going SOLO but TEAMS are way more fun than SOLO.

I nearly downed with my first change over as I went as hard as I could 110+% for 20 min (that felt like 40 min) my arse was hanging out from sucking (gasping) in the oxygen because my body was so lactated from paddling hard. During the change over I nearly drowned from the choppy seas while wading in the ocean gasping for air waiting for the support boat to come pick me up. Buy the third change over my body (like a Diesel Motor) was all warmed up and firing on all eight cylinders, ready to go.

I’d like to thank my TEAM MATES Mark Raaphorst (is the man the myth the legend creator of the SIC Bullet ) and Chris Pagdilao (is a big wave charger Chris don’t surf unless it’s 20ft+). I don’t want to sound ignorant or up myself but I knew my TEAM was going to be in the top 3 finishers. I was hoping we were going to smash the 5 hour mark but that didn’t happen.

I’d also like to thank all the other Nineteen 3 MAN SUP TEAMS for giving us great competition it was BULK FUN. There was even a few girls in some of those 3 MAN SUP TEAMS never ever take any pity on or under estimate any of those water women sheilas they are weapons and have smashed many a guys egos.

Until the next Molokai 2 Oahu Race happy training and I’ll see you all again next year.

Bugger me Phil, that does not look easy. Not only have you got the ocean conditions but all of the disturbance from the flotilla of boats as well.

Better you than me young man well done.

Thanks for posting the vid it was great"

ET.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
1 Nov 2014 8:57AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome phil love it, magic!
How was the decision to use your custom board decided upon? Considering mark is the creator I'm sure he has a few custom weapons to choose from? Makes me think you hit the jackpot with your board.

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
1 Nov 2014 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..
Awesome phil love it, magic!
How was the decision to use your custom board decided upon? Considering mark is the creator I'm sure he has a few custom weapons to choose from? Makes me think you hit the jackpot with your board.

G'day AndyR my SIC Bullet is a magic board and built for the kai'wi channel crossing plus Mark runs out of SIC boards that time of year so my board was the board of choice.

The 2015 V4 Bullet will cost you around 6 grand

Downwind paddling is an expensive sport kind of like the same prestige as playing POLO

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
1 Nov 2014 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

6grand is a worthy investment on something that big. Downwinding isn't cheap but hell we could spend the money on a lot worse things couldn't we.

I'm putting plans in place for Maui 2016 little family holiday bulk downwinding will be done as you would say it haha.. Have been writing down all the info you put on here about it so I experiance it the right way!
Keep the Stoke up Phill the breeze loves it!

Antho
VIC, 510 posts
2 Nov 2014 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
E T said..

Downwinder said..
2014 M2O 3 Man SUP Team

Bugger me Phil, that does not look easy. Not only have you got the ocean conditions but all of the disturbance from the flotilla of boats as well.

Better you than me young man well done.

Thanks for posting the vid it was great"

ET.

That was a fascinating insight into such an iconic event...thanks!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2014 M2O 3 Man SUP Team" started by Downwinder