Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2015 Australian Flatwater Titles

Created by Homeally > 9 months ago, 13 Mar 2015
Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
13 Mar 2015 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

And the heats are underway at the 2015 Australian Flatwater Titles, in conjunction with the Australian Canoe Championships which serve as the selection and qualifier for RIO2016.

The 1000m heats at the 2015 Australian Flatwater Titles (SUPFest) have been completed. Conditions aren't perfect, however the chill in the air keeps the guys and gals from overheating.

In the men's draw, James Casey (NSW), Trevor Tunnington (QLD), Steve Walker (QLD), Sam Parker (NSW) and Brenden Clark (QLD) all won their respective heats and through to the finals tomorrow.

The ladies saw Jean Ringrose (VIC) and Penelope Strickland (SA) blast their competition to earn a rest and paddle tomorrow morning.

Semi Finals are up later this afternoon.

For a full results list, check out: regattas.paddle.org.au/regattas/1109/results

Make sure you 'Like" and check out AuSUP Facebook page for all the latest photos and action

www.facebook.com/pages/AuSUP/156684527825018

Ricey1
QLD, 44 posts
13 Mar 2015 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

In the results there are a lot of scratched racers - anybody know what happened to them?

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
13 Mar 2015 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Ricey1, they pulled out at the last minute.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
13 Mar 2015 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

All the big names pulled out ?

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
13 Mar 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Nothing to do with the event for me and Ang as we did really want to go and do this event but we just had to much on so we sent Steveo who is having a great time for what i hear!!

Unfortunately with so many events and working 7 days a week and finding new sponsors we can only do so much, but we will be at next weekends Harrys paddle. The sprints are a great format and i know it will be a great event with or without some of the top riders.

Jacko and Ang

BeauOBrian
QLD, 34 posts
13 Mar 2015 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't even enter
How did I get scratched?
Hopefully myself and others will attend next year.

PM02
NSW, 24 posts
13 Mar 2015 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

In fairness to Beau, Jake and others…. Australian Canoeing were incorrectly working from an early "anticipated starters" list we had to give them to help with scheduling of the event before entries were closed. Hence they weren't really scratched as they were never entered.

Jacko and Ang have been strong supporters of the format and event and like everyone they have to manage an increasingly full calendar - March madness !!

The Ke Nalu Flatwater SUPFest is a great event and is continuing to build in its second year. Despite a bit of drizzle it was a great day at Penrith and with so much depth in Aussie paddler ranks tomorrow will showcase some of the new breed - Casey, Tunnington and others as well as some of the old guard strutting their stuff - Walker, Parker, Clarke, Ringrose etc. Hopefully we will see some world class times posted in 200m heats and semis tomorrow - expected to be a fine 26c and sunny day - so if you are in Sydney come and check it out and enjoy ring side seats to some great action.

Fantastic to see NZ paddler Penelope Strickland shaking up the Open Women's category. Penelope was so keen to be involved she wanted to race in the semi-finals even though she went straight through to the final !!

Saturday 14 March:
Finals of Hobie 1,000m Race Series commence 8-00am
Heats of 200m races commence 2-05pm

For results, heats, and times go to :

regattas.paddle.org.au/regattas/1109/results

Cheers

Paul

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
13 Mar 2015 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

The first day has been absolutely awesome, the 1000m event has tested the lungs and legs of every competitor and has given everyone some new goals to train for next year. There is a heap of eye candy (boards) to look at and test. This event has given old hacks like myself the chance to race against some truthfully awesome paddlers. Steveo from QLD is having a huge time posting the fastest time of the day and he was paddling in the O40s division.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
13 Mar 2015 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Boards everywhere and some new stuff that is hitting the water

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
14 Mar 2015 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregc said..
Boards everywhere and some new stuff that is hitting the water

Love the look of the carbon pattern on the Hobies. Great to see their race board range over here. Tightlines has a good steed!
Go WA! Go City Beach Drum Liners, but mostly .....go Fremantle (Nicki Jones!)

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
14 Mar 2015 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

1000 meter races done and dusted. Certainly different paddling this type of event compared to an ocean race but a great experience never the less.

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
14 Mar 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Make sure you keep checking out the AuSUP Facebook page for the latest updates on the event.

A full recap of the 1000m event, and an update to the 200m sprints are online now!

www.facebook.com/pages/AuSUP/156684527825018

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
15 Mar 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

The new Fanatic race boards are weapons. I reckon they may have gone out and found everything dangerous and mixed them all together. I am hoping they make a slightly wider version for us ......lets just say ........ more generous racing types :)

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
15 Mar 2015 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

TIME CHANGE!!

Hey guys, for everyone coming out to Penrith for the 5km battle, race starts at 1.30pm

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
15 Mar 2015 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

It's two from two for Trevor Tunnington, taking the 2015 200m Crown at Australian Flatwater Titles.

Trevor, with his standard fast start, put almost a board length on his closest rivals as they came to the 100m mark, holding that gap to take the win. James Casey and Belar Diaz finished second and third respectively.

Belar says he's stoked to come away with his third place.

"The 200m sprint is something I actually like particularly," he said. "[It's] something I've been doing for awhile... we have an event in Germany that has a similar concept. I've been really keen to come here and race with some of Australia's best."

The ladies came close to a photo finish. one-tenth of a second separated Terrene Black and Jean Ringrose for overall placings of first and second respectively. Penelope Strickland came in a further 2.45 seconds behind for an overall third.

Jean says she's been having a ball with all the girls over her race weekend.

"I'm feeling really chuffed I've managed to pull off the over 40s and to be against the top women as well," she said. "I really see this format taking off... it's amazing for spectators to actually watch a race and we watch each other which we don't achieve out on [Port Phillip Bay]."

In the Veterans, Steve Walker continued the Queensland tradition at this years titles, proving he is still the man to beat over the weekend. Walker was half a second faster than his qualifying time, beating second place Brenden Clark and third placed Sam Parker by 3.77 and 4.49 seconds respectively.

Steve says he's usually an ocean paddler, so coming into today's final as the second fastest paddler didn't change his race preparation.

"In this whole event, I've actually paddled 2400 meters, in the whole weekend... but hey like somebody said before it's at 100 per cent so it's racing, it's good."

In just under 30mins, the 5km circuit race starts with some tough conditions in store. The wind has picked up, proving a challenge for all paddlers on the upwind leg.

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
15 Mar 2015 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thx for the blow by blow report matty

Rock on

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
15 Mar 2015 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tha dogman said..
Thx for the blow by blow report matty

Rock on

No probs mate!! get me on for the States! hahahaha

Homeally
VIC, 409 posts
15 Mar 2015 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

So that's a wrap!! What a weekend at the 2015 Australian Flatwater Titles!!

The Queenslanders came, they saw, they conquered.

Trevor Tunnington and Steve Walker made it three wins from three starts in their respective divisions, taking the overall crown.

Penelope Strickland crossed the Tasman and beat us at our own game, taking the overall crown in the Womens.

I would just like to say thank-you to the team at Canoeing Australia for including the SUPs into their world cup and world championship squad selection event. The support and camaraderie was amazing, showing that both disciplines work well together and hopefully we will continue this partnership into the future.

Our SUP liaison Paul Matthews has done a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes to securing sponsors and organising the SUP side of the event with Canoeing Australia. Thank-you Paul!!

To our incredible sponsors of the 2015 Australian Flatwater SUPFest Titles...

KeNalu Paddles - Major Sponsor
Hobie Paddleboards - 1000m
Windsurfnsnow, Jamieson Park Paddle and SUP 5.0 - 5000m
Fanatic, BIC, Starboard and JP - 200m sprints

... this event would not have happened without you.

A full re-cap of the event with action highlights and interviews from our winners will be up in the next day or so. Unfortunately, some of the times from the AC Regatta data is a little wonky, however the placings are accurate.

Well done to all competitors, and congratulations to our overall winners:-

Open Men: Trevor Tunnington
Open Women: Penelope Strickland
O40 Men: Steve Walker
O40 Women: Jean Ringrose
O50 Men: Glenn Cochran
O50 Women: Rebecca Graham

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
15 Mar 2015 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

What times were wrong and have canoeing Aus said they stuffed up? i have seen no mention of this, i hope they fix this as these events are all about times.

PM02
NSW, 24 posts
15 Mar 2015 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Jacko

In the 5,000m race - there were 3 starts 2 minutes apart -> Mens Open then Mens Over 40s & 50s , and then Women.

It appears AC have not adjusted the approx 2 minute stagger between starts - so the individual paddler timing is OK in terms of order etc. and does not affect race results.

Timing for all sprint course events - 200m and 1,000m was excellent.

Given the 5,000m race continues to operate on a race basis (allowing drafting until the final straight) rather than a time trial basis - we probably should cut AC a bit of slack on this one as they run a pretty smooth event and are very accommodating of SUP needs

Cheers

Paul

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
15 Mar 2015 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

I've just been having a look at the times and here is my take on it, I could be wrong but I believe they mixed the men's vets and the women's times.

I know I finished just in front of Penelope (the first woman) and it sounds as if there was an approx 2 minute gap between starts so Pea should have been 2 minutes faster than me but I am showing 2 minutes faster.

So I am thinking if you add 2 minutes to the men's vets and take 2 mins off the women's you will end up with near correct times.

Sorry (old) guys and I stand to be corrected......but anyway I still did cross the line before any females (even if they did start after me)

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
16 Mar 2015 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to the sponsors, organisers and AuSup for a very run event. I learnt a lot, made new paddling friends and had a great time. It's not all always about the big names but taking part and enjoying being able to compete against others. Thanks.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
16 Mar 2015 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

So what is the consensus on which where the the fastest boards.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
16 Mar 2015 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

The ones with the fastest paddlers.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
16 Mar 2015 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said..

As I understand it, there was a mad scramble after the first heats on Friday for all competitors at the pointy end to get their hands on a Starboard Sprint or Race as all other boards were off the pace. Come at me.

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
16 Mar 2015 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

I think your Exaggerating there Mate

I heard it was quiet orderly...

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
16 Mar 2015 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

All but 1 of the guys at the pointy end were on them anyway......

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said...
teatrea said..

As I understand it, there was a mad scramble after the first heats on Friday for all competitors at the pointy end to get their hands on a Starboard Sprint or Race as all other boards were off the pace. Come at me.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
16 Mar 2015 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..
All but 1 of the guys at the pointy end were on them anyway......

PTWoody said...

teatrea said..

How about the girls and the old blokes?

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
16 Mar 2015 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Same same Pretty much from what I could see.
I did like the feel of the new Hobie 14ft in the Raw construction. Feels like it would be a good fun small bumps/chop board.
And I lied earlier; all but two guys in the pointy end.......James Casey on the JP Flatwater and Belar Diaz on the SIC

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
16 Mar 2015 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

What was Penelope on?
Think that was a SIC wasn't it.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
16 Mar 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..