Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

2016 Aust titles, the Doctor and the Cut.

Created by JonesySUP > 9 months ago, 12 May 2016
JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
12 May 2016 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Would it be possible to make this years Ozie titles in WA coincide with the Doctor and the Cut? Just putting it out there..

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
12 May 2016 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah great idea

Al Hunter
NSW, 367 posts
12 May 2016 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

I had the same question before having to decide to go or not to go to the NSW state Title....

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
13 May 2016 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jonsey

It would be great to have the Aussies during the same time period as the KotC and Doctor. Unfortunately the dates have to fit in the international SUP Calendar and it was determined by Surfing Australia that September was the best time (they would like to try and keep the Aussies on the same date each year - so as not to encounter events conflicts - that have happened over the past years).

I should add Surfing Australia sought consultation from a number of SUP groups - AuSUP, international athletes and SUP racer before deciding on the final date, so they did their homework and acted in the best interests of SUP to ensure the dates fitted. Conditions for Surfing in September in Geraldton are optimal - meaning this year would see the best ever SUP surfing at an Australian Titles. Geraldton is a Superb venue for Surfing and Downwind racing and Surfing WA run tight events, very, very professional.

This year's KotC and Wardan Marr Downwind week promises to be huge. Five Downwind events in 1 week, international competitors and a big party on the final night to finish the year!

Hope to see you there!

Cheers

Greg

PS - there is board hire available this year, possibly including new unlimited boards. Details to come.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
13 May 2016 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

So this years 2016 ISA worlds will be in November.
Our 2015 titles from last september are they the atheletes that are going to the worlds or does 2015 get scrapped and the 2016 aussies in september winners go to the worlds in november??

ODSUP
NSW, 282 posts
13 May 2016 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

the worlds are on in Fiji so go and check out the beachouse while your there here's an old flyer from a race

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
17 May 2016 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Great idea Jonesy. For those of us who made the NSW team for the Marathon and who normally do KOTC or The Doctor we've got to decide whether to go all the way to Geraldton for one race or do trip later in the year for a week of racing.

Looks like I'm missing the Nationals this year.

Al Hunter
NSW, 367 posts
17 May 2016 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said..
Great idea Jonesy. For those of us who made the NSW team for the Marathon and who normally do KOTC or The Doctor we've got to decide whether to go all the way to Geraldton for one race or do trip later in the year for a week of racing.

Looks like I'm missing the Nationals this year.

I felt exactly the same way and ended not even going to my state title. Which was a first as I have been to every state title they ever organised...
It is true that Surfing Australia sought consultation before and I got an email as well, but when some people started to suggest Ozie titles in WA to coincide with the Doctor and the Cut it has been very quickly clear that they would not consider that.
When you add the fact that QLD title will be (if I understood...) the weekend between M2M and M2O, I started to think "who exactly will end up going to the national title anyway?"since most of the competitive Qld paddlers will be in hawaii.
Lucky Tobby and james really, because at least they were able to be at their own state title. Had they been queenslanders they would have both missed it as well....
Lincoln, Matt, kelly, maybe michael (I am not sure) will be in hawaii
So honestly good luck surfing Australia
I have always acknowledge and praised the way the races were run on the day of the aussie title.
But I must admit the lead up to Aussie title has been pretty frustrating lately.
So since I decided to miss the national from the start I could not really justify driving 2000km return on my own for 1 race of my own state title.
And it was a hard call because surfing NSW have always been so good at organizing their event.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
17 May 2016 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

do QLD and then aussies always end up right in the middle of the international racers seasons?

Our countrys race season is our summer when the northern hemisphere is in winter.

All aussie international competitors are in Australia around our summer why not hold the state titles very late in the year then hold the aussie titles first thing in the new year.
95% of the pros will make it and 95% percent of the punters will do too being australian race season.

I watched on sidelines for a few years and competed last year QLD and Aussies awesomely run events on the day almost can't fault them. But the lead up stuff and timing lacks so much from two businesses that core business is events in my opinion.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
18 May 2016 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

Edit: I have just re-read this before posting and want to say sorry for the long post but.....

Just a few thoughts.

Yep I have to admit it is a shame the Nats couldn't be held around the same time as the KoTC and the Doctor and I realise a lot of you will have to make a choice.

I am just an old bloke who loves spending time on the water, however I have travelled to Qld from WA for the last 3 National Titles to compete in the O50's division in the Marathon and the Tech races, so I know the difficulties and expenses involved in getting a 14' (and a 12'6 if doing both events) boards across the country.
I actually did an 11000k road trip to Currumbin (and beyond to DI) in 2014, it cost a ship load of money and time but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

First of all I'd like to say that I am not involved much at all with any planning of events and I take my hat off to those individuals and associations that get these events off the ground.

I suppose I am primarily a surfer but have grown to love the down winding aspect of SUP over the recent years mainly due to the absolute lack of swell and abundance of wind in Perth throughout summer.
The way I see it the Nationals tries to cater for surfing, Marathon (but we all prefer/expect downwind) and BOP so it is always going to be difficult to set a time when all 3 events have the best chance of getting the right conditions and anyone who has lived in Perth long enough knows by November/December the odds of any chance of decent swell for a surf comp start to become very slim.
Also any earlier than September and there is virtually no chance of good downwind conditions.
So realistically September in Geraldton is probably about the best chance of getting close to the best conditions for all aspects of a National SUP Comp.

In my mind though and pretty much the whole point of my post is, unless people are happy to compete in a marathon without the expectation of it being a downwind race or surf in what is probably going to be less than optimal conditions then eventually the surfing and marathon disciplines have to be run at different dates.

I have probably said to much already, however I'm fuelled by red wine ATM so I will continue and also say that WA has a hell of a lot to offer in waves and wind and a lot of super freindly crew that will try to help anyone travelling from the East Coast out in any way possible.

So.
If you think you can make it for the Nationals please try to do so, it is not a National event unless all States are represented with as many of the best paddlers as possible.

If you are considering coming over for the KoTC (and /or Doctor), DO IT, it has never really let us down and one of these years it will fully turn it on like we know it can do and you will want to be here for it.

If you are considering both, I and I am sure others will try to help out however possible, maybe storing boards, accomodation or whatever.

JDJ
QLD, 13 posts
18 May 2016 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Surfing australia doesn't care if the aussies conflicts with international events, as long as the dates suit them and they can get as many sponsorship dollars as possible they will put it whenever they like. good luck ever trying to get the event put on, on a reasonable date.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
18 May 2016 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Organising an event that does not clash with others within Australia let alone the World is always going to be difficult and as an event organiser myself I can understand many of the issues.

Unfortunately I think there needs to be more consultation. Surfing NSW have done a magnificent job for many years and while they regularly request infomation from a number of us re their events they still do not have a specific SUP delegate as part of their organisation.

State delegates need to be set up within Surfing Australia or be more active within AuSUP. AuSUP is strongly connected with Surfing Australia, and the communication with AuSUP needs to be distributed further across the country to obtain the views from more individuals. In order to get a better consensus across all states there needs to be a much higher degree of transparent communication and more communication to the state delegates.

I'm not in anyway complaining or pointing a finger as I know that volunteering is always more work than most understand. I'm just suggesting that either AuSUP and/or Surfing Australia need to communicate more with the various State bodies AND paddlers to determine the best outcome for all.

AuSUP have a Face Book page if you're interested where event info is posted occasionally.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
18 May 2016 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

AuSUP is a representative National Body, made up of State reps from NSW, WA, Victoria, SA, Tasmania and QLD. Victoria, WA and SA have technically a state association so they are represented by the president or a nominated committee member. NSW is the president of Sydney Paddle Surf and QLD is represented by Troy Pease the chairman of AuSUP. Each of these representatives spoke to their respective committees for feedback on dates - then passed this onto Surfing Australia.

You are right there is a fair bit that falls to volunteers - I'm surprised you aren't aware of this as I'm sure you are involved with Sydney and the SUPfest last year? It's the closest thing we have to a representative body and AuSUP is an extension of the clubs/associations around Australia - certainly not closer to surfing Australia.

Well said tightlines. Western Australia is looking forward to holding the Nationals for the first time. In a perfect world it would have been great to have it during the KotC, but the conditions for surfing just would not suit - for one point. The main issue is that Surfing Australia - would like to keep the Aussies on one date so other events won't conflict with it. Which is fair enough, they want the Australian titles to be seen as regular premier event on the racing/surfing calendar, held consistently at the same time. case in point - they recently had to move the event dates because they conflicted with the Japan Cup, which now have recently changed their event dates! So you can appreciate the stuffing around involved, athletes wanting a certain date, best conditions. I can assure you each represntative (asked your local one) was consulted on these dates before they were confirmed.

We travel every year to the Nationals on the east coast, So we can appreciate it is a big trip coming over to WA, especially twice. It will be worth it, the conditions will be great on both occasions.

It is tricky to find a time of year that suits such mutually exclusive events such as surfing and DownWinding. Maybe at some point the national surfing/tech race needs to be separated from the national marathon/DW? ....maybe?

ockanui
VIC, 1301 posts
19 May 2016 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

It is tricky to find a time of year that suits such mutually exclusive events such as surfing and DownWinding. Maybe at some point the national surfing/tech race needs to be separated from the national marathon/DW? ....maybe?

Excellent idea Goochi.... the racing can be held separately both marathon and technical at an appropriate venue, then the sup surfing, both the shortboard and the newly created Longboard category ( ) should be held at the best possible venue at the best possible time of the year that will highlight this exciting aspect of Sup.

The needs of both racing and surfing are so different that one is often compromised for the other, the sport is growing fast enough now to have separate events....

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
19 May 2016 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Now if only I could get to the qualifying surf comps.

I have been off work all week and surfing every day but round 2 of the state titles is on this weekend and once again I am working all weekend.

Ahh well thats the price ya pay to get days off during the week with less crowds and I'm more of a free surf kinda guy anyway.

However talking about picking dates for comps though, last year all 3 State rounds for surf were blessed with almost perfect conditions.
May is traditionally one of the best months for surfing with swell and glassy conditions the norm in WA.

Well the round 1 Rottnest comp copped strong winds and this is what the guys have got to look forward to this weekend for round 2.
Mother nature will do whatever she wants.

Good luck guys and gals.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"2016 Aust titles, the Doctor and the Cut." started by JonesySUP