Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Entries now open 2015 Australia Flatwater SUPFest

Created by PM02 > 9 months ago, 22 Feb 2015
PM02
NSW, 24 posts
22 Feb 2015 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

We are pleased to announce the entry portal is now open for the Ke Nalu 2015 Australia Flatwater SUPFest.

Follow to link below to enter:

ausup.tidyclub.com/public/events/1622-ke-nalu-2015-australian-flatwater-supfest

-------------------

2015 Ke Nalu Australian Flatwater SUPFest

13 - 15 March - Penrith International Regatta Centre

We are pleased to confirm the endorsement of SUPAA and announce the race sponsors and timetable for this exciting event.
In line with last years event and the recent success of the Forster Island Paddle Festival - the 2015 Ke Nalu Flatwater SUPFest is focused on paddler participation with accessible and fun flatwater racing formats within the unique environment of the Sydney Olympic Regatta Centre.

The heat formats guarantee all paddlers at least 2 races in each distance and its a fun way to do your best against your mates and some of the greats.

The event will consist of 3 races:

1. The Hobie 1,000m Race
This is a race in lanes with 8-9 paddlers per heat with a line of sight or boat held start. This distance gives you a chance to really stretch out and lots of things can happen in 5-7 minutes of racing.

2. The WindSurfnSnow, Jamieson Parke Paddle, SUP 5.0 - 5,000m Race
This is a circuit race around a marked course within the 1,000m racing area and a chance to practice your racing tactics and buoy turns.

3. The 200m sprints - sponsored by Bic SUP, Starboard, Fanatic and JP
This is a true test of fast twitch paddle speed and reaction times. Starting in lanes with 8-9 paddlers in each heat from a gated controlled start - this format really gets your heart racing and is 60 seconds of intense drag racing ! Getting off the line smoothly and quickly is the key - the field is wide open across all categories. Which paddlers will be Australia's fastest sprinters and possibly get into the record books ?

Categories
There will be trophies across the following categories for each race format :
Mens - Open, Over 40 and Over 50
Women's - Open, Over 40 and Over 50
and there will also be an Overall Champion for each Category based on performance across the 3 races.

Event timetable

The timings for individual heats will be determined once entries are received and sorted.

The broad timetable for the event is:

Friday 13 March - 1,000m heats from 12-00pm
Sat 14 March (AM) - 1,000 m Finals
Sat 14 March (PM) - 200m Heats
Sun 15 March (AM) - 200m Finals
Sun 15 March (PM) - 5,000m races.

This means competitors should aim to be at Penrith on Friday morning to allow time to prepare for 1,000m races.

Once again, thank you to our generous Race Sponsors for their support.

It will be a busy few weeks of racing as noted on SUPRacer.com www.supracer.com/stand-up-paddle-races-2015-australia/

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
22 Feb 2015 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic :)

See everyone there

X

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
23 Feb 2015 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Let's get those entries in as quick as possible guys n' Gals!!!
The earlier everyone enters the better it is for the organisers and it's easier for the lane draws for the heats.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
23 Feb 2015 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Are members of SUP clubs here in QLD considered AuSup members for the entry fee?

if not an AuSup member, are tickets $115 per race, i.e. $345 for the event?

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
23 Feb 2015 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if specific Queensland clubs are AuSup members or not but if your club is Surfing Australia affiliated then you are all good.
its $100 for AuSup members for the ENTIRE event NOT each race.
Its $115 for non-AuSup members for the ENTIRE event NOT each race.
By entire event I mean the 200mtr, the 1000mtr & 5000mtr.
It was not possible to get split entries.
Hope that helps!!

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
23 Feb 2015 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Kieran. Look forward to seeing you there.

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
23 Feb 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Should be a fun one!!!
just gotta scam a Friday/Monday long weekend!! :)

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
24 Feb 2015 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jt737 said..
Are members of SUP clubs here in QLD considered AuSup members for the entry fee?

if not an AuSup member, are tickets $115 per race, i.e. $345 for the event?

My understanding is that SUPSA, Brisbane Sup Club and the Sunshine Coast SUP Club are AuSUP members and therefore your entry will be $100. I don't think The Gold Coast SUP club is an AuSUP member but happy to be corrected.

Canoeing Australia have closed or about to close the canoeing entries for this event and we will be closing SUP entries in the next few days. Unfortunately there will be no late or event entries as the committee needs to formalise the draw for each race length.

If you are wanting to enter do so asap.

All future notifications on the event will be either by Sea Breeze or the AuSUP Face Book page. Over the last few weeks I have been sending messages out to individual clubs, however, in order not to over communicate to people not interested in the event I will no longer be posting directly to club Face Book pages.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
24 Feb 2015 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

2015 Australian Flatwater SUPFest

Fri March 13 to Sun March 15

Penrith Regatta Centre Penrith NSW

Events for 2015 will comprise
200m, 1000m and 5000m races.

Entries are now open via the AuSUP TidyClub portal
The entry window is short and will be closed in a few days. YOU NEED TO ENTER NOW!!!

https://ausup.tidyclub.com/public/events/1622-ke-nalu-2015-australian-flatwater-supfest

IN ORDER NOT TO OVER COMMUNICATE PLEASE "LIKE" AuSUP on FACE BOOK TO RECEIVE REGULAR UPDATES.

All events are open to all paddlers with no pre-qualifying requirements and all paddlers will have at least 2 races in each sprint (200m and 1000m) with the 5000m being a staged race start.

Board Class is 14"

The response to this years event in Adelaide was excellent, building on the formats of the successful Black Blade Regatta in WA and similar international flat water and sprint events. The Penrith Olympic Regatta Centre is an outstanding venue and many NSW SUP paddlers have participated in the PaddleNSW 2014 Sprint Series at this venue.

The race formats are simple and encourage participation at all levels and the facility set up allows great spectator access and a team environment.

Format - trophies for top three in each divsion and race. An overall trophy will be awarded to the best paddler across the three races for each division - The Australian Flatwater Champion.

Prizes and categories - will be confirmed closer to the date but are expected to be similar to this year –
Open,
O40,
O50
O60

Coordinating Club - Sydney Paddle Surfing Club (SPSC) will act as the event coordinator and liaise with State based SUP clubs & groups and NSW SUP clubs to support participation and event planning, promotion and logistics.

Boards and transport - We are expecting to have most major SUP brands represented on site in a mini SUP Expo during the event with opportunities to demo a variety of race boards. Most state groups will organise some form of board transport for participants and we will work with NSW retailers and clubs to provide demo or spare boards as required.

Accommodation - Penrith is located at the foot of the Blue Mountains and there are a variety of local accommodation options including holidays parks, rental houses and hotels. The Regatta Centre is easily accessible from major arterial motorways which opens up a huge variety of accommodation choices within a 20- 30 minute radius. Sydney CBD is around 75 minutes and 90 minutes to Northern and Southern Beaches.

SUPAA Rules - this is a SUPAA endorsed event, which means the SUPAA guidelines will apply for board dimensions. Medallists from each divsion will submit to board measurement at the conclusion of their race. 14' length and no less than 23" at widest part of the board. Competitors will use the one board only for the 3 race series.

This really is a great fun and participation format with the opportunity to race alongside your mates and some of the best paddlers in the world. We will see who are the fastest male and female paddlers in Australia and perhaps we will see some flat water records fall

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
24 Feb 2015 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Is anyone else from WA considering this?

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
24 Feb 2015 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Ok next question, does anybody in the Sydney area have a competitive board I could beg, borrow, steal or hire for this?

I paddled a 2014 24" Starboard Sprint in our WA 'Starboard Black Blade' flat water event but of course would consider any options.

It cost enough to get there from WA but the logistics of also getting a 14' board over unscathed make it harder again.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
25 Feb 2015 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..
Ok next question, does anybody in the Sydney area have a competitive board I could beg, borrow, steal or hire for this?

I paddled a 2014 24" Starboard Sprint in our WA 'Starboard Black Blade' flat water event but of course would consider any options.

It cost enough to get there from WA but the logistics of also getting a 14' board over unscathed make it harder again.

Contact Sam Parker at Wind surf N Snow.I believe he may have boards available.

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
25 Feb 2015 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers, I have done.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Feb 2015 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Lots of boards being requested but can get you a Starboard Race 14' x 27" if you like.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
25 Feb 2015 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

My entry is in and Im frothing to compete

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
25 Feb 2015 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

When do entries close

PM02
NSW, 24 posts
26 Feb 2015 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

The entry window is fairly tight as we need to get entry data to Australian Canoeing [event organiser] so they can program heats, semis and finals for each event into a broader regatta program. We are aiming for Monday 2 March - so please get your entries in so that we can confirm numbers ASAP.
Thanks
Paul

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
26 Feb 2015 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WINDSURFnSNOW said..
Lots of boards being requested but can get you a Starboard Race 14' x 27" if you like.

Thanks heaps for the generous offer, however I think I may have something sorted, will let you know for sure very soon.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
26 Feb 2015 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said...
WINDSURFnSNOW said..

Thanks heaps for the generous offer, however I think I may have something sorted, will let you know for sure very soon.

All good

PM02
NSW, 24 posts
2 Mar 2015 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

HURRY !! ... entries closing soon so that we can get competitor information to the event organisers.

Get along to this super fun event and grab a cool t-shirt when you are there.

Some great competitors are coming along including defending Overall Open Champions Beau O'Brian and Ang Jackson, Paul Jackson, Livio Menelau, Belar Diaz, Brad Kingsley, Defending Over 40's champs - Chris Clarke and Jean Ringrose… not to mention Greg, Chris, Melissa, Kent, Penelope, Steve, Lana, Evan, Angela….. and many others !

If you haven't got a board sorted yet … we will help you out. If you haven't got a place to stay…. we can help you too :)

Cheers

Paul

PM02
NSW, 24 posts
4 Mar 2015 10:29PM
Thumbs Up

NOTE: Race entries now separated to provide more flexible entry options

Organisers have updated race entry formats to allow entry to single races for a lower fee to accommodate paddlers who cannot make the 3 days but would like to participate in this National event.

Paddlers who enter one or two events will not be eligible for Overall Category Champions awards but will be in the running to take out individual race trophies and titles.

Some great options, especially for NSW based paddlers to get involved - maybe Saturday afternoon and Sunday and you can enter both 200m and 5,000m races OR simply enter the 5,000m on Sunday afternoon and come along early Sunday to see the finals and action of the 200m sprints.

Spectators are very welcome and entry and parking at the Penrith facility is free with excellent amenities for families to enjoy a day out.

The entry portal is open at :

https://ausup.tidyclub.com/public/events/1622-ke-nalu-2015-australian-flatwater-supfest

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
5 Mar 2015 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Cool t-shirts. Can't wait.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
5 Mar 2015 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Good WA team going over - especially in the ladies! Really hope the o/40 and o/50 ladies division gets up - plenty of women on SUPs - this is the perfect race for you. We had good numbers for the black blade (same format) and the women excelled!!
Watch out for the o/50 men's division, there are a few fast guys there!
Will Paul Jackson break the world record on a Starboard Sprint? SUPfest is the only SUPAA endorsed sprint race in Australia, so the accurate times will officially count. Pretty cool if it happens

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
5 Mar 2015 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Goochi said..
Good WA team going over - especially in the ladies! Really hope the o/40 and o/50 ladies division gets up - plenty of women on SUPs - this is the perfect race for you. We had good numbers for the black blade (same format) and the women excelled!!
Watch out for the o/50 men's division, there are a few fast guys there!
Will Paul Jackson break the world record on a Starboard Sprint? SUPfest is the only SUPAA endorsed sprint race in Australia, so the accurate times will officially count. Pretty cool if it happens

Sorry I should have put this in context with the SUPracer article about Jacko:

"The 200m Dash For Cash would prove to be a family affair just five minutes later, with Angie’s husband, Paul Jackson, taking out the men’s sprint in impressive fashion. Despite being up against Jake – the current world #4 and the 2014 BOP Elite Race runner-up – Jacko got the quickest start and powered home to remain undefeated over the distance in Australia (Jacko also won the 200m sprint at the inaugural Australian Flatwater SUPFest last year).

Both Paul and Angie are insanely hard working, hard training competitors, so it’s great to see them getting rewarded for their hours on the water and in the gym. Also interesting to see their board of choice since leaving Team Fanatic last month."

Read full article here: www.supracer.com/2015-forster-island-paddle-festival/

Also nice write up from SUPracer about Ke Nalu SUPfest 2015 here: www.supracer.com/stand-up-paddle-races-2015-australia/

*Heard a rumour that Jacko may not make SUPfest - hope he does compete ....on whatever board!....it would be great to see the 200m record fall in Australia.

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
9 Mar 2015 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Entries close tomorrow!! Still time for last minute entries!!
Should be a good fun weekend, with a few overseas visitors to mix things up!!
I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can better my times from last year. :)

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
11 Mar 2015 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

About to board a plane to Sydney for this, I have my surf SUP with me and a week or so off so hopefully I can get a wave or 2 in somewhere over there too, frothing!!!

Thanks heaps to those that have offered me a race boards to paddle, to make it interesting I've decided to go with a board I have never even seen let alone paddle.
Bound to have fun no matter what.

Thanks heaps Hobie Australia for the use of a Hobie Apex 4r 25.75.

itbjam
VIC, 100 posts
11 Mar 2015 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Ive paddled the Hobie race boards Im sure you be happy with your choice.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
11 Mar 2015 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said...
About to board a plane to Sydney for this, I have my surf SUP with me and a week or so off so hopefully I can get a wave or 2 in somewhere over there too, frothing!!!

Penriff Point should be good if this swell holds for a few more days.

AUS4
NSW, 1251 posts
11 Mar 2015 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..

Thanks heaps to those that have offered me a race boards to paddle, to make it interesting I've decided to go with a board I have never even seen let alone paddle.
Bound to have fun no matter what.

Thanks heaps Hobie Australia for the use of a Hobie Apex 4r 25.75.

Select to expand quote
itbjam said..

How is the 14' 25.75" and the 14' 27.5" the same weight?

Select to expand quote
itbjam said..

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
11 Mar 2015 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

tightlines said...

Dont listen to Casso I doubt he has been the western side of Pittwater Road

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
11 Mar 2015 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

tightlines said...

Ha ha I heard a rumour Penriff Point might be flat and crowded this weekend.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Entries now open 2015 Australia Flatwater SUPFest" started by PM02