Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Fins Question : 2 + 1 or Single on 10'0 Naish Mana

Created by 808-Obsession > 9 months ago, 5 Apr 2016
808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
5 Apr 2016 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Morning all,

Query for you - currently riding my Naish Mana 10'0" with standard (Naish) fins (in a 2 + 1 setup).

Besides 'bite' when bottom-turning quite hard (which, to be honest, is not really my thing - I'm more of a cruisy, down the line kind of SUP surfer/glider/hack), do the side fins provide much of a function?

Asking as I'm considering shifting just to a single 9" centre longboard-style fin and leaving the side bites out altogether.

Input would be appreciated on pros & cons of this!

Cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
5 Apr 2016 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

I've had a few 10' Mana's and I tried both.. I found the stock tri fin setup best.. and if choosing the single fin option I found that I needed a slightly bigger 10" center fin to make it work..

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
5 Apr 2016 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
I've had a few 10' Mana's and I tried both.. I found the stock tri fin setup best.. and if choosing the single fin option I found that I needed a slightly bigger 10" center fin to make it work..

DJ, can I ask - in what way are the tri-fins better? Is it stability? Or 'drive' from a turn? Or something else altogether?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
5 Apr 2016 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

I guess it was a lack of 'drive' and 'tracking'.. and not as good turning..

The single fin felt a bit 'vague' unless it was a bigger fin..

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
5 Apr 2016 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
I guess it was a lack of 'drive' and 'tracking'.. and not as good turning..

The single fin felt a bit 'vague' unless it was a bigger fin..

Okay thanks for the clarification. Might give it a burl and see what happens. Can always put the sides back in. Cheers DJ

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
5 Apr 2016 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Exactly what DJ said. 10" fatboy fin would be perfect! Thats all I ride, don't have a thruster in my complete quiver.
6'4" twin fin, 7'2" single fin, 9'4" single fin mal, 10'2" single fin log and a 10'6" single fin sup. Too many fins, too much drag for longboards.

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
5 Apr 2016 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..
Exactly what DJ said. 10" fatboy fin would be perfect! Thats all I ride, don't have a thruster in my complete quiver.
6'4" twin fin, 7'2" single fin, 9'4" single fin mal, 10'2" single fin log and a 10'6" single fin sup. Too many fins, too much drag for longboards.

Thanks Sandsy1 - when you say 'fatboy fin', do you think something like this (below) in a 10" might be suitable to try as a single?

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
5 Apr 2016 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

slowly converting all my boards to single fins, for me perfect for the waves we ride around here on westernport Bay, just down the line rides on point breaks, occasional turns, never really any bigger than 3-4 ft so i far there is no need to use thrusters.

I was always told rule of thumb is 1in of fin for each foot of board.

Currently using a 10" fin on my Starboard Nose rider and have a 8'10" sunova speed being made with the single fin box, that comes with a 8" fin but i might put a 9" in it

Tardy
5027 posts
5 Apr 2016 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

I use to have a 10' mana ..I put smaller fins on the side and pushed the rear right to the back ..mainly surfed it .but paddling flat a bigger rear fin could help .
some of the Nalu s are nicer ridden as a single .less drag.
give it a go .The mana 10' soft top comes out as a single fin .it has a 9' fin .
so the shape can be ridden as a single ...

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
6 Apr 2016 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
808-Obsession said..

Sandsy1 said..

Thanks Sandsy1 - when you say 'fatboy fin', do you think something like this (below) in a 10" might be suitable to try as a single?

Hi 808
That is more of a 'Hatchet' fin. They are great in log style boards as the wide base gives drive out of turns and the surface area stops side slipping when you are forward on the nose of the board.
A 9" or 10" fatboy allows a much easier turn but still holds the side slip. I have both on mals and a 9" fatboy on my Laird sup.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
6 Apr 2016 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Look at a McTavish 10" "redline" fin. I use these in 10.6 and 10 foot mal style sup. Beautiful fin

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
6 Apr 2016 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

I suggest a 10'' FCS Tool-less long board fin..

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
6 Apr 2016 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said...
I suggest a 10'' FCS Tool-less long board fin..

Yep DJ, that's exactly what I was thinking. Cheers

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
6 Apr 2016 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said...
808-Obsession said..

Sandsy1 said..

Hi 808
That is more of a 'Hatchet' fin. They are great in log style boards as the wide base gives drive out of turns and the surface area stops side slipping when you are forward on the nose of the board.
A 9" or 10" fatboy allows a much easier turn but still holds the side slip. I have both on mals and a 9" fatboy on my Laird sup.

Cheers Sandsy

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
6 Apr 2016 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said...
Look at a McTavish 10" "redline" fin. I use these in 10.6 and 10 foot mal style sup. Beautiful fin

Thanks husq2100 - will check those out also

damo666
ACT, 160 posts
6 Apr 2016 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

I much prefer my 10' 6" Nalu as a thruster. Not a 2+1 with a big centre fin , but a proper thruster with 6 inch rear & same sides.

Its sooooo much faster, easier to turn on a wave and drives out of turns better than a single, and is MUCH easier to turn when paddling for a wave.
Well worth a go.

Tardy
5027 posts
6 Apr 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

same Damo...I run a 6.5 rear with the sides on my 11' nalu..for waves ..the 11.4 is used for flat ..I find it better with one .

theres not many 12.5 or 14' out there as a thruster..it kinda tells us something.

baddog
256 posts
7 Apr 2016 2:24AM
Thumbs Up

Try the new FCS II Flow fin. Paddles and tracks great on flatwater with just a touch of ramp to help shed seaweed. Haven't had it in the surf yet, but it should surf well (at least according to the FCS hype) and the longer base will have more drive then the more pivot style DJ likes.

I prefer lower SI fins and have the 9" on my 9'5" Surf. Can't stress enough how awesome FCS II is for center box fins; get some!

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
12 Apr 2016 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Gave it a crack today with a single 9" Shapers log fin I had - have to say I loved it. I'm not a great surfer in any arena, so performance-wise it'll be a while before I actually know how much I like it, but I found it much easier turning for waves and it cruised along very nicely and tracked well. Got an FCSII 'pop-in' fin on order...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Fins Question : 2 + 1 or Single on 10'0 Naish Mana" started by 808-Obsession