Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Mentawai SUP surfing boat trip 2017 videos

Created by blueplanetsurf > 9 months ago, 25 Apr 2017
blueplanetsurf
311 posts
25 Apr 2017 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

We recently came back from an awesome Mentawai Islands SUP surfing Boat trip in early April 2017. We got a ton of footage of our international team riders and going through and editing it takes a lot of time. My plan is to put together daily trip video log (some of which are quite long) and will try to post a video for each of the 10 days on a weekly basis. We will also post one short video of the trip as well as team rider profiles and some "how to SUP" surf videos and I will post them here as they are finished.
Here is the first day video where we surf at Lance's left on the first morning after motoring overnight and talk about traveling to Padang Indonesia with over 20 boards.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
25 Apr 2017 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Great stuff. Can't wait for the other vids.

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
26 Apr 2017 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

7'3 x 23" 63 litres

MickChard
VIC, 183 posts
27 Apr 2017 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome !!!

darrenm
24 posts
27 Apr 2017 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Having been to the Mentawai Islands surfing i wouldn't envy anyone logging 20 sup boards around. That must of been tough!!!

I loved Lances Lefts. Did you get to Thunders by any chance?

goodnightirene
VIC, 19 posts
27 Apr 2017 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nice video. Given the volume of the board and the way he barely uses his paddle on the wave I'd have to question why he doesn't just use a surfboard prone to be honest. Great surfing nonetheless.

blueplanetsurf
311 posts
12 May 2017 6:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you for the comments, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. I have been busy and have not had time to finish the Day 2 edit yet, but it's coming. For now, here is another short video from the trip, where I'm foiling on the wake of the surf charter boat:

On our recent Blue Planet SUP surfing team boat trip in the Mentawais, I asked Andrew, the boat captain if he would tow me into the wake of the charter boat on my foil board.
Whenever I'm on a boat I always look at the wakes and daydream about surfing on them. Andrew was game and after a few attempts and crashes, I finally got a good backside ride on the wake. I think with a little practice, it's possible to foil on a boat wake until your legs give out. This was truly a dream come true for me, how fitting that the Pelagic Surf Charter boats motto is "Live the dream". I used a Blue Planet 5'6 Ulua fish board with a Go Foil Maliko foil. Thank you captain Andrew!

blueplanetsurf
311 posts
23 May 2017 1:58AM
Thumbs Up

I finally got around to editing the second day video log of our boat trip. We were moored at Macaroni's resort and SUP surfed and foil boarded at KFC's. The Bintangs flowed on the second night and things got a bit crazy...

blueplanetsurf
311 posts
19 Jun 2017 4:52AM
Thumbs Up

Here are a couple more videos from the trip:
Skyla Rayner:

and Fabrice Beaux:

blueplanetsurf
311 posts
20 Aug 2017 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Here is another video with beautiful footage of Nathan Cross from Jervis Bay NSW

Garethg
NSW, 406 posts
20 Aug 2017 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

And this one from this year

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Mentawai SUP surfing boat trip 2017 videos" started by blueplanetsurf