DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
26 Aug 2013 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

So who's going..

DJ

THE 33rd MERIMBULA CLASSIC

presented by the Merimbula Sailboard Club

A FOUR DAY FESTIVAL OF WIND AND WAVES.. WAVE SAILING KITE SURFING STAND UP PADDLE SURFING

The 33rd annual Merimbula Classic will be held at Merimbula?s Main Beach from 21st to 24th November 2013.

This event is a celebration of wind and waves which attracts wave sailors, kite surfers and Stand Up Paddle surfers from around the globe as well as Australia and is keenly contested by an up and coming band of locals.

There will also be two SUP racing events..The Beach to Bar relay on Saturday morning and The Battle of the Paddles on Main Beach on Sunday morning.

For four action packed days the waters of Merimbula Bay become a spectacle of action and colour.

Depending on conditions the water action begins early off Main Beach with the Stand Up Paddle surfers getting as many waves as possible before the morning on shore breeze gets up and drives the SUP surfers out of the water to be replaced by kite surfers and wave sailors.

The event boasts current and past world and Australian champions along with a contingent of enthusiasts keen to get out in water and wind.

For the spectator there is plenty of action to see from the vantage spots such as Bar Beach and the wharf, however the best spot is at Main Beach where you can safely view all the action as well as enjoying the Merimbula Sailboard Clubs famous barbecue.

The Balmoral Paddle Surf, Beach to Bar tag team SUP Off will be held on Saturday morning at 9am.

This is a tag-team race for stand up paddle boards where each team member has to paddle a course from Main Beach to the Bar and back again with the winning team receiving great accolades but probably not much else.

The Battle of the Paddles will be held on the Sunday morning at 9:30am and this is a relay through and ? M-shaped? course through the surf at Main beach.

Over $50,00 in prizes are up for grabs.These include new kites SUP boards and kite boards as well as holidays to Namotu Island Resort in Fiji, a Bali holiday, and Fiji kite tours.

Over the four days spectators will be treated to the spectacular performances of the world?s best in the respective disciplines of kite surfing, wave sailing and Stand Up Paddle surfing.

There is also a busy social calendar nightly at Club Sapphire.

Thursday night is DVD night where the latest DVD movies will be shown on the big screen.

Friday will host a fashion parade of the latest beach gear along with a disco.

Saturday night will be themed gangsters and molls night with music by the Lounge Lizards band.

On Sunday evening the Presentation will be held from 6:00pm.

Competitors meet daily at Main Beach (Ford Park) and as soon as the wind gets up there will be action aplenty from kites and wave sailors.

During the four days some kite surfers and SUP surfers will go to other nearby locations to practice and test the conditions such as Pambula River Mouth and Short Point, all with good viewing access.

Mogareeka Inlet, at the mouth of the Bega River at Tathra is another popular spot to view kites and wave sailors.

Local ABC radio 810AM / 106.3 FM and 2EC radio 102.5fm/765am report regularly on the action and progress so keep tuned-in, or check at the Tourist Information Centre.

From almost anywhere in Merimbula, when the sea- breeze picks up late morning, look skyward to the east and the thumb-nail silhouettes of the kite surfers will be visible. Or venture down before the wind comes in and see the Stand up Paddle surfers going for it.

Entries are taken from Thursday 21st following the opening briefing at 10am.

Merimbula Sailboard Club has run the event for 33 years and there is a host of interesting information about the event on their web site so check out: www.merimbulasailboardclub.com.au

John Smythe contest co-ordinator 0407 260015

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
26 Aug 2013 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Dj all booked , big crew this year again from the Gold Coast...

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
26 Aug 2013 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

tempted I missed last year and have regretted it all year

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
26 Aug 2013 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Any accommodation recommendations?

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
26 Aug 2013 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..

Something at Fishpen is the go....close to all the daytime action and still within staggering distance from the Bowlo

windup
NSW, 204 posts
27 Aug 2013 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..

I know you don't like to, but speak to OME......

Mal

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
27 Aug 2013 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Yep all booked, anyone bringing teenage kids along that might want to do a spot of child minding on Saturday night?

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
27 Aug 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Annual leave booked, leave pass secured, accommodation locked in .

sharpie
NSW, 347 posts
27 Aug 2013 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

mudjimba, currumbin, merimbula, think i will take the whole month off and live in the van. bring it.

momasfolly
VIC, 237 posts
31 Aug 2013 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

Locked and loaded, getting a crew together. Looking forward to testing new gear and getting advice from the pro's!

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
31 Aug 2013 7:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..

I've got detrails for you Kitty. Won't post them here as I'll have to make sure AA has booked already.
Select to expand quote
windup said..

Kieranr said..

I know you don't like to, but speak to OME......

Mal

I have details Kitty. Will speak to you tomorrow. Won't post them here as I have to check that AA has booked first. Accommodation is dangerous as Piros stays there as well.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
31 Aug 2013 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Glad to see there is a Bali holiday to be won again. Going for the double!

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
31 Aug 2013 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Good stuff NN. :) chat to you tomorrow for sure!! :)

cyberhusky
VIC, 68 posts
31 Aug 2013 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HumanCartoon said..

Annual leave booked, leave pass secured, accommodation locked in .

Ditto, gonna be my first time to this event, looking forward to it.

Session
VIC, 445 posts
4 Sep 2013 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

Lets hope this place is cranking again.

Deano72
NSW, 540 posts
4 Sep 2013 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Session said..

Lets hope this place is cranking again.

It was crankin last year the day before the event kicked off.....wind swung offshore in the arvo and it was on
When the Rivo is only this size there is usually better options elsewhere that pick more swell.....if ya know where to look

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
4 Sep 2013 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

Not a chance Casso , we have you lined up for a crash tackle if you go near that envelope.

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
4 Sep 2013 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said...
Casso said..

Not a chance Casso , we have you lined up for a crash tackle if you go near that envelope.

Casso there will be a few extras coming in with swinging arms over the top just like the first tackle of a state of origin game.

just to make sure you don't secretly run away with that one again....

We will be watching you buddy!!!

Piros you are sacked as the navigator after getting us sooo lost in the Surftech van last year.... "Best trip Eva"

But you can still ride shotgun. as being totally lost is how I roll...lol

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
4 Sep 2013 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Haha nothing wrong with a bit of bush bashing Dog.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
4 Sep 2013 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

So keen to go this year but got my 20 year High School reunion on the 23rd. Maybe I'll come for the Thursday & friday & bolt home sat morning?? How long is the drive from Sydney to Merimbula?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
4 Sep 2013 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

So keen to go this year but got my 20 year High School reunion on the 23rd. Maybe I'll come for the Thursday & friday & bolt home sat morning?? How long is the drive from Sydney to Merimbula?

About 6hrs.

DJ

Helmy
VIC, 796 posts
24 Sep 2013 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Deano72 said..

Kieranr said..

Something at Fishpen is the go....close to all the daytime action and still within staggering distance from the Bowlo

So does it matter which side of Fishpen - lakeside or ocean side?
Not familiar with the area and haven't been to the event before, so want to make sure the accommodation is logistically suitable - board transport / storage / driving / staggering distance etc. Is it a drive to the main beach anyway (with boards etc), or are the ocean-side apartments a walk instead?

Anecdote for you all - stayed in one of those "family resorts" up at Goldie last year, where the apartments are built around the swimming pools. Was woken up at 6.30am each morning by 4 yr olds whacking pool noodles on the water...whack, whack, whack all day till 9pm. The only time they backed off was when they had to piss in the pool or spa. Thankfully decided that our girls are too old for us to have to do that again...

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
25 Sep 2013 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Helmy said..

Deano72 said..

Kieranr said..

So does it matter which side of Fishpen - lakeside or ocean side?
Not familiar with the area and haven't been to the event before, so want to make sure the accommodation is logistically suitable - board transport / storage / driving / staggering distance etc. Is it a drive to the main beach anyway (with boards etc), or are the ocean-side apartments a walk instead?

Anecdote for you all - stayed in one of those "family resorts" up at Goldie last year, where the apartments are built around the swimming pools. Was woken up at 6.30am each morning by 4 yr olds whacking pool noodles on the water...whack, whack, whack all day till 9pm. The only time they backed off was when they had to piss in the pool or spa. Thankfully decided that our girls are too old for us to have to do that again...

Ford Oval, which is on Ocean Drive is the main location for the comp. The expo and BBQ are set up there and all briefings, sign-in etc will be there as well. Most people try to get accommodation as close to that as possible.

You could spend the whole 4 days just centred around that area and never have to drive at all, but if you want to find good waves you will be in the car at some stage.

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
26 Sep 2013 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

All booked and my tribe are stoked.
Se ya all there
Looking forward to my Dirty Turd t,shirt

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
26 Sep 2013 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Waterhorse said..

All booked and my tribe are stoked.
Se ya all there
Looking forward to my Dirty Turd t,shirt

Awesome.. See you there..

DJ

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
28 Sep 2013 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Pics from a past Merimbula classic for those who've never been.

Here..
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Pics-from-my-Mambo-trip/
DJ

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
30 Sep 2013 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Here's the poster for the dirty turd.

DJ

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
19 Nov 2013 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Well I hit the road yesterday with my 12'6" Glide and 9'5" Mana.. and managed to get my Fat bike inside..

DJ

A few stops along the way.

There at last.

Oooh.. nice little waves at the main beach.

Up early ish for a paddle in the inlet today.

We dont have water like this back home.

Paddled over to the beautiful Bar beach.

The tide was full but there were nice little knee high waves on the Bar..

I spent the next two hours surfing one after another on my 12'6".. No one else out..

I must have caught a hundred waves.. Fell in once.. Only in boardies and not cold at all.

Then found a nice little possie to soak up some sun and relax.

Then it was back to get my Fat bike out and try out my new knobbies.

You know the tires are fat when the bike stands up by itself.

Then off to the RSL.. Jeez they do a good roast in Merimbula..

DJ

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
20 Nov 2013 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Looks
everyone stay home not worth going.
See Thursday morning my groms are frothing to get there

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
20 Nov 2013 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

Yeeeeeeeewwwwww!! Hitting the road soon!! :)

E T
QLD, 2286 posts
20 Nov 2013 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

DJ.

I have been waiting a year for another pucture of you eating a pie on your travel stop.

No go. What happened to your pie stop?

You must know that all of us Queenslanders look forward to you well documented travel pictorial.

Don't let us down mate.

ET.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Merimbula 2013" started by DavidJohn