Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Need a SUP to support my 100kg...

Created by Goggles > 9 months ago, 10 Dec 2014
Goggles
1 posts
10 Dec 2014 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Looking to get onto a SUP, however having a hard time figuring what will carry my weight (100kg) for waves and cruising. I'm planning on my partner using it as well, she's similar height (6ft).

Any recommendations? I've been looking at Naish Hokua and the Starboard Pro, however am hoping to uncover others more suitable for my weight if possible. Price isn't an issue, would rather have quality and enjoy it than break something poorly made.

Kenoo
WA, 115 posts
10 Dec 2014 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

C4 Waterman Da Beachboy 10'6 will have no problems with your weight, even the Ten-Thirty will paddle and surf well although won't be as stable as the 10'6. The designs are top notch and the current layups inc Carbon, Kevlar and Bamboo are really holding up well.

Todzilla
189 posts
10 Dec 2014 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

When i started SUP i was the wrong side of 120kg's and 6'9" - i'm still 6'9" but the weight's down to a 'mere' 105kgs… The board that turned it all around for me was a Starboard Avanti, 11'2' x 36". A proper aircraft carrier of a board admittedly but super stable and super fun. In all honesty though i progressed beyond it pretty quickly - at least as far as flat water goes but i was out on it on the weekend and it was still proper fun.

Might be worth a look if you can track one down...

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
10 Dec 2014 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Heaps of choices for the uses you describe at "only" 100 kg

Starboard:
11'2 Blend
10'5 Drive
12'0 Big Easy
Maybe Atlas or Avanti (but you're getting into very big boards there, at 'only' 100kegs you might find these a tad unwieldy in a short time)

Naish:
Nalu 11'0 or 10'6 (or maybe the 11'4 or 10'10 but they are very different boards to each other)
Mana 9'5

Fanatic:
10'6 Fly
9'5 or maybe 9'1 Allwave

JP Australia:
11'2 Allround
102 Fusion

Laird:
10'6 or 11'0 'Surfer

Just to name a few in the 'name' brands - you're going to be spoiled for choice. As always (if you can) demo demo demo

808-Obsession
QLD, 440 posts
10 Dec 2014 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 108kgs 6'2 and on a 10' Naish Mana. Gives me a good all-round paddler in surf and flat-water, however I hear the Naish Nalu is also good, just with a little better glide for flats, and more of a longboard feel in the surf. Enjoy whatever you ride! I'd say the Hokua might be a handful on the flats - pretty pronounced rocker line. More of a dedicated surf SUP

Chris_M
2129 posts
10 Dec 2014 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

I had a bloody good time on a 9'6 Fanatic Allwave, think they come as 9'5 now.

Also 100kg, used mostly for surf but is very good for cruising etc, it's really stable but fun in the waves

DavidJohn
VIC, 17437 posts
10 Dec 2014 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

If it's your first board.. you should consider the 9'8'' Odysseus..

Or if you're after better surfing performance the 11' Nalu would be good.

baddog
256 posts
1 Feb 2015 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

DJ, have you done a surfing vid with the Odysseus? Sure would luv to see one

surfnsirhiss
WA, 87 posts
1 Feb 2015 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Gday Goggles, Like you I am around the 100kg mark (well just over) and have only just picked up a SUP, I bought a Jimmy Lewis 10''3 x 35" Maestro with full deck grip. I found it floated me easily, paddled well and caught waves and surfed nicely. Happy with my choice

surfnsirhiss
WA, 87 posts
1 Feb 2015 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Gday Goggles, Like you I am around the 100kg mark (well just over) and have only just picked up a SUP, I bought a Jimmy Lewis 10''3 x 35" Maestro with full deck grip. I found it floated me easily, paddled well and caught waves and surfed nicely. Happy with my choice

bilbz
27 posts
1 Feb 2015 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

My 10'6" Surftech balboa is pretty good at doing most things well, it tracks great on flat water with good glide, it surfs better than it looks and is robust as buggery.
But there is so many options these days its really a matter of what your budget allows and what feels the best to you.
Cheers

CharlieF
90 posts
1 Feb 2015 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Goggles I was in your situation a couple of weeks ago. I'm 105ks and dropping in weight already! Ended up buying an NSP 10'2 x 32 it came with a bag, paddle and leash. Cheap as and a good learner board, very stable. I realise I will out grow it at some stage but by then I'll be a little clearer about what I want next - e.g. a more surf oriented board or a better quality all rounder. Good luck!

JB Mel
QLD, 297 posts
2 Feb 2015 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

We have a couple of really big boards in our school fleet. They are Hobie 12'2 x 32. They are 239lts volume and we can get just about anyone up and going on these. The amazing thing is that they surf really well! If the waves are small, Jason (only 85kgs) regularly grabs one of these and throws it around. In a school environment they have held up really well.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Need a SUP to support my 100kg..." started by Goggles