Anyone using this for paddling

hanza1111
84 posts
17 Apr 2016 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
Anyone using this for paddling

Not Familiar with that one Paul. Is it waterproof?
I've had a Magellan "Switch" for a while (cheap and basic but works, I didn't have HR version). Cost me $150 at the time! bargain
Now just upgraded to a Suunto "Ambit3 sport" with HR. I couldn't afford a garmin, would love one of those fenix 3 but just couldn't justify the cost for me(!) haha.

FYI most guys up here are on these and I would recommend them:
Magellan Switch
Suunto Ambit 2 or 3
Garmin 920 xt or Fenix 2 or 3.

good luck

Foam
WA, 768 posts
17 Apr 2016 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers mate, which one is most popular?
I think all of these have to be charged

Foam
WA, 768 posts
17 Apr 2016 6:55AM
Thumbs Up

They all like nice mate , the polar m400 can be picked up on sale most of the time for $199 with monitor rrp $400

I like all the others but not into ski mode etc

But in saying that I don't run either unless being chased by the popo

hanza1111
84 posts
17 Apr 2016 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Just get that polar or magellan to start off and see how it goes. They will all give you gps track and HR if included.
If you want to get more serious about training and HR zones and a watch with more features get a ambit3 or garmin 920xt (most guys up here on these now after uprading from the Magellan).
garmin and suunto also cost a lot more!

Foam
WA, 768 posts
17 Apr 2016 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

What about the garmin 910 xt vs 920 xt

I think these two might be the pick not to high in price and better than the polar as I don't think the polar would like to be dipped to long in water especially in waves

Where the garmin are multi sport and may handle water depth

Foam
WA, 768 posts
17 Apr 2016 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Does the 920xt have a paddle board feature

Foam
WA, 768 posts
17 Apr 2016 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

>

hanza1111
84 posts
17 Apr 2016 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foam said..
What about the garmin 910 xt vs 920 xt

I think these two might be the pick not to high in price and better than the polar as I don't think the polar would like to be dipped to long in water especially in waves

Where the garmin are multi sport and may handle water depth

I'm not too familiar with garmin 910/920 series as I was only interested in the fenix 3 (nicer round watch face; does cost a lot more though).

Lots of reviews online giving a good breakdown of differences....

910XT vs 920XT:

Foam
WA, 768 posts
17 Apr 2016 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yep 920xt is the goods I was reading somewhere garmin was adding a sup section into the watch but not sure if it has been added yet.
Thought a owner may know

Foam
WA, 768 posts
19 Apr 2016 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

Kenoo
WA, 115 posts
19 Apr 2016 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

I've been using one since Xmas and am stoked with it, does all the things I need as a training watch, smart watch (phone notifications), is much lower profile than most training watches so I can wear it all the time without looking like a tosser (not because of the watch anyway) and only have to charge it once a week (less if not doing much tracking).

Foam
WA, 768 posts
19 Apr 2016 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Is there a sup programe on it I hear there was going to be one

Kenoo
WA, 115 posts
19 Apr 2016 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Not at the moment, I use a canoeing (not kayaking) program when on a SUP as speed and action etc is pretty similar.

Foam
WA, 768 posts
20 Apr 2016 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

Great thanks, I guess the actual sup one will be available to download to the watch via computer when it's available

SUPingCaveman
NSW, 111 posts
6 May 2016 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Foam,
I did a number of reviews of GPS watches over the past year and reviewed the M400. It is here
http://www.thesupingcaveman.com/blog/sup-review-polar-m400-gps-hrm/2/7/2015
Since then there has been issues with the watch particularly the issue of sand and water ingress around the mini USB Jack.
I also reviewed the 920XT and from my dealings with Garmin they informed me that it will not be getting the SUP profile that exists on the FENIX3 and their new watches like the 630 and soon to release vivoactive HR.
I use the FENIX 3 and love it. i also reviewed this for Highly Tuned Athletes
highlytunedathletes.com.au/blog/garmin-fenix-3-review/

If if you have any other questions just fire away

spierss
1 posts
14 Jun 2016 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, I user the Polar 400 for SUP. I have to use the rowing profile, which I don't believe is true to sup. It tracks you via the gps which is seamless and very easy to use. Once you download to the PolarFlow on your computer you can get your paddle info in great detail. Add a heart rate monitor and you're set. The only thing I don't believe is accurate is the activity tracker and perhaps the calorie burn because the rowing profile would be different from a SUP. For example a 6 km paddle for me shows that I only completed a tenth of my daily activity whereas a 5 km run almost fills my activity.

for the price, the watch is very good.

I use the watch daily for my paddles, runs and mtn bike rides.
hope that helps.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Polar m400" started by Foam