Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Races for the 2016 / 2017 season

Created by NNSUP > 9 months ago, 29 Aug 2016
NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

The race season is upon us. I've been putting race notifications up on Face Book on the sites below.
NSW DOWNWIND SERIES
SYDNEY PADDLE SURFING CLUB
AuSUP
SPSC TRAINING GROUP
SYDNEY SUP DOWNWIND
If you want to know what's happening in NSW in particular it's worth following these sites. If you want your event posted you unfortunately can't post direct and will need to message me or another administrator on the particular page.
I will add info to this thread as more details come to hand.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD EVENTS TO THIS THREAD.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

THE SYDNEY SUP FESTIVAL.
The Sydney SUP Festival is once again a two day event and will be held on 18th-19th[corrected] February 2017 based out of Royal Motor Yacht Club in Pittwater. There will once again be the short and long course Scotland Island race as well as the Pittwater Down Wind Classic. More details soon.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

FORSTER ISLAND PADDLE FESTIVAL
"PRESS RELEASE"

The third LJ Hooker Forster Island Paddle Festival returns on the 4th and 5th of February 2017

LOCK IT IN YOUR DIARY

ENTRIES OPENING SOON !

WEEKEND EVENT SCHEDULE

SATURDAY 4TH FEBRUARY

10:30 am 10KM 50/50 OCEAN TO LAKE SUP
12.30 PM EXPO OPENS
1:00 pm 12KM SKI PADDLE
1:15 pm 6KM SKI PADDLE
3:00 pm 200M SUP 6-16YRS KIDS
3:30 pm 200M SKI PADDLE DASH FOR CASH
4:00 pm 200M SUP DASH FOR CASH
5.00 pm PRESENTATION (LAKES AND OCEAN HOTEL)
5.30 pm CHARITY AUCTION (LAKES & OCEAN HOTEL)

SUNDAY 5TH FEBRUARY
7:00 am 10KM SUP
8:30 am 5KM SUP
9:30 am 2KM SUP
10:00 am MYSTERY ORIENTEERING (TEAM OF 2)
11:00 am 200M (CORPORATE CHARITY CHALLENGE RELAY)
11.45 am PRESENTATION
12:00 pm BERG BUILDING FORSTER ISLAND CHALLENGE RUN/SWIM
1:00 pm EVENTS CONCLUDE

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

COFFS HARBOUR DOWNWIND
Details on the Ocean Paddler web site.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

The Sydney Paddle Surfing Club has three short boards and three 10 foot comps this year. Details on the SPSC Face Book page.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

THE SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL.
Mick Porra is planning to make The Sydney International one of the biggest SUP races in the World. This is the week following the King of the Cut in WA and will be a downwind race on Sydney's Northern Beaches.

10th-11th December 2016

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

SEA CLIFF OCEAN CHALLENGE
Bulli (Wollongong) NSW
NOVEMBER 5th.
Sea Cliff Ocean Challenge 2016 - Saturday, November 5th, Bulli SLSC ... more information coming ....

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

BRIDGE TO BEACH
Sydney

Here's the race that lets you paddle under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. More info on the Ocean Paddler website.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

THE DOCTOR
WA. Ocean Paddler website for details.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

KING OF THE CUT
WA
This is the biggest and best downwind race in the country. 24 km of carpet bumps. There's also a smaller Half Cut this year. A huge crew expected this year... Unfortunately not me.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

BALMORAL SUP SERIES
Sydney

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
29 Aug 2016 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

I think the Sydney SUP Festival is actually on 18th-19th February 2017.

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
29 Aug 2016 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Quiet arvo at school OME?

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
29 Aug 2016 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

Yes that is correct Casso - Sydney SUP festival - February 18th-19th 2017

Pittwater Downwind Classic - Saturday 18th
Scotland Island Races and Naish Time trials - Sunday 19th

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

Unfortunately I read one of AAs's emails incorrectly and I didn't pick it up Casso.
Select to expand quote
WINDSURFnSNOW said..
Quiet arvo at school OME?

Too many requests for info Sambo. Now I have catch up at home.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
29 Aug 2016 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AA said..

Casso said..

Yes that is correct Casso - Sydney SUP festival - February 18th-19th 2017

Pittwater Downwind Classic - Saturday 18th
Scotland Island Races and Naish Time trials - Sunday 19th

Hopefully the DW can be either day to cater to the conditions AA.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
31 Aug 2016 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

SYDNEY PADDLE SURFING CLUB. Comp #1
We are FROTHING to announce the First comp for the 2016/17 season will be up at Palm Beach on Sunday 11th September. Starting at 7.10am, with first heat scheduled to hit the water at 7.45am. As this is the first contest for the season we will be renewing club memberships. So unless you have already renewed your membership online please get there a little earlier to renew on the day.

Let's start the 2016/17 season huge and get as many people down to Palmy as possible. All ages & skills are welcome!

There will be some refreshments and snacks provided on the day, included in entry/membership fee.

There will be a lucky door prize at each event. To be eligible for the prize you must be a full member of SPSC and you must be present at the end of the day’s competition.

Everyone's welcome so please tell all your friends and family to come along. It is going to be an awesome year.....yewwwww

2016-17 Fees
- $90 Full SPSC membership that now is joined with Sydney Downwind Club. Includes club T-Shirt
- $35 one-off fees per competition for non-members

cheynemitch
VIC, 6 posts
31 Aug 2016 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Hey NNSUP thanks for all the event info. I have started a facebook page that I was going to dedicate to SUP and paddle events throughout Australia as I have found it hard to find races unless you access the particular pages. I figured a one stop page for everyone in the paddle community to find events on would be great. It would be unreal if you would put all these events on there. The page on FB is called WatSUP. Would love some feedback. Cheers

Themoke
QLD, 50 posts
1 Sep 2016 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cheynemitch will your page include the smaller club events?

cheynemitch
VIC, 6 posts
1 Sep 2016 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah the page is for everyone to put there events on. Small or large. Local or international. I have found it hard to find events and this is why I started this

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
1 Sep 2016 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cheynemitch said...
Hey NNSUP thanks for all the event info. I have started a facebook page that I was going to dedicate to SUP and paddle events throughout Australia as I have found it hard to find races unless you access the particular pages. I figured a one stop page for everyone in the paddle community to find events on would be great. It would be unreal if you would put all these events on there. The page on FB is called WatSUP. Would love some feedback. Cheers

You're welcome to repost any of the events I put on the Face Book pages listed above. Most of the Sydney crew use these and AuSUP is the one I post National events on.

Betty
30 posts
2 Sep 2016 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
7 Sep 2016 6:22AM
Thumbs Up

It's not far off. The biggest and most prestigious downwind race in the country.

Betty
30 posts
10 Sep 2016 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

newywaterman
10 posts
14 Sep 2016 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

This is awesome! writing out my list of comps for 2017.
hoping to get into racing in 2017.
is there a 12'6 & 14ft divisions for racing? not up to speed on this side of SUP.
any info or help would be awesome

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
15 Sep 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
newywaterman said..
This is awesome! writing out my list of comps for 2017.
hoping to get into racing in 2017.
is there a 12'6 & 14ft divisions for racing? not up to speed on this side of SUP.
any info or help would be awesome

There generally isn't a 12'6" division anymore. There's generally a 14 foot division as well as unlimited in downwind races. There is some talk amongst race organisers of doing the Hawaiian thing and making all races unlimited.
It just makes things easier for race organisers, however, until there are more unlimiteds there will always be a 14 foot division.

12'6 has traditionlly been used for BOP racing in the surf and there's even some talk of just making this 14 as well.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
4 Oct 2016 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

THE SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL PADDLEBOARD CLASSIC.
Dean Gardiner, the man behind The Doctor, has teamed up with Mick Porra from Nitro Circus to host The Sydney International. This is the week following the King of the Cut and is going to be a challenging course from Long Reef to Palm Beach. Make sure you put this in your diary.
More info to follow.
John Engel.
www.facebook.com/Chopsgardiner/posts/10154095115072753

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
21 Oct 2016 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Along with surfing every day, happy hour at 3pm, the food festival on Friday night and the Game of Foams party on Saturday night, there is also a bit of SUP racing action at the Merimbula Classic. There are a few changes this year to make these events even MORE FUN!

Balmoral Paddlesurf Beach to Bar - The 4 man tag-team spectacular.
Saturday 10.30am:
The team relay begins with a long paddle down the lake right through town to the Bar Beach where the 2nd paddler is tagged to paddle down to Main beach. The 3rd paddler goes back up to Bar Beach and the 4th returns to Main Beach to be showered in glory.

The Lahui Kai Surf SUP Off’s - lets BOP!
Sunday 10.30am:

The same teams from the Balmoral Beach to Bar race compete in the penultimate SUP Surf relay right out front at Main Beach. An M-course is set through the surf zone with a sprint to the beach to tag the next team member. All team members must compete a lap on the same board used the day before.

NOTE: This year teams may use a different board for the SUP Surf relay. One board per team Saturday. One board per team Sunday. For teams without sponsored riders - you may swap out ONE team member for Sunday.

Divisions for the two team events 14’ (max length) class…. 1st- Trophy . 2nd - prize 3rd- prize FUN category (11’ max - non displacement) 1st- Trophy . 2nd - prize 3rd- prize Best dressed team……….. 1st- Trophy Best effort in the Merimbula classic spirit - Trophy

The SUNOVA Merimbula Bay run: SUP down winder (this event is condition dependant)
The ultimate SUP race - paddling downwind for 8k's with the wind on your back. Paddle from Main beach Merimbula to Pambula beach in a N'Easter and in reverse in a southerly. The window for running this race will be over Friday, Saturday and Sunday to maximise the best conditions for this race.

Please note, this race is not for the feint hearted as it gets incredibly rough out the back in a NE'e and the finish is through a surf break. There will be a strict cut off time to the first up-wind turning buoy to continue in this race as paddling experience is required to paddle down-wind safely for 8 kilometres in rough conditions. and brightly coloured tops mandatory. Leashes and Hi viz Buoyancy vest mandatory. No bum bags.

Divisions for the SUNOVA Down winder 14' (max length) class Prizes for first man, women and Master (45+)

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
21 Oct 2016 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

FRIDAY AFTERNOON BOP is back in Sydney.
We're meeting this afternoon at 5:30pm at Mona Vale Basin for some casual in and outs.
All welcome

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
21 Oct 2016 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

A shot of what you missed if you didn't get to the Mona Vale BOP session.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Races for the 2016 / 2017 season" started by NNSUP