Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUP Surfing after heart attack (Spontaneous coronary artery dissection), 2018.

Created by HuntingtonBeach > 9 months ago, 28 Jul 2018
HuntingtonBeach
1 posts
28 Jul 2018 6:04AM
Thumbs Up

I just had a heart attack at the age of 52. It was a dissection and not caused by plaque. I had a stroke in 2009.

After the heart attack on July 3rd, 2018, I have been told to stay out of the water by one of my cardiologists, permanently, as it is too dangerous, fin cuts, bruises, head trauma.

But my other cardiologist says I can surf in the future, but no exercise until I complete cardiac rehab.

I have read a lot about this, and I even did a brief post on it on our Huntington Beach SUP website.

The reason I am posting this is to see, have any of you surfed after a heart attack, if so, how did you prepare, how did it go, etc.? Did you sustain injuries?

Please reply here or post on our FaceBook page.

http://www.huntingtonbeachsup.com/surfing-on-blood-thinners/

www.facebook.com/huntington.beach.sup

Topher

Dick Tatta
NSW, 342 posts
28 Jul 2018 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Huntingtonbeach,
Had a heart attack same age I'm now 64,had a 90% blockage in one artery,was told to take it easy for the first 3months.Went back for a stress test 3mths later to check on the stent and any problems,all good.I now have a stress test every 1yr,and a full blood test to check my cholesterol.After the first year I had stopped all major drugs,now I'm only on aspirin an d 5mg of a statin.I surf my 10'mana,paddle and surf my 14' glide,run and bike ride.Only advice I can give is be thankful you got a second chance,get outside and paddle,run and bike ride,walking a great way to start.Enjoy life,your family do yoga and be very mindful of depression,which strikes a majority of heart attack victims.If you want to pm me I'm happy to talk.good luck and don't worry or google.

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
29 Jul 2018 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

I had a huge wipeout about 3 years ago at Burleigh point at age 67. Landed on my back in shallow water.
Started with concussion which led to a minor stroke and eventually a heart attack and bypass surgery to lad (left anterior descending artery) 60% blockage. All the result of high impact wipeout which my cardiologist believed shook and loosened things up a bit in the arteries.
I still surf but only in small stuff and even now a heavy fall sets me back a couple of weeks.
I don't take any medication any more other than blood pressure tablets. I totally changed my lifestyle and live on a plant based whole food diet, and as little processed food as possible. Lots of fruit and veg and beans, legumes etc. No meat or dairy. I read somewhere a cardiologist saying most people can't be trusted to change their lifestyle so they give them blood thinners and statins. I take a 1000mg Kyolic garlic capulet daily which I believe helps thin the blood and a B12 supplement .
I feel pretty good and walk and paddle flat water or surf most days but at age 70 realise that I'm not bulletproof anymore and try to exercise within my limits.

colas
5064 posts
29 Jul 2018 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rockmagnet said..
I read somewhere a cardiologist saying most people can't be trusted to change their lifestyle so they give them blood thinners and statins.

Yes, it is incredible how (nearly) getting rid of processed foods can be beneficial. But Doctors know from experience that it is nearly impossible to impose a diet change to somebody, it has to be a voluntary decision. Plus I guess there is always the risk to be sued if you didn't prescribe the standard treatments.

Dick Tatta
NSW, 342 posts
29 Jul 2018 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rockmagnet,
Glad your ok and thriving,good point about diet,after 10yrs I could finally walk past a pie shop without drooling.My diet isn't as strict as yours,but still no booze during the week,all veggies and fruit,very little meat.Like you my boards are wider and waves are smaller,but still surfing.Im interested in the garlic will check it out,yep b12 a champion supplement.

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
29 Jul 2018 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fitzsup said..
Hey Rockmagnet,
Glad your ok and thriving,good point about diet,after 10yrs I could finally walk past a pie shop without drooling.My diet isn't as strict as yours,but still no booze during the week,all veggies and fruit,very little meat.Like you my boards are wider and waves are smaller,but still surfing.Im interested in the garlic will check it out,yep b12 a champion supplement.

I get the Kyolic garlic from iHerb in the US . Takes less than a week and I buy 4 bottles at a time so it lasts a fair while.

JosephBetts
155 posts
29 Jul 2018 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rockmagnet said..
I had a huge wipeout about 3 years ago at Burleigh point at age 67. Landed on my back in shallow water.
Started with concussion which led to a minor stroke and eventually a heart attack and bypass surgery to lad (left anterior descending artery) 60% blockage. All the result of high impact wipeout which my cardiologist believed shook and loosened things up a bit in the arteries.
I still surf but only in small stuff and even now a heavy fall sets me back a couple of weeks.
I don't take any medication any more other than blood pressure tablets. I totally changed my lifestyle and live on a plant based whole food diet, and as little processed food as possible. Lots of fruit and veg and beans, legumes etc. No meat or dairy. I read somewhere a cardiologist saying most people can't be trusted to change their lifestyle so they give them blood thinners and statins. I take a 1000mg Kyolic garlic capulet daily which I believe helps thin the blood and a B12 supplement .
I feel pretty good and walk and paddle flat water or surf most days but at age 70 realise that I'm not bulletproof anymore and try to exercise within my limits.

I have been off all processed foods for the past 5 weeks and have lost about 10kgs from it. How did you get concussed, head hit board? Those concussions are ****ing nasty when they good ones. Lost another 6 from tonsilitis. Fit into my wedding pants today

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
29 Jul 2018 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JosephBetts said..

rockmagnet said..

I have been off all processed foods for the past 5 weeks and have lost about 10kgs from it. How did you get concussed, head hit board? Those concussions are ****ing nasty when they good ones. Lost another 6 from tonsilitis. Fit into my wedding pants today

No the board did not hit head , I landed at high speed on very shallow sandbank, back shoulders neck and head.

crazybula
NSW, 99 posts
30 Jul 2018 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Had a heart attack Sept 2016 whilst flatwater training age 47. No pain or impairment just got really tired and felt off. Lightly tapped the last 500m home on the creek not knowing what it was at the time but acknowledging there was a problem. Checked into hospital and found only slightly elevated troponnin levels. 2 days later an angiogram found 90% blockage, installed 1x stent and sent me home the next day. Now locked into medicated protocols.
Have family history so knew it was coming but didn't think this decade. Damned genetics. Dad has had a bit of plumbing issues but is still charging.
Cholesterol normal, blood pressure excellent, very active and was the fittest I'd been in 10 years and still got hit by the golden BB.
Heart is superb but plumbing is ****e.
Green lighted and raced 3mths later. Doing everything as before but get a little gun shy when redlining (mental block/flashbacks).
They kept me on all the meds as a precaution despite my protests - I hate pills - they're a PITA (which reminds me I have to take todays).
Still surf, train, race, DW. If you don't use it ya lose it.
You are right about the mental aspect, it can be the hardest thing to deal with especially if younger and "bulletproof". As soon as they said I was right to do what I did before it was a massive weight off my shoulders/mind. Although I don't quite think they understand the level of exercise/sport I do.
So now still doing 32min for my 5km loop but reluctant to go/train harder, however I do cheat and paddle an unlimited a lot.
Surfing the same as before, all forms.
Not so sure about foiling just yet, a lotta sharp edges when you're on thinners.

wazza66
QLD, 611 posts
30 Jul 2018 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

I had a heart attack at the age of 49 in the surf at the Alley, May 27, 2016 whilst surfing my 7'8 SUP. No prior history and no family history of cardio disease, cholesterol 4.2 on the day.Being a PE teacher, outrigger paddler and martial artist for most of my adult live so considered myself reasonably fit and experienced no signs or symptoms of any heart trouble. Paddled in after legs going to jelly,super tired and having bad pain between my shoulder blades.... longest scariest paddle of my life as I felt horrible and I knew something serious was up.

Anyway 3 blocked (99/98/99%) arteries and stents later I am back after and on a lifetime of standard post heart attack meds eg. cholesterol, blood thinners and calcium channel blockers. Eat clean foods and watch what goes into my mouth.Training smarter not harder now and surfing heaps as it is the best way to stay fit and healthy.

Definitely a life changing experience and a tough mental hurdle to jump over as you are no longer bulletproof and it takes awhile to regather your confidence back to push yourself hard again. Probably took me 6 months to digest the whole thing and stop wondering why me and if another one was around the corner. I did 1 cardio rehab session and was told to get back in the surf ASAP to help me overcome the fear factor of it happening again under physical stress.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones as stats say that only 50% of males survive heart attacks.

It makes you take a good look at your life and makes it easy to change you habits if you really want to live longer and enjoy your time on the planet.

cbigsup
454 posts
20 Aug 2018 3:17AM
Thumbs Up

Three years ago I had an SCA and was clinically dead.

CPR immediately from friends saved my life.

Came to in ICU and an ICD was installed in case of future VFIB episodes.

Avoided the allopathic meds and astounded my cardiologist by recovering completely with homeopathic remedies, gemmotherapy, and other alternative treatments.

Revascularization (i.e. stents)
was initially planned, but my recovery rendered that unnecessary as well.

I count my blessings and give thanks to Higher Authority daily.

pumpjockey02
309 posts
21 Aug 2018 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

Huntington beach, information is key go and get as much research as possible, including a dietician. Start slow after your heart recovery process and start planning your meals around healthy changes. Remember that eating healthy does not mean you cant eat burgers any more you need to be proactive with your diet.

Consistency is the key with dropping weight, blood pressure and insulin. Depending on your age.
I like to start late winter. I choose two key exercises SUP and bicycle riding and add walking. I add the minimum. So it is 1km flat paddle plus 1km riding plus, 1km walking daily. I add 1km riding a day and then 1km walking and 1km SUP paddling per week. Now into third week, 3k Paddle, 3km walk plus 15km ride, try for 6 days per week. I also use a Garmin Vivoactive to check my heart rate during exercises.
I try to stick to this for 8 weeks and then have a month off. If I feel fatigued I take a day or two off and then return to my system. I also do Yoga sun salutation and stretching with a large foam roller at night.

I also try and stick to clean diet of breakfast, bran yogurt and berries, plus sandwich and then soup on weekdays. No beer or coffee.
However I find I can snack after the SUP. I also eat in a system through the year month by month. I choose a country for a month and then eat that type of food. So in August its American food so two days a week I will eat American snacks and food. Burgers, hot chips, donuts, pop tarts etc, I find this helps with my junk food cravings and trying junk food replacements. Next month is Spanish month so its tapas and seafood. October is German month and my beer drinking time. I take January off and eat what I like but this is high summer and I am very active during January. Then February is favourite food month, March Mexican, April Australian, May Italian etc. Also I tend to try and eat less during my workout months so in August instead of having burger fries and milkshake. Ill have just burger and small fires. Or shake and small fries. Or small shake and the burger. I find with all the exercises my body does not want too much food.

I use a lot of Australian fitness/cook books to find meals and exercises. Tom Robbards, 70, 20,10. Is a good one as well as Sally Fitzgibbons new surfer fitness/cookbook. I would really see if you could get your hands on one to start your journey to less junk food. I am sure some of the American athletes would have these books out too. Just choose one meal or one exercise and don't get defeatist if you cant do them all straight away as your not a prime athlete in your 20's.

Oh and if you want to go Australian in August or April I can send you over recipes for meat pie floaters, cheese and Vegemite toasties, pavlova, Anzac biscuits and other Aussie favourites. I find if I tell myself I will go completely clean for a week or month I cant stick to it, while if I eat clean for day or two and then have pop tarts or a donut is more manageable for me.

pump.

PS. I also have gained great diet advice from members of this forum. Thanks to all for helping find a more balanced place.

russh
SA, 3025 posts
21 Aug 2018 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Had Cardiac surgery in march 18 open sternal - surfing supn and wavesailing after 3 months - cardiac team really didn't understand anything about the three sports- had to base getting back on how i felt, conditions and rehab excercises - take it slowly and dont go out in extreme conditions-from personal experience- if you're on anti platelet meds be ready for some serious bruising if you hit yourself with board and consider a helmet - good luck

wallie2444
NSW, 37 posts
21 Aug 2018 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for sharing your stories guys. A very interesting read and great to see you blokes still getting out there and ripping in the best you can. Very motivating.
I found myself in a position early this year at 137kgs and 30 years old decided to change my way of living and just so happened to pick up a paddle board around the same time. ( addicted now )
4 months later and 18kg down I hope to avoid some of the above if I keep on this track.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2131 posts
22 Aug 2018 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wallie2444 said..
Thanks for sharing your stories guys. A very interesting read and great to see you blokes still getting out there and ripping in the best you can. Very motivating.
I found myself in a position early this year at 137kgs and 30 years old decided to change my way of living and just so happened to pick up a paddle board around the same time. ( addicted now )
4 months later and 18kg down I hope to avoid some of the above if I keep on this track.

Keep paddling Wallie!

There is nothing better than the fun of SUPing, combined with getting fit and dropping kegs!

This thread is a great reminder to check a check-up; fit guys having heart attacks, no one can afford to be complacent!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUP Surfing after heart attack (Spontaneous coronary artery dissection), 2018." started by HuntingtonBeach