Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Starboard All star 2024 not balanced when holding the handle

Created by Cheni123 3 months ago, 21 Jun 2024
Cheni123
26 posts
21 Jun 2024 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

My new 2024 starboard all star 14/23:
When holding in the center handle the nose dives down as if the handle is located 0.5 inch too much to the back

It both creates problem to carry it but i wonder if there is a paddling issue here and i got a problematic race?

Thoughts?

Tnx

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
22 Jun 2024 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

It used to be a pretty common problem but you would expect them to get it right in a 2024 board..

I'm guessing they got the handle position right at the prototype stage but at the production stage the foam core has inconsistency's with foam density or something like that.. Maybe even in the glassing or sanding process..

I don't see how it could effect padding.. Nice board.

Mark _australia
WA, 22412 posts
23 Jun 2024 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Ive found them so much more comfy to carry by the side ... inside of the upper rail.
For wet hand carry, stick a piece of hexatraction on

Cheni123
26 posts
4 Jul 2024 1:49AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to both!

colas
5063 posts
6 Jul 2024 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Since this is not a recessed handle, but just a straps on 2 plugs, you could just add one or 2 plugs to move the handle.

There are even some stick-on plugs that seem to work well: coloradokayak.com/products/nsi-deck-mount-attach-system
I think I have read here or on supzone that if properly install (clean & sand the area, apply pressure for 24h) , they stay glued.

Cheni123
26 posts
22 Jul 2024 2:32AM
Thumbs Up

Thank you. The local seller offers me to move the insert forward with the habdle to balance it. Question: is it feasible to deal with it without harming the sup?

Also see the insert is almost on the draining hole. Not sure how can they place anything elsewhere. Thoughts?

Another option is to get a replacement but given it's a design issue why would it be any different?

Mark _australia
WA, 22412 posts
22 Jul 2024 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Why not just carry by the side as i suggested? I don't see the problem is huge.... poor design but very easily rectified by carrying it differently.
But yes you can get more inserts glassed in. I do that all the time but its up to you whether u want to take a router to a new board.

Cheni123
26 posts
25 Jul 2024 2:47AM
Thumbs Up

Carrying by side is not safe. It can easily slip and not comfortable.

Freogeezer
44 posts
25 Jul 2024 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

A friend I train with has the same board . I saw it the day she took it out of the box and I actually asked about the carry handle as there didn't appear to be one which I found strange .
Anyway , the carry handle you have on the rail (for beach starts), how about putting another closer to the middle of the board and use that? You can easily move that one closer to the centre to see if it will do the job .
How do you go using the shoulder strap? I imagine it would be easier when using that .

Mark _australia
WA, 22412 posts
25 Jul 2024 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cheni123 said..
Carrying by side is not safe. It can easily slip and not comfortable.

Its very comfortable, and I suggested putting hexatraction on the inside of the rail. It would be invisible, non slip, easy and not require carving into the board with a router to install new inserts as per your other thread.

DB2
100 posts
26 Jul 2024 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Did you put the fin in? And have you tried to put a leash on the board? That will move the balance point.

David

colas
5063 posts
26 Jul 2024 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DB2 said..
Did you put the fin in? And have you tried to put a leash on the board? That will move the balance point.

Now, this is an idea: add some weight to the leash plug (a water bottle with a hook?) to balance the board.

Mark _australia
WA, 22412 posts
27 Jul 2024 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DB2 said..

David

I would hope he did, before asking the shop and then going online
Then again.......

DB2
100 posts
30 Jul 2024 4:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

DB2 said..

David

I would hope he did, before asking the shop and then going online
Then again.......

At least there is no leash-string attached. Adding a curled calf leash of the appropriate size will definitely help balancing the board.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Starboard All star 2024 not balanced when holding the handle" started by Cheni123