Starboard SUP 2017

Created by Auswind > 9 months ago, 15 Aug 2016
JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
23 Sep 2016 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacko94 said..
I have the new 2017 14 x 24.5 Hybrid Grumpycat.It weighed in at 11.8kg which is pretty good considering hybrid durable construction and the added volume of the board. Not to mention the RRP is $2750.I didn't think that a true all-round board existed but Starboard are pretty darn close this year. Obviously a Sprint will beat it in the flat, but not the ocean. The updated volume in the nose helps it fit onto the small bumps and the massive concave-tri concave helps it accelerate down into bumps and boat wakes. The recessed deck grip is super comfy too

just for reference what's your height & weight?

Jacko94
WA, 24 posts
24 Sep 2016 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

I am 6'1" and 80kgs

Yardsale
66 posts
24 Sep 2016 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..

Jacko94 said..
I have the new 2017 14 x 24.5 Hybrid Grumpycat.It weighed in at 11.8kg which is pretty good considering hybrid durable construction and the added volume of the board. Not to mention the RRP is $2750.I didn't think that a true all-round board existed but Starboard are pretty darn close this year. Obviously a Sprint will beat it in the flat, but not the ocean. The updated volume in the nose helps it fit onto the small bumps and the massive concave-tri concave helps it accelerate down into bumps and boat wakes. The recessed deck grip is super comfy too

So that sounds like 2 or 3 pounds lighter than last years hybrid construction? I'm guessing the 26" wide would be about 28 lbs based on the 24.5 .... which would make it more tempting a choice than something over 30 lbs. I'm also looking at the Fanatic Falcon which probably isn't as fast in the flats... but it's lighter and good in swell from what I've read.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
25 Sep 2016 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jacko94 said...
I am 6'1" and 80kgs

Interesting, just need test drive the allstar 24.5 in Victoria melbourne. Missed out on the falcon demo yesterday at kite republic though I might make the zu boards demo day today on the falcon. It's interesting the specs for allstar 24.5 up to 85kg and the falcon 24.75 up to 80kg? I guess this is just a guide & individual preference takes over?

Area10
1508 posts
25 Sep 2016 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

With a 80kg on board, about two-thirds or more of a typical 24" wide 14ft raceboard will be above the waterline. How much do you need above the waterline? Nothing like that much, for sure. So forget this volume business. The brands give these weight guides not because bigger guys will sink the boards, but because heavier *usually* (not always of course) means taller or more unfit. And these guys will need wider boards.

So it's mainly about how fit you are and how good your balance is, rather than flotation and volumes. They are just trying to stop people from wildly overestimating their own abilities and then belly-aching to all and sundry that the boards are "tippy". No- one says "I bought a board that is too advanced for me", although that is 100x more likely a reason for dissatisfaction than "this board won't float me".

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
25 Sep 2016 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Just tested the falcon 26.75" on a windy day 20+knts. It felt stable, not quick tippy but gradual tippy with a side on wave/wind chops, you get plenty of time to react & I never fell off. Goes ok on little waves and up wind and also on little runners/downwind. The board felt narrow for 26.75" and I wish it wasn't windy and like to test this on a flat no wind day on which I reckon the 24.75" will be perfect. I'm 82kg beginner sup.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
25 Sep 2016 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

Just to add, thanks to fanatic and zuboards for putting on a show, should do it more often ; )

If i was to buy one fanatic board that can do all conditions then i would buy the 14' × 26.75" not the 24.76" wide in my weight and skill level.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
27 Sep 2016 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

apology to hijack Yardsale and I've been very active lately maybe its the spring weather here ;)

just tested the new 2017 14 x 24.5 allstar hybrid, its stable and fast but I reckon I will struggle with the board on downwid & surf compare to 2016 14 x 27 allstar hybrid and 2017 fanatic falcon 14 x 26.75. If your a newbie and weight over 80kg or 176lb and in my opinion I wouldn't go below 26 or 26.75 or 27 width board if want to do it all condition sup. I would like to test that 404 14 x 25.5 but I can't find one here in Victoria.

John1960
QLD, 49 posts
27 Sep 2016 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Auswind, has their been any performance reports on the 8'6 2017 hypernut yet.i heard the 2017 hypernuts are selling well.

ODSUP
NSW, 282 posts
27 Sep 2016 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

just received my 8ft by 29pro in starlight

super stoked these boards are just like a short board surfboard but enlarged for a sup, beautiful rails

heaps lighter than last years board
I'm 88kg so I am on the end of the weight range
only surfed in 2to 3ft ft. waves so far but have found it super responsive a little tipper than my old 2014 8.5 pro which was also 106ltrs
great work Starboard

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
27 Sep 2016 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ODSUP said..

super stoked these boards are just like a short board surfboard but enlarged for a sup, beautiful rails

heaps lighter than last years board
I'm 88kg so I am on the end of the weight range
only surfed in 2to 3ft ft. waves so far but have found it super responsive a little tipper than my old 2014 8.5 pro which was also 106ltrs
great work Starboard

nice feedback ODSUP and I'm looking forward to the surf sup Starboard & Naish VIC demo?

Hoffinator
WA, 38 posts
30 Sep 2016 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yardsale said..

JEG said..

Jacko94 said..

So that sounds like 2 or 3 pounds lighter than last years hybrid construction? I'm guessing the 26" wide would be about 28 lbs based on the 24.5 .... which would make it more tempting a choice than something over 30 lbs. I'm also looking at the Fanatic Falcon which probably isn't as fast in the flats... but it's lighter and good in swell from what I've read.

Select to expand quote
Jacko94 said..
I am 6'1" and 80kgs

yeah that's 80kg when he's dripping wet!

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
1 Oct 2016 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Got my 2017 10' Nut on the water today. What a magic board.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
1 Oct 2016 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said...
Got my 2017 10' Nut on the water today. What a magic board.

Nice board Ptwoody can't wait to test this board out!

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
1 Oct 2016 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..

I believe Rod has one of these in the Starboard demo fleet as it travels around Australia. Last year, there was a queue to demo the Hypernuts, this year I think it might be this board. I took it out in 2-3' at Shoreham yesterday and it was magical. If you see me out on it, just ask for a ride. Always happy to share the love.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
1 Oct 2016 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said...
JEG said..

I believe Rod has one of these in the Starboard demo fleet as it travels around Australia. Last year, there was a queue to demo the Hypernuts, this year I think it might be this board. I took it out in 2-3' at Shoreham yesterday and it was magical. If you see me out on it, just ask for a ride. Always happy to share the love.

Cheers PTWoody and I'm hanging to surf that spot and maybe will see you and DJ hangten ;)

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
2 Nov 2016 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have an update on the likely dates for the Vic leg of the demo day? Trying to quarantine it......or have I missed it again? Doh!

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
3 Nov 2016 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..
Anyone have an update on the likely dates for the Vic leg of the demo day? Trying to quarantine it......or have I missed it again? Doh!

It will be in early December I believe.

magillamelb
VIC, 627 posts
3 Nov 2016 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Checked out 14' x 28 Allstar yesterday and was really disappointed to see how roughly shaped the board was. Flat spots everywhere, not symmetrical and overall not a lot of care going into the build. For a manufacturer that has a tag line of 'innovation & quality' I found myself really underwhelmed by what I saw yesterday.

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
3 Nov 2016 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

have you tested that board magillamelb?

PTWoody, can't wait for the demo as it will be good timing for me plus I don't think I'll be able to go this year 2016 MERIMBULA gig.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
3 Nov 2016 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JEG said..
have you tested that board magillamelb?

PTWoody, can't wait for the demo as it will be good timing for me plus I don't think I'll be able to go this year 2016 MERIMBULA gig.

JEG, both Jonathan and I agree that the new changes to the 27" have made the 28" kind of redundant. The 28" was designed to be better for downwind while the 27" was a better all rounder. But the 27" this year is a better downwind board than the 28" in our opinion. And from memory, I think it has more volume. So I'd recommend the 27" to anyone wanting a stable downwind board that can also be raced in flat and bumpy water.

magillamelb
VIC, 627 posts
3 Nov 2016 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

No I haven't, but given the construction of the board, I'm not sure I'd want to.

The build quality of the 27" wide board wasn't much better...

JEG
VIC, 1469 posts
3 Nov 2016 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

test any board magillamelb then make your own analysis, however if looks could k then maybe not?

magillamelb
VIC, 627 posts
3 Nov 2016 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

It's not so much looks JEG, but the board I saw yesterday wasn't even close to symmetrical where it mattered.

The brands & retailers want top dollar for a board which is palatable if the quality is there, but when it's not, I'd rather keep my hard earned coin in my pocket thanks.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
8 Nov 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said..

Tang said..

It will be in early December I believe.

Thanks woody. The more notice the merrier....

DavidJianu
1 posts
23 Nov 2016 4:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hey there
The unlimited gt is actually 17'4
This board is scientifically designed to paddle efficiently rudder/ steering system free
I have owned to date ; four of these bump seeking missiles .
No steering rudder nessesary
The board catches any and every bump in front of it effortlessly
Maneuverability effortlessly
Basically the GT in my experience is simply
The "Gun" board of stand-up

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
13 Dec 2016 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ODSUP said..

Hey OD (or anyone else with one),

Just wondering if you have any more feedback on the new 8'0x29? I had the 2015 board and found it far too boxy in the rails, it was like it still need some refining and by the looks the new board has much better rails. The 2015 also had the fin box too far forward to make it surf well as a thruster, I found. The board wasn;t in the van for the demo tour earlier this month, but I did try the 8'0x28 which was too much like hard work in the wind chop for my height and weight. I normally ride the 2013 version of the 8'5"x29 and find its relatively fine tail rails to be quite good.
cheers
Tang

ODSUP
NSW, 282 posts
13 Dec 2016 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tang
I agree with you on 2015 board ,the 2017 is totally different and is a game changer
if that's you in the barrel this board is for you
did you try the new 2017 8.5 by 29 pro to compare against the 8 by 28 pro?
if so its in the middle re tippy in wind chop
I've surfed the 8 by 29 pro now for a few months this board has plenty of speed and loves cut backs and tail slides
your correct about the new rails ,the board performs fantastic
I live on mid north coast and in general the waves aren't as powerful as you get down in Vico so Id love to hear how it goes in bigger surf
I'm 88kg so I sink it a bit
my wife also surfs it 70kg and loves it, I just have to make sure we don't surf together or she ends up with the board
what is it happy wife happy life !
so I may get the 8.5ft by 29 pro or the new 8.5 by 29 nut for its versatility and a bit more stability in starlight as I like the carbon innegra rails .
but for those supper glassy days we get up here, Ill still take out the 8 by 29 pro as I love it
hope this helps and you get plenty of waves down there

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
13 Dec 2016 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks OD,

I did paddle the new 2017 8'5" and it was pretty nice after being on three much smaller boards, I'd have to say, though my legs were cactus by that stage. I did;t get to catch anything on it where I could do a turn, though. It seemed to have a fair bit less nose area than the 2013. I had a crack on the 8'x28" and found it pretty hard work, but it was pretty choppy and I had been out of the water for a while. I see the 80x29 has half an inch extra in the tail to the x28" which should help the wobbles.

I'm not really into the tail slide thing, though, much prefer rail turns if I can, and I do find the 2013 8'5x29 really hangs on with c-drive fins and hardy ever tail slides - in fact, I've never had it slide out in a serious bottom turn because of the fins and rails (though I've lost it plenty of times shortly thereafter).

I'm 88kg too, and I see the 2017 8'0x29 is 106 litres, which is the same as the 2013 8'5. I could do less foam than than (I had a 2014 airborne which was fine) but its the width that kills me with my height. Anyway, I'd love to have a go on one if you;re down this way!

If you or anyone else gets the chance to post a photo of the tail of the new one to show the rails that would be great. Some vid footage would be good too if you;re up for it, too!

cheers
tang

marco gribi
WA, 196 posts
15 Dec 2016 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tang,

I have taken a couple of shots for you

My favorite 8'5 Pro to-date has been the 2013 version and I still have one lurking around. However with the release of the 2017 version this has changed, everything that I would have changed on the 2013 is pretty much what they have done (except a bit more V).

With regards to the 8'0 x 29 it's not a marked difference in stability to the 2017 8'5, I can still relax while standing waiting for a wave and even with a bit of wind and slop. This is something I could not do on the 8'0 x 28. However it is less stable than the 2013 8'5 (as is the 2017 8'5 at 112L) even though the volume is the same, the thinner rails and more pulled in outline does affect balance more.

Once again my preference is to run a smaller center fin as this livens up the board without making it tail slide and I just found / bought the FCSII SUP thruster set that uses a connect fin for the middle fin. This means all three fins can be inserted and removed without a screwdriver.

8'0 x 28 compared to 8'0 x 29 (orange tail)

Side by side comparison

8'0 x 29 tail (underside)

8'0 x 29 full length shot

8'0 x 29 rail

FCSII Thruster set

Cheers,
Marco

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Starboard SUP 2017" started by Auswind