Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

The 2016 Stand Up Surf Shop King of the Cut

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 4 Nov 2016
Goochi
WA, 846 posts
4 Nov 2016 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

1/2 Cut also on this year on the Sunday. 10km paddle (first half of the King of the Cut course - the best half!) easy start and easy finish, awesome downwind run.

Two containers of boards coming from over east, don't miss out on what will be the biggest SUP event in Australia this year!

Enter - supwa.tidyhq.com/public/events/5467-the-2016-stand-up-surf-shop-king-of-the-cut

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
4 Nov 2016 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

All entered looking forward to 2 weeks in heaven

X angie

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
4 Nov 2016 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Both the Qld container and NSW containers have 30 boards a piece. That's 60 paddlers before even the locals enter. Stimo better get a bigger fridge....,, if that's possible.

Lemartdoz
WA, 13 posts
4 Nov 2016 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait!!! This year is looking so good with the growing unlimited class too!!

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
5 Nov 2016 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Had a run before sunset yesterday, 20 knots southwest doctor behind you, bumps galore!!

Themoke
QLD, 50 posts
5 Nov 2016 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait to get there. All the WA DW posts are driving me nuts!

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
5 Nov 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

The seabreezes were a little late getting here this year but it's been on all week and after a bit of a rest day today most of the WA crew will be heading out for a run somewhere tomorrow.
I believe some may even be out testing conditions and boards on the Cut run.
It's a bit far to go for me, I will just be staying local but frothing to get on it anyway.

?

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
8 Nov 2016 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

The seabreeze is becoming very consistent now, great runs to be had. Still options available for accommodation and board hire.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
9 Nov 2016 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Greg,
Can you please confirm the PDF requirements? cheers Scotty

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
9 Nov 2016 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scotty Mac said..
Greg,
Can you please confirm the PDF requirements? cheers Scotty

Hi Scotty
same as previous years:
PFD type 1,2 or 3 (including inflatable type 1)*
Orange Smoke Flare

*inflatables should be to the Australian Standard - 150N buoyancy

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
9 Nov 2016 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Great Ta, looking foward to it.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
13 Nov 2016 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

If you are entered for the King of the Cut, you get free entry for the Mandurah Sea Rescue Gratitude Run the following day - during the 1/2 Cut. This is a casual DW finishing at Doodies Beach at Halls Head for a BBQ.

Unlimited competitor numbers keep growing - this will be the biggest fleet of ULs ever seen in Australia - possibly outside Hawaii!

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
13 Nov 2016 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

A great little hit out today with Stimo's SUP truck loaded up for a Cut run.
5x14's and 5xUL's did the run, its was very light on for wind without a green arrow in sight but there was still bumps galore.
Damn those unlimiteds though, ya gotta work bloody hard on the 14's just to keep them in sight.

Flounder
QLD, 137 posts
14 Nov 2016 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Goochi said..
If you are entered for the King of the Cut, you get free entry for the Mandurah Sea Rescue Gratitude Run the following day - during the 1/2 Cut. This is a casual DW finishing at Doodies Beach at Halls Head for a BBQ.

Unlimited competitor numbers keep growing - this will be the biggest fleet of ULs ever seen in Australia - possibly outside Hawaii!

Should the Unlimited division of the KOTC be split into age groups then?

Hoffinator
WA, 38 posts
14 Nov 2016 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Flounder said...
Goochi said..

Should the Unlimited division of the KOTC be split into age groups then?

I hope so!

marcus
WA, 219 posts
14 Nov 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

It might not be this year. But when people who aren't chasing the prize money actually realize what they're missing out on it will be the biggest class. I think all the over 40s should use unlimiteds. Perth should be just like hawaii. We have the same quality bumps so why are we messing round on 14s!?

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
14 Nov 2016 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marcus said..
It might not be this year. But when people who aren't chasing the prize money actually realize what they're missing out on it will be the biggest class. I think all the over 40s should use unlimiteds. Perth should be just like hawaii. We have the same quality bumps so why are we messing round on 14s!?

I can see the momentum building and I will no doubt make the move to an unlimited soon but as it stands ATM at 55yo, I can choose to compete against other O50's on a 14 (and have some hope of a podium finish), or otherwise I'm up against any age on an unlimited, which is a tough ask.

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
15 Nov 2016 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

I'm still learning & loving down winding on a 14 footer. Yes an unlimited board will be next, meantime a lot of fun to be had.

Lemartdoz
WA, 13 posts
15 Nov 2016 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys
I can let you know that the organisers have added a O/40 division for the unlimited class.

The divisions are now as follows:
Stand Up Surf Shop Female Pro Class 14'

Stand Up Surf Shop Male Pro Class 14'

Durrant Racing Female O/40 14'

Express Two Storey Living Male U/40 14'
Express Two Storey Living Male O/40 14'
Fremantle Floors Male O/50 14'

Sundowner Signs Open Unlimited (>14')

Horizon Physiotherapy Male O/40 Unlimited (>14')

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
15 Nov 2016 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Wow thats great news guys, even though I will still be on a 14 (for this year at least) I think it's a great initiative.
This race would have just kept growing anyway but adding age divisions to the unlimited's will just attract even more starters, if not this year then definitely next.

It's certainly going to make it a hard choice for me next year.

There is a reason some trees in WA grow like this and it is only a matter of time till the KOTC will let you know why.

Lemartdoz
WA, 13 posts
21 Nov 2016 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey tightlines
Completed a half cut run yesterday on the SIC 17.4! It was my first run on an Unlimited and all I can say is they absolutely fly! Conditions were really good (20knots +)and whilst the steering takes a bit of time to get used to, the board is just awesome! Really convinced of the future of this class! Going to write to father Xmas now...

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
21 Nov 2016 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..
Wow thats great news guys, even though I will still be on a 14 (for this year at least) I think it's a great initiative.
This race would have just kept growing anyway but adding age divisions to the unlimited's will just attract even more starters, if not this year then definitely next.

It's certainly going to make it a hard choice for me next year.

There is a reason some trees in WA grow like this and it is only a matter of time till the KOTC will let you know why.

Over 40's is just as competitive as open unlimited anyway. If Dave Kissane hadn't been passed at the last minute by Matty last year he would have won overall and he's way over 40 (sorry Dave).

Our container this year certainly has way more unlimiteds than last year.

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
25 Nov 2016 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Average looking conditions for the Doctor, but check out on MetEye how solid the breezes are going to be from Sunday onwards.
Blowing crabs off rocks.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
30 Nov 2016 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Just a reminder,

Entries for the KotC and 1/2 Cut close tonight at 6pm WST. Entries will be accepted after this point with a late entry fee.

120 entries so far!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
30 Nov 2016 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Late entry portal now open -supwa.tidyhq.com/public/events/5467-the-2016-stand-up-surf-shop-king-of-the-cut

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
30 Nov 2016 11:20PM
Thumbs Up

Entries so far for the Stand Up Surf Shop King of the Cut

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
1 Dec 2016 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome to see 10 girls in PRO Class and 5 girls in 0/40 Class all giving the Long Course a crack!

Prob the biggest numbers i have ever seen in australia for an ocean race.

Great job ladies.

XX

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
1 Dec 2016 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see big increases in all division, even 16 in the old blokes 14' but where is all the rest of the WA FOB's, Lach, Steve, DJ, Rick etc

mocka
WA, 40 posts
1 Dec 2016 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Kent, did a quick check of some nursing homes and they won't let Lach out, DJ has gone to the big long gofer class, Rick is injured but i should be entered?
Stay tuned for confirmation of KOTC start day!

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
1 Dec 2016 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha Good one Mocka, surely Lach is allowed out on day release.

Check your emails Ladies and Gents, The Main event will be on Sunday.

From what I can see from forecasts I reckon that should be a good call from the organisers.

Bender
WA, 2221 posts
1 Dec 2016 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just entered the 1/2 cut run as I have kiddies xmas party on Saturday

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The 2016 Stand Up Surf Shop King of the Cut" started by Goochi