Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

The Dale Chapman SUP5000 - Sunday 14th September

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 8 Sep 2014
Goochi
WA, 846 posts
8 Sep 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

The Dale Chapman SUP5000 is on this Sunday the 14th of September. Registration online - https://supwa.tidyclub.com/public/events/1103-the-dale-chapman-sup5000

Meet at Deep Water Point for number allocation and briefing at 0800.

One of the most fun SUP events on the SUPWA calendar. Dale Chapman is putting up a $1200 custom DC board voucher towards a SUP surf or race board made to your specifications. This a prize draw for competitors only - so get your entries in quick!!

Divisions:
Wave 1
Female Open 12'6
Male Open 12'6
Junior 14'
Surf Board (10'-12')

Wave 2
Open 14'
Male U/40 14'
Male O/40 14'

Wave 3
Female Open 14'
Female O/40 14'
Male O/50 14'
Mixed Unlimited Boards

Description: There are 4 races for Men & Women 14': 2000m 1500m 1000m 500m 3 Races for Men & Women 12'6 and Surf Boards 1500m 1000m 500m You tally up your places for your results. Lowest score wins.

NOTE - waves will be capped at 20 paddlers (we can only fit 60 paddlers on the race course - we had 54 last season)

Wezzy
WA, 221 posts
9 Sep 2014 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Weather looking great crew...who's in??

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
9 Sep 2014 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Carole Longden is practising on the swan & would love the DC board voucher, me too :)

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
10 Sep 2014 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I'll be there Weezy. Looking forward to making sure the City Beach Drummies don't score too many points

Gosup
WA, 72 posts
10 Sep 2014 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

The newly formed "Pirates Pod" sound pretty fired up... Should see a few sprints to finish

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
10 Sep 2014 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Yep the weather is looking pretty good for this, I've "hooked" up with the City Beach Rum Rhumb Drum Liners.

I'm hooked on a feeling.....

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
10 Sep 2014 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Go The Pirates

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
10 Sep 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Rumour has it Basha is paddling this one!! Its been a while you might see a bit of black smoke on the track as i clean out the pipes . I'll be on my guard for the Pirates my paddleboards not big enough for a boarding party!!!

mocka
WA, 40 posts
11 Sep 2014 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

It is shaping up to be a great day on Sunday lots of familiar faces, some new faces and some we haven't seen for awhile.
Bit of banter and trash talk between the newly formed Pods has got me thinking should we start the races with a canon shot across the bows,
lay out the drum lines across the start line or maybe the waving of the lightsabre (YoDev)?

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
11 Sep 2014 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Ye look out for a clap of thunder before the races, then we mount our clippers in search of the coffers

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
11 Sep 2014 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

I see there is a defection from the Pirates to the City Beach Dumbliners.
We may get to see someone run through with a paddle.
Unfortunately Sups dont have keels.

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
11 Sep 2014 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

See you Sunday Pirates
ps DJ wink, wink

stimo
WA, 874 posts
11 Sep 2014 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Could this be the board that takes out a pirate

Or could it be just a wet drum liner if you haven't heard they have Pulled the drum line in WA just today so we may need a new name

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
11 Sep 2014 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

I

Select to expand quote
Maxeeboy said..
See you Sunday Pirates
ps DJ wink, wink

I wanna Draft a Pirate if they look like this..

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
11 Sep 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Forecast for Sunday 14 September
Winds: Southeasterly 10 to 15 knots turning east to northeasterly below 10
knots during the morning then tending south to southwesterly 10 to 15 knots
during the afternoon. Seas: Around 1 metre. Swell: West to southwesterly 2.5 to
4 metres, decreasing to 2 to 3 metres during the morning.

Have fun boys :)

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
12 Sep 2014 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Beware Stimo

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
14 Sep 2014 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Good luck to all competitors today in the DC SUP5000.
Glorious conditions for September. We moved the event little earlier in the season from last year to swap with the bridge the bank - so a few people might be 'under done' in terms of prep.
Great to hear the pod banter, remember it's all about fun in the end.

Go Freo!

stimo
WA, 874 posts
14 Sep 2014 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Think Freo pod did quite well but the junior pod smashed it well done guys and girls some photos to come

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
15 Sep 2014 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Winners are grinners, Cristiana Chessa, 2014 Female Open 14' division.
more pics to come.
Nice shot Michele Jenkins
awesome day & event

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
15 Sep 2014 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

The 2014 Dale Chapman SUP5000 couldn’t have asked for better conditions. A gentle breeze across the course and 40+ paddlers ready to take on the unique format.

The SUP5000 is made up of 4 separate distances – 2000m, 1500m, 1000m and 500m (totally 5000m). Paddlers race in divisions and their final places are added to get an overall total – the lowest score wins. There is a shorter option – SUP3000 (1500m, 1000m and 500m). It is a fun format, as you get an opportunity to warm down after each race and have a chat with your fellow paddlers – this was certainly the case yesterday, where many paddlers commented how great the atmosphere and general vibe was. Those that wanted to race hard could, but those that were happy for a challenge and nice day on the water, were well catered for.

Results:
Junior Male – Ben Paganin
Junior Female -
1. Tahlia DeLuica
2. Annie Smith
3. Demi Mauricio

Male Open 12’6
1. Jun Hao Lo
2. Jackson Shaw
3. Kent Wright

Male O/50 14’– Chris Le Messurier
Male O/40 14’
1. Joe Fry
2. Luke Jenkins
3. Vance Byran

Male U/40 14’
1. Drew Malcolm
2. Jack Howe
3. Gareth Hodges

Female Open 14’
1. Cristiana Chessa
2. Nicki Jones
3. Carole Longdon
Male Open 14’
1. Will Lee
2. Michael Hastie
3. Wes Fry
It was fantastic to see so many juniors, which was a credit to Joe Fry and Luke Jenkins (with support from Wes Stansfield and Ian Grose). The Youth Development Sub Committee are putting in significant effort into expanding junior competitions and this will be a feature of most SUPWA events in 2014-15. It would be great to see a few of the pods create a Youth development arm – juniors are a future and they need support in the early days – coaching, training, boards, etc. The guys and girls performed very well, with Tahlia in particular showing the benefit of SUP resources in her family. Well done to all the juniors that raced.

The 12’6 division – usually not subscribed to, was a great contest. New comer Jun showed the field a clean sweep, but not without being pushed by Jacko and Kent.

The Open division had some of the best paddlers in the state looking to get an idea where their winter training had left them. Will Lee stamped his authority on the short distances yet again, but Michael Hastie and Wes Fry demonstrated they had improved over the winter break. The Under 40 division saw Drew Malcolm clean sweep the division over Jack Howe and new comer Gareth Hodges.

The O/40 division was taken out by a driven Joe Fry and the O/50 male division was unfortunately fully subscribed, but that didn’t stop Chris Le Messurier enjoying himself and providing his own atmsphere – with his permanent smile!

The ladies division was closely contested, as we have come to expect from the end of last season. Cristiana and Nicki were battling it out for first position, with Cristiana walking away with 3 wins and Nicki taking out the last race. Carole and Anne put in a solid effort.

Great to hear that there were so many new faces and great performances. Dale Chapman is a big supporter of SUP in WA, through his WA contact – Gordon Stimson. DC puts up the $1200 board voucher for a custom made surf or race board. This year, new comer Gareth Hodges had his number drawn from the bag – well done Gareth, get something fast ordered in time for the King of the Cut! Special thanks to Jeremy Pye from ACE Cinemas for donating the film vouchers (and to Wes Stansfield for organising). Extra special thanks to Steve McCullough, Gordon McKearcher and Michele Jenkins for running a fantastic event.

The Final scores for the Pod Ladder were:
Fremantle – 28
Pirates – 12
City Beach Drum Liners – 6
Fremantle YoDev – 21
Bunbury Baymasters - 0

There was a little confusion last week on how to nominate for a pod. The online entry system has been corrected now. Pod nomination is purely optional – select a pod you wish to race for or none at all. Where the division has 5 or more paddlers – first gets 5 points, 2nd gets 4, etc down to 5th. Where there are only 3 paddlers – 1st gets 3 points, 2nd gets 2, etc. Where there is only one paddler = 1 point. Paddling with a Pod is a fun way to train and the Pod ladder brings a little extra fun to the season. If you are interested in form ing a Pod email - president@supwa.com.au

WA Surf
WA, 334 posts
16 Sep 2014 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Another fun sunday SUP event. Thanks SUPWA

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
17 Sep 2014 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

A few photos care of John Day.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
17 Sep 2014 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

Correction - Grant Hymus won the DC board voucher. Ex- State Hockey Goalie, now fired up for a new purchase care of Dale Chapman!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Has Grant put an order in yet Stimo?

stimo
WA, 874 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Goochi said..
Has Grant put an order in yet Stimo?

He has all types of surf craft said maybe a family board or finless surf board I will get some photos up this weekend

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The Dale Chapman SUP5000 - Sunday 14th September" started by Goochi