Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Upgrading from a 10'2 jp fusion ast

Created by Nugdam > 9 months ago, 12 Dec 2016
Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
12 Dec 2016 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all.

I'm pretty confident on my first sup board the jp fusion. I can catch waves easily enough and direct myself on the wave where I'd like to go.

I find the board really easy to stand on a little sluggish on the take off and a bit of a tank on the wave. I'm 95kg and around 6 foot 2 tall. I'm wondering what to look at for upgrading? Would a 9 foot something be all that different? Or something slightly narrower? From what I can see the fusion is around 172l

Fanatic all wave do a 9 foot 159l

The fusion being ast I find chips really easily. Would a epoxy or another finish be more durable?

What are some boards you bigger blokes are using?

Piros
QLD, 6992 posts
13 Dec 2016 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

The JP 9-2 x 30.5 x 139 litres is still a lot of board worth a look. AST is the base range you can get them in wood & pro. Simon at Deep could also build a custom to suit. Also check out the Sunova 9-2 speed that would suit really well plus they have the toughest epoxy boards on the market. The Fanatic All Waves are worth a look as well.

You will notice a huge difference dropping down from your 10-2 to 9-0 something board. You will be frothing

Dazza65
QLD, 389 posts
13 Dec 2016 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

I am upgrading from my 10'2 fusion as well. Looking at more of a longboard style SUP around the 10'0 mark, I see most are around the 110-130l volume mark so maybe a challenge with my 98kg frame but pretty confident will be OK.

BluePlanetAus
NSW, 33 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Dec 2016 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

If you're going to go smaller you're going to find it more sluggish or really unstable (and hence also sluggis). There is no one shape that does everything but if you want speed and manoeuvrability and stability Blue Planet Bump Surfer is pretty good. www.blueplanetsup.com.au.

Heaps of videos on most models here including SUP Surfing at Torquay on these bigger boards

This is also a great source of information on how to improve your SUPing

Models that I would also recommend from our range are the booster model 10'4 - we have heaps of guys riding good waves on this board and doing some real performance Surfing or the 9'10 turbo which is on the smaller side but will give you a little bit more manoeuvrability but a bit less speed into the wave

DiscoStupid
NSW, 90 posts
13 Dec 2016 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Moving down to something nearer 9' and a bit narrower will be a big difference, but in a good way. It will take a number of sessions to get used to it, but you'll be glad you made the move and ditched the sluggish/tank feeling. As Piros suggested, a JP 9'2 surf would be spot on. AllWaves are great and certainly have their place, but the JP surfs a whole lot better. Given your height/ weight, something 130l ish is definitely doable.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
13 Dec 2016 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

You might also consider a 9'2 or even 9'5 Sunova Speeed. The 8'10 would fit the specs but it really only works for me on clean days in bigger surf. I have been using a 10'6 for those other days but am going to get the 9'5 Speeed for my everyday board. I had the Fusions, all of them at various times. Great boards but yup the JPs chip and are really hard to repair.

And just to pull away from bias you might also consider the Staboard Whopper. Personally I have never like them but many others do.

Dazza - if you are considering a longboard style sup i would think 10'6 rather than 10'0. At our weight the 10'0 is hard work on those litres, you loose drive and glide and you may as well be a on a short board. The Sunova 10'6 is good as is the Naish Nalu 10'6 but personally I would get the wood version in this. I am more coming to the Fanatic 10'0 Stylemaster but at 135 litres it would not be my everyday board. So just depends on what you are looking for.

Hope this helps

Warnsey
NSW, 83 posts
13 Dec 2016 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hello,

I was just in the exact same position as you, except I had an 11' Naish Nalu. Sounds like the same kind of skill level (if you can call it that) and I am 6'2 and 95kg.

I have gone for a Sunova Speed 9'5. My logic; still a decent volume for my weight, shorter and lighter and it is supposed to turn and catch waves well. I am sure I could have gone shorter, but it just gives me an excuse to get another board down the track.

Good luck

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
13 Dec 2016 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will hit up my local dealers for a demo off a few boards and see how I go. What literage do you think would be suitable? Most the surfing is done at happy valley, cotton tree or rainbowbeach. So anywhere from 2 - 4 foot.

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
13 Dec 2016 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Accidentally double posted. Couldn't delete.

Langers
VIC, 75 posts
13 Dec 2016 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Similar situation to me also . I went with a sunova style 10xl . Still ok to paddle around as a cruiser but surfs well . Im 90kgs . Aiming for more long board style of surfing. Have fun .

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
17 Dec 2016 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

What are people's thoughts on the 9 x32 fanatic allwave in the pure finish. Its still a 159l board but alot shorter. Not sure how the 159l will go not much of a drop in literage but 1.2 feet shorter.

paul.j
QLD, 3338 posts
17 Dec 2016 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

If you want more profomance then think a bit sexyer rails!!
Board sits a little deeper helps with stability and allows you to ride a little lower volume. IMO anyway. Boxy rails suck.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Upgrading from a 10'2 jp fusion ast" started by Nugdam