Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

YOB Australia Collie Bridge 5500 and YOB Australia

Created by Ulesys > 9 months ago, 21 Mar 2014
Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
21 Mar 2014 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

A SUP event designed to encompass all classes of Board and all levels of fitness. This an official SUPWA event run as apart of their SUP5000 franchise

4 races consisting of;
2500m loop (race boards - surf optional)
1500m loop
1000m straight sprint
500m sprint
Points are accrued depending on position in each leg, the one with the least is the winner. Surf competitors are encouraged to enter the 2500m for the full distance. There is a rest period between each distance.

Entry classess are;
Female Open
Male Open 14'
Male Open 12'6
Male O/50
Male O/40
Male surf
Female Surf

Reg 0815 Briefing 0845 First Wave 0900. 3 waves with 20 spots available. Prize pool of over $1000 with a major prize draw for all competitors for YOB Australia. YOB Australia will also be provided some hire boards for competing on the day as well a demo fleet for anyone interested in trying out a SUP.
This is the first Marquee event for SUPWA to be held outside of Perth.
Stay tuned for more details as the event draws closer.

*This event qualifies as a grudge settler from the Black Blade, kudos from this event are transferable

Bender
WA, 2221 posts
21 Mar 2014 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like fun. I've just bought a 12'6" so I'm keen. Nice to have an event down here

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
22 Mar 2014 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

with your a sup in your waterman credentials your fast becoming the Laird Hamilton of Bunbury Bender

Bender
WA, 2221 posts
22 Mar 2014 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ulesys said..

with your a sup in your waterman credentials your fast becoming the Laird Hamilton of Bunbury Bender

Geez don't know bout that

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
23 Mar 2014 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Fact #1. The Collie Bridge 5500 is not actually in Collie, it's in Eaton just north of Bunbury. Like most people from Collie, the river moved down the hill and settled in Eaton to take advantage of coastal living and better access to services in the mid 90's. *not taken from wikipedia

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
23 Mar 2014 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

The entry portal is now up at tidy club. Free entry for SUPWA members and $12 for non members. The surf class is catered for with prizes for contested fields so no excuses no to have a go. This is now the perfect lead in event for the Black Blade the following weekend. Come on down, support regional sport and support SUPWA in securing some great aquatic amphitheatres to compete in.

https://supwa.tidyclub.com/public/events/607-yob-australia-collie-bridge-sup5500
www.facebook.com/events/1402227973375251/

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
25 Mar 2014 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

Course map for the event showing the different segments. The 2500m & 1500m are looped around Alexander Island, and with a couple hundred metres to the hole shot, starts and kick turns are going to come into play for the points grab.

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
27 Mar 2014 6:15AM
Thumbs Up

Pretty simple, head south down Forrest hwy and turn off on Old Coast Rd till you get to Pratt Rd, on the south side of the bridge. Roughly 1 1/2 hour drive from Perth to the river. Distance is no excuse, one Barry Manilow record and a little bit of Macca on a Sunday and you will be there in no time. Keep your entries coming into the tidyclub portal, as we get confirmation of our numbers we will try and get a coffee van on site for those who event prep Alex Watson style.

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
28 Mar 2014 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

This venue has been mooted as a possible site for future flatwater championship events. We think it's got the goods, but the only way to prove is to get 30+ paddlers on the water sell it to the masses. Back SUPWA and back YOB Australia in trying to secure primo regional spots for us to play and compete in, no paddle sport has yet succeeded in calling the Collie River home

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
31 Mar 2014 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

With 8 turns in the first 2 events, and 200 metres to the holeshot"", this version of the SUP5000 brings elements of tech racing to the flat water domain. Starts and turns will play as much apart as engine power.

https://supwa.tidyclub.com/public/events/607-yob-australia-collie-bridge-sup5500
www.facebook.com/events/1402227973375251/

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
1 Apr 2014 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

To work in better with the triathlon at the same venue being on, we are moving the start times back 30 minutes to allow us uninhibited access to the launch beach, so rego is now 0830, briefing 0915 race start 0930. An extra half hour to sleep in and/or more time for a maccas coffee. Also several people have enquired about juniors competing, so for every junior competing regardless of the distances completed, they will receive a prised Freddo Frog as well a prise from YOB Australia. Another great example of the adaptability of the SUP5000 franchise.

YOB Australia are also keen to host a post event bbq, so keep those event rego's rolling in to ascertain they have enough snags and buns for every one

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
1 Apr 2014 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Goodo gives us an extra 30 minutes to find a decent coffee on the trip down.

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
2 Apr 2014 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ulesys said..

With 8 turns in the first 2 events, /

Which direction are these 2 events run, clockwise or anti clockwise?

Sounds like a fun event and it will be nice to get out of Perth for a change, hope to see most of the regulars plus meet some new crew.

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
2 Apr 2014 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Clockwise is how the two loops will be run.

Cricri
WA, 5 posts
2 Apr 2014 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ulesys said..

Clockwise is how the two loops will be run.

are you goofy Ulesys???

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
2 Apr 2014 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

We can alternate direction of the loops - it is a SUP5000 franchise event after all, just one loop will have a 500m lead out to the first turn

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
4 Apr 2014 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone that has any kids that want to participate, can you let Damian know by 1200 Saturday. We'll call it 16/under, no entry charge and compete in any or as many legs as they feel fit. It's more to let YOB know how many are coming so they can bring down some prizes. Flat water and reasonably shallow all the way.Also anyone keen for a demo board, to avoid any waiting also Email bunburysup@tpg.com.au

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
5 Apr 2014 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

For anyone racing tomorrow, the officially sanctioned SUPWA fist pump technique for crossing the line.

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
5 Apr 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Just over 30 entries at 1200 today for the event tomorrow. and conditions are looking fantastic for the mornings racing. We are sharing the venue with the Bunbury Tri Club, with their junior swim finishing before we hit the water. Anyone warming up just be considerate of the juniors off the beach, there will be plenty of marshal's around to keep an eye out.
With parking at a premium, there will be a drop off zone reserved, primarily for trailers or cars with multiple boards to get in and out, although at worst the walk will be no further than to the start of the paddle loop.
Drive safe all those coming down and looking forward to a great event

Damo

stimo
WA, 874 posts
5 Apr 2014 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Two things warm up what's that and I thought there was a massive park there from one of those photos you put up is that were we park ?
Were do you think we will put boards down and were will the eski be

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
5 Apr 2014 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

The Cott council would charge less to park your fourbie at the beach than the Dardy shire for you to park on their grass.

You'd love our Friday evening skills session, not nailing race turns can risk getting hit with a stubbie from the coaches jetty

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
5 Apr 2014 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Great work Damian - everything looks in place for a great day. Big welcome to SUPWA to the Bunbury Pod and race organizers. SUPWA is very proud to be associated with this event.
Have fun everyone and good luck!

Cheers
Greg

Gosup
WA, 72 posts
6 Apr 2014 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

So we're in the car on the way back from the inaugural "Collie Bridge 5500" and someone says... I'm surprised there weren't more people from Perth paddling today? All agreed and the conversation continued to cover the stunning venue, all the helpers, YOB's generous sponsorship, the perfect conditions and how well the event was run in general!

I'm not sure of exact overall numbers but I can assure you the competion was alive and well at the pointy end of all heats, and for any who thought about attending but didn't make it, next year I can definitely recommend giving the CB 5500 serious consideration! I'm fairly certain that the Bunbury locals had a healthy taste for what SUP racing has to offer... so local competition is bound to heat up!

Special thanks to Greg Kerr and the SUPWA committee for assisting the Bunners crew to put together such a great format and after attending the National titles in Adelaide last weekend, I can honestly say attending this event was like having dejavu (minus a few rock stars of course ;-) but I guess you just had be there!?

Cheers

Gosup!

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
6 Apr 2014 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Yep great day, the water temp wasn't to bad either

I'll be back

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
7 Apr 2014 7:04AM
Thumbs Up

Highlight of the day was tighlines (the first ever on the Collie River) wake ride down the river with some puzzled boaties on a YOB Bathurst. He made it look so easy I am pretty sure he would have folded out his chair and read the paper whilst getting dragged up to Australind.

buccaneer
WA, 60 posts
7 Apr 2014 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations to Lach & Sal Simpson of YOB Australia.
Kudos to them, Damian and the Bunbury SUP crew for putting on a brilliant event!!
Awesome regional venue perfectly suited to flat water racing and spectating.
Great racing tussles were had across all the divisions.
The local crew displayed prodigious paddling talent and have put the 'city SUP'ers' on notice...
...keep training and be on your game next year if you want to share in some fantastic YOB Australia prizes.
I'd recommend this event to all paddlers of all levels that want to experience the SUP racing stoke!!
Outstanding!!
DJ

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
7 Apr 2014 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Pretty much concur with what Gosup has said above....great location, flat as a pancake water & great crew to race with.

Thanks to the local SUP'ers for the invite & putting on a great event, thanks as always to SUPWA for putting the processes & arrangements in place, and thanks to Lach & Sal from Yob Australia for the event sponsorship (a semi-melted Freddo frog will never taste the same again)....

For the Perth racing crew who couldn't make it, there are miles & miles of flat water down around Bunbury, up for racing, or just a discovery paddle up the river. The Bunbury crew are spoilt rotten....

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
7 Apr 2014 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ulesys said..

Highlight of the day was tighlines (the first ever on the Collie River) wake ride down the river with some puzzled boaties on a YOB Bathurst. He made it look so easy I am pretty sure he would have folded out his chair and read the paper whilst getting dragged up to Australind.

Ha ha yeah great fun and a great spot for it, it felt like I could have kept going forever but I was aware that I was going with the wind and had to paddle back.

That was my first paddle on a YOB and it was actually the 12'6 (x 28 I think) Armstrong, I was amazed how easy it got onto the wake and how easy it was to control.
I have tried wake riding before with some narrower 14' race boards and although they went all right, they were harder to control and stay in the right spot.

I was having a demo because I am thinking about a 12'6 with a bit of width to play around on in some of the waves we get near home that roll across the reef a km or 2 offshore and the YOB Armstrong is now a definite contender.

I'd also like to echo everyones thanks to the Bunbury crew, SUPWA and Lach and Sal (and family) from YOB for putting on a great day.

DaiSup
WA, 35 posts
7 Apr 2014 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Great day had by all. I'll be back next year too.

Saw some people taking photo's of the finishes from the end of the jetty...any of these gonna surface on here soon? Might be one of me about to throw up after the 1000m...

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
7 Apr 2014 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Results from Sundays YOB Australia CB5500;

Mens open;
Jackson Shaw
Luke Jenkins
Drew Malcolm
Dave Slater
Jack Howe
Andrew Cooksey
Darren Hope - Local first event
Dave Probet

Womens open;
Christianna Chessa
Nikki Jones
Sal Simpson
Anne Lockwood
Mel Hynynen - Local first event
Anne Worrell
Becky Jones
Felicity Kaye
Jen Kane
Melissa Repacholi

Men O/40;
Jace Burton
Nick Shiers - Local first event
Alex Campbell - Local first event
Ben De Chaneet - 12'6 - Local first event and 12'6 in a field of 14's
Glen Zammudio

Men O/50
Derek Jones
Gordon Mckercher
Kent Wright
Lach Simpson -

Men 12'6
Gordon Salvage
Juddy O'Malley
Les Somers - Local first event

Surf Men - Travis Edwards, legend, local and first event

Surf Women - Caris Pepper, first event and winner of YOB Australia Carbon Paddle prize draw, does it get better!!

Special thanks to all our volunteers on the day who sacrificed a day on the water to make it happen. Trent who donated his time and boat to reset each course, Verity and Simon for on the day admin and air horn work, and finally to the Simpson boys who proved child slave labour is alive and well for providing bbq support post race.

For the Black Blade, lets just say if there was a 200m event in the mix, the overall results may have been effected. The sprinters really started to show their faces in the 500m event.

To YOB Australia and SUPWA, your willingness to reach outside of the metro area has provided a template for regional events for the future, even outside of Western Australia. Massive kudos to both.

See you all next year,

Damo

p.s. after all the racing action, tightlines was still my personal highlight making those boaties day as he wake surfed their dingy wake down the river demoing that YOB board

Ulesys
WA, 135 posts
7 Apr 2014 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"YOB Australia Collie Bridge 5500 and YOB Australia" started by Ulesys