Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

nationals 2015

Created by stimo > 9 months ago, 18 Jun 2015
stimo
WA, 874 posts
18 Jun 2015 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

can any one confirm that the date has been brought back to october and if so any dates thanks

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
18 Jun 2015 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

Whaaaaaaat? I hope not, I've already booked accommodation for 19 November.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
18 Jun 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Seems that might be the case www.seabreeze.com.au/Members/Events/Event.aspx?id=9408058 but I still haven't heard anything more official than this.
I've been trying to lock in dates all year but as every day goes by it is getting less likely that I will be there , I had holidays booked months ago for mid October but cancelled them when it seemed they were moved to November.
not sure I can swing it now if and when we finally know.

I now wish I had just booked leave for my usual annual Indo trip but have missed that opportunity now as well.

All I know is the King of the Cut is on 5 December and I will def be there.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
18 Jun 2015 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Casso said..

hey casso i just booked curumbin sands on a rummor that it was back on in october o well might just come across any way it would suit the WA crew better in october with the King Of The CUT The Doctor The Dual plus several social races busy time in perth when its Blowing The Dog Off the chain
We are all off to Geraldton in september for a Pro AM for a test out for the nationals here some time soon Great surf and super strong DW runs
you would think surfing australia would be able to confirm soon not all of us are Plumbers who just go surfing all the time ha ha

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody plumbers!!! (And sparkys ;)

Radman
WA, 629 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

And pumping plumbing sparkys

tikipurple
SA, 132 posts
19 Jun 2015 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Casso said..
This is the most official thing that I've seen...

http://www.surfingaustralia.com/nsw/event.php?id=1407

Hey Casso, thanks for finding this.
I have sent surfing Australia 2 emails asking about dates and divisions and received nothing!
This is very helpful, but , can i assume that over 40 has a mens and womens division? same with over 50?
....and how many surfing positions are allocated per state? one for each division?
If anyone else can help me out i would really appreciate it , thanks.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
19 Jun 2015 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

purplebeanie said..

Casso said..

I have sent surfing Australia 2 emails asking about dates and divisions and received nothing!
This is very helpful, but , can i assume that over 40 has a mens and womens division? same with over 50?
....and how many surfing positions are allocated per state? one for each division?

Hey Purps,

There is no separate O40 Women's division in the surfing - it is mixed for the age divisions. There is a Women's division in the Open surfing though:

Surfing
- SUP Open Men
- SUP Open Women
- SUP Over 40 Mixed
- SUP Over 50 Mixed

There is an Over 40 Women's division in the Technical Race though but not in the Over 50 category:

Technical Race
- SUP Open Men (12’6)
?- SUP Open Women (12’6)
?- SUP Over 40 Men (12’6)
?- SUP Over 40 Women (12’6)
?- SUP Over 50 Mixed (12’6)

Same in the Marathon:

Marathon Race
- SUP Open Men (14’0)
- SUP Open Women (14’0)
- SUP Over 40 Men (14’0)
- SUP Over 40 Women (14’0)
- SUP Over 50 Mixed (14’0)

And here are the state allocations:

tikipurple
SA, 132 posts
19 Jun 2015 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Casso said..

purplebeanie said..

Casso said..

Hey Purps,

There is no separate O40 Women's division in the surfing - it is mixed for the age divisions. There is a Women's division in the Open surfing though:

Surfing
- SUP Open Men
- SUP Open Women
- SUP Over 40 Mixed
- SUP Over 50 Mixed

There is an Over 40 Women's division in the Technical Race though but not in the Over 50 category:

Technical Race
- SUP Open Men (12’6)
?- SUP Open Women (12’6)
?- SUP Over 40 Men (12’6)
?- SUP Over 40 Women (12’6)
?- SUP Over 50 Mixed (12’6)

Same in the Marathon:

Marathon Race
- SUP Open Men (14’0)
- SUP Open Women (14’0)
- SUP Over 40 Men (14’0)
- SUP Over 40 Women (14’0)
- SUP Over 50 Mixed (14’0)

And here are the state allocations:

So that means women over 40 have to surf against men over 40? Well ...you are in trouble then!...lol...

DirectX
WA, 240 posts
19 Jun 2015 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stimo said..

Casso said..

hey casso i just booked curumbin sands on a rummor that it was back on in october o well might just come across any way it would suit the WA crew better in october with the King Of The CUT The Doctor The Dual plus several social races busy time in perth when its Blowing The Dog Off the chain
We are all off to Geraldton in september for a Pro AM for a test out for the nationals here some time soon Great surf and super strong DW runs
you would think surfing australia would be able to confirm soon not all of us are Plumbers who just go surfing all the time ha ha

Whats the go with the Batavia SUP contest in Gerro Stimmo? I cant find much about it except that its on a Thursday and Friday???? That will surely make is a bit hard for some to come up...

Rob

Piros
QLD, 6996 posts
19 Jun 2015 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Purple Beanie said:- So that means women over 40 have to surf against men over 40? Well ...you are in trouble then!...lol...

Judging by your last Video PB I think you will rattle a few of the boys cages......

stimo
WA, 874 posts
19 Jun 2015 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DirectX said..

stimo said..

Casso said..

Whats the go with the Batavia SUP contest in Gerro Stimmo? I cant find much about it except that its on a Thursday and Friday???? That will surely make is a bit hard for some to come up...

Rob

hey Rob i think around september i will be going for a week Ran man and i have a Pump confrence on around then up there

Radman
WA, 629 posts
20 Jun 2015 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

September first or second week was advertised in locAl paper

stimo
WA, 874 posts
21 Jun 2015 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Radman said..
September first or second week was advertised in locAl paper

thats the gero pro were do you think the bop may be also and should i book now to stay at the Sherton on the beach
have heard surfing australia may announce nationals this week my moneys on back in early October

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
21 Jun 2015 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

I can confirm the date for the Nationals has changed. State SUP organisations have been made aware of this, we are waiting on Surfing Australia to officially announce it - which was meant to be last week, so should definitely be this week

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
25 Jun 2015 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

UNOFFICIALLY

11 - 15 October

And yes, Its Midweek

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
25 Jun 2015 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Stand up world series Finals, oct 15th - 18th

Lets hope they realize this before setting dates in place.

If they make it 11th - 15th my guess is there will be a few aussies that wont make the aussie titles again this year :(

Its already hard enough that the QLD titles are on 2 days after getting home from Hood River Gorge Races. If they clash the aussies with suws finals then won't make any sense in even doing qld titles again.

Seems such a shame they cant work it out, hopefully they can.

X angie

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
25 Jun 2015 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

I was told that the date had changed to October even though Surfing NSW have sent us the original dates. I was told the decision had been made and it was being announced last week. I still haven't heard. As Stimo said I believe the decision was made so that more of the WA guys could attend as the original date conflicted with many of the big WA downwind events. Makes sense considering it's Nationals, however, as people need to book leave and accommodation it would be nice to get official notification soon.

I'll chase up with AUSup and Surfing Australia.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
25 Jun 2015 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petedorries said...
UNOFFICIALLY

11 - 15 October

And yes, Its Midweek

Wow they are muppets aren't they.. Looks like they won't bother with the community races this year then as everyone would be at work besides the people who make the state teams..

Also Ange sad that they can't accomodate a weekend that is outside of the international circuit considering you professional bunch are the ones who the Aussie titles is really about - to decide who is the quickest in the country.

Don't worry about missing the QLD state titles they have ignored all good advice about where to have it in Brisbane and will be having it in a poor location with a poor course, by the sounds of things they weren't even interested in the options that were given to them.

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
25 Jun 2015 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
angie pangi said..
Stand up world series Finals, oct 15th - 18th

Lets hope they realize this before setting dates in place.

yes they have. they have even spoken to the world Series organizer. This way people can get on a plane Thursday night and recover after the marathon.
Now doesn't that make sense.

and AndyR Yes unfortunately the community races may be low in numbers...

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
25 Jun 2015 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said..
I was told that the date had changed to October even though Surfing NSW have sent us the original dates. I was told the decision had been made and it was being announced last week. I still haven't heard. As Stimo said I believe the decision was made so that more of the WA guys could attend as the original date conflicted with many of the big WA downwind events. Makes sense considering it's Nationals, however, as people need to book leave and accommodation it would be nice to get official notification soon.

It wasn't just the WA crew but the Victorians and South Australians weren't too excited about going in November either.

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
25 Jun 2015 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

My Understanding is the marathon will be held on Sunday the 11th this will allow maximum participation, I also believe that the dates were changed to allow maximum participation from all states as our research indicated that many states would struggle to send a team around the original dates. All states branches are liable for paying their allocations that are not filled to Surfing Australia which would mean that many state branches would be out of pocket. I guess the major issue we have is that SUP is becoming so popular around the globe and alot of events dates are starting to conflict, both pro and amateur. Surfing Australia has held many forums with state associations (during the nationals) to try and work out the best dates that offer the best conditions. (at the end of the day event organisers should set dates that offer the best possible conditions for that location and the SUP dicipline to be participated in) , its hard to try and have an event that offers the best conditions for BOP, SUP Surfing and Racing, throw some pro and amateurs in the mix and it starts to get even harder to keep everyone happy. I strongly believe that setting dates for the chance of participants to compete in the best possible conditions for the disciplines on offer is the priority.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
26 Jun 2015 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear about the marathon being a Sunday.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
27 Jun 2015 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surf4fun said..

NNSUP said..

It wasn't just the WA crew but the Victorians and South Australians weren't too excited about going in November either.

The NSW crew weren't excited about November either as many of us want to do the WA events also.

Sharper
QLD, 82 posts
28 Jun 2015 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Spring really is a dreadful time for surfing on the Goldy ... northerly chop after northerly chop ... they could host an event at Currumbin pretty much any other time of year and have great waves and a good chance of a south easter for the downwind crew... go figure.

Al Hunter
NSW, 367 posts
30 Jun 2015 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

So I got (as I guess everyone else ) an email to tell me the new dates of Australian title
Surfing and racing from 12 th to 15th of October
Technical and surfing from 12th to 14th Monday to wednesday and long distance the 15th on thursday
I hope everyone can take the week off!!!
No windows for the long distance so I am not sure anybody is learning something from the previous years really
If it ends up being the popular race that it should be to showcase our sport we'll be lucky I guess...

stimo
WA, 874 posts
30 Jun 2015 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al Hunter said..
So I got (as I guess everyone else ) an email to tell me the new dates of Australian title
Surfing and racing from 12 th to 15th of October
Technical and surfing from 12th to 14th Monday to wednesday and long distance the 15th on thursday
I hope everyone can take the week off!!!
No windows for the long distance so I am not sure anybody is learning something from the previous years really
If it ends up being the popular race that it should be to showcase our sport we'll be lucky I guess...

thanks Al nothing from wa surfing yet i have booked all good did DC tell you i beat him in the bop on the weekend ha ha could have had something to do with the big night the wa boys put on for him but iam going to get some mileage out of it

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
3 Jul 2015 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

For what its worth ...here's my two cents.
Why is it that the national administration...Surfing Australia, is turning itself inside out to accommodate a discipline that in reality shares more commonality with canoeing.
Those of us who are passionate about the surfing side of the sport have been expressing our displeasure at the National Titles for surf SUP, being held at a time and place that affords very limited opportunity for a showcase of the countries best, long and loud. However a bunch of gear heads with conflicting dates kick up a stink and low and behold....
Just what is it that drives our governing body...Olympic glory, or a genuine desire to service the needs of its charter members...surfers
For the record. I have no animosity toward those who paddle distance, downwind or tour. But unless we are talking surfing or technical racing eg BOP style in the surf, there is absolutely no reason why Surfing Australia should be involved. In fact the sooner the flat water disciplines are removed from the equation, the sooner we will see whether the governing body has our best interests at heart or is simply tolerating us because of the associated benefits.
If the answer is as I suspect, we as Paddle Boarders and Surfers need to take a long hard look at which organisations truly have our best interests at heart and can further the needs of our unique and diverse sport/lifestyle/art form.
Cheers
Sparx

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
4 Jul 2015 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

Sparx, I reckon you're being a little harsh on canoeing. I bet they could run an excellent surf comp.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
4 Jul 2015 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

Ok a couple of facts here:
1. The Nationals were initially slated for October of this year, as they were last year. The international calendar is very full as is the national surfing calendar, so Surfing Australia has worked pretty hard to find a date that suits.
2. The SUP forum held in QLD 2 years ago recommended that the Ntaionals should be held earlier in the season, rather than later (closer to Christmas) for best participation and better conditions for surfing.
3. A handful of international riders and an international event co-ordinator approached Surfing Asutralia to move the Nationals (in October) because it clashed with their event. SA suddenly moved the event to November.
4. The feedback from the SUP forum was pointed out to SA and also the fact that a number of states would struggle to make the Nationals at that time of year and SA took onboard that "significant" amount of feedback to move the Nationals back to close to the original dates (abeit allowing for the international event)

SA do a fantastic job running the Nationals. The October date, certainly didn't cater for the marathon paddlers last year and a week either side of the Nationals ended out being fantastic surfing conditions. There is no conspiracy against surfing over marathon, in fact the greatest consideration is being given to optimal surfing conditions (as far as I'm aware). The Nationals in WA next year are working to exactly that goal. A marathon (as last year proved) can be held in any conditions - tail wind, head wind and the best paddlers will still rise to the top.

Everyone has figured out by now, the Nationals will crown the best marathon paddler in the country. If you love downwinding - you'll go to one of the numerous DW events around the country - 12 Towers, KotC, etc.
The Nationals should be and to my knowledge are, all about getting the best SUP surfing conditions held at a time of year for the best participation. SA are the best people to achieve this - and frankly, they do a bloody good job.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
4 Jul 2015 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Best nationals I have been to for surfing (not that I competed) were the ones held in Port Macquarie 3 years ago. Also happened to be the best DW conditions we have had for the distance race and yes I know it isn't necessarily a DW race but a marathon and we also had pretty good conotions for the BOP race. Pretty sure these were in early-mid August as part of the Surfing Festival.

In my opinion different conditions are ideal for the different disciplines so why not have them at different times of the year? I uneserstand everyone's calendars are pretty full but to truely showcase the different disciplines to their full potential without one or all getting sub par conditions and being sacrificed, which I feel the surfing has been in the last couple of years, I don't see too many options.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"nationals 2015" started by stimo