Miller SUBX

Created by unclethirsty > 9 months ago, 13 May 2014
laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
10 Jun 2014 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said...
vanders if its red white and black I can guarantee I'll find a buyer if you ever want to sell it.

section 6, paragraph 3 from his mctavish riders contract forbids mac for even thinking about riding another board. mac ,the mct police have been informed about your green room insubordination and evidence is being collected as we speak. oh and a word of advice- simondo is not your friend, say no more

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
10 Jun 2014 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Shattering news. sorry stole that from 666 room

unclethirsty
382 posts
17 Jun 2014 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Subx as a quad... Had it setup with PC 7's large glass flex fins. Was in for about 2 1/2 hrs in 2-4 ft fairly glassy beach break with 3 - 5 other guys out, so its a cool mellow session just seeing how this baby goes. Well IT GOES I love this board, paddle is easy, early into waves, takeoff is stable. Fist wave.. takeoff, forehand, turn off the bottom ,oh that's loose, drive down the line couple of pumps, turn it harder off the bottom hit the lip down with the foam ..yeeha I'm back. Cutbacks, could only get a few in as it more get up & get going kinda surf, but the ones I got in felt smooth & easy. Hit the foamball one one brought it back around, havn't done that for a while.
Rest of the session went much like that only variation was me getting my foot placements right, that'll come with more surfs. It did feel a bit twitchy but that was due to me having the fins set too far forward in the boxes, finz boxes. I'll put my Simon Large glass fins in next time & push 'em back.Grant should have called this the "wayback", 'cause this board really does feel like a short board to me (62yo) & has turned back time for me. I'm sitting here typing this with sore calves due to the stuff I was doing today that I havn't done for quite a while. This really does feel like a board that will be good in a lot of different surf.

surfbroker
NSW, 1488 posts
17 Jun 2014 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds a good board UT.......got some decent fins in my Waterskate which I hope this old fart (+2 on you) can enjoy tomorrow.

Old is a state of...health ..use it ...or lose it

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
17 Jun 2014 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Stoked to hear your loving the new board ut.... So what fin setup is your favourite?

unclethirsty
382 posts
17 Jun 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Surfbroker so right about move it or loose it, hopefully I'll (us older guys) just keep using it although a bit slower each year..lol

Chrispy..jees after today I'd say as a quad..but when I switch it back to a 2+1 I'll probably say that setup, ha. It'll be interesting to get in to a variety of surfs over say next couple of months & see what i think then. I didn't say it above but as a 2+1 it felt I should surf it more smooth/fluid style, but as a quad I got that shortboard throw it around feel. Really was 2 different styles/ways to surf this board, but I knew that i could throw it around as a 2+1 if I wanted/needed to. Maybe old muscle memory from single fin days in the 70"s, who knows, I was just having fun.

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
24 Jun 2014 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Call from Mr Miller today advising board has been shaped & just wanted to confirm spray & deck patch.

Count down is on!!!!

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
24 Jun 2014 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vanders1 said...
Call from Mr Miller today advising board has been shaped & just wanted to confirm spray & deck patch.

Count down is on!!!!

Vanders I hope you went for the boring red white and black colour ways

I've waited 7 weeks for my blank to arrive thanks burfords hows Lacey's 8 foot mini mal coming alongLacey

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
24 Jun 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said...

vanders1 said...

Count down is on!!!!

hows Lacey's 8 foot mini mal coming alongLacey

Was being hand finished today, ready for glassing on Thursday.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
24 Jun 2014 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

How's my blank.coming along vanders?

b3lly
NSW, 2 posts
29 Jun 2014 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

stumbled on this thread. thought I'd add my 66. been riding this for 9 months. catches anything.

AndyrooMac
TAS, 1925 posts
29 Jun 2014 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Very nice, love the commitment to single fin only, mine'll be a tri but 90% sure I'll only surf it as a single... Can't wait

surfbroker
NSW, 1488 posts
30 Jun 2014 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hmm...welcome b3..got me thinking....a box in my Waterskate

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
30 Jun 2014 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Welcome to the Greenroom B3illy - nice looking stick - what are the dims of that one? How does it go in decent sized surf? What sort of wave range do you surf it in?

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
30 Jun 2014 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said...
Welcome to the Greenroom B3illy - nice looking stick - what are the dims of that one? How does it go in decent sized surf? What sort of wave range do you surf it in?

You just asked all my questions on it ted....mine gets glassed today,was almost tempted to have a sickie to see it and smell the resin

AndyrooMac
TAS, 1925 posts
30 Jun 2014 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Jealous Chrisp, very very jealous... just sent an email, i think mines still about 3 weeks away...

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
30 Jun 2014 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for chiming in B3lly, seems to be a common comment "catches anything" with these boards, I'm guessing it paddles ok too?
Mine should only be 1.5 - 2 weeks away now and can't wait to try it, there'll be some laughs as gumby tries to ride something so short.

b3lly
NSW, 2 posts
30 Jun 2014 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

its a 6'6 x 22 1/4 x 2 3/4 and I got it to compete with the mals on the small and fat days on the beachies. Works a treat. Also goes great on points. I caught heaps of waves over summer that I just wouldn't have got otherwise. I tend to go to my vskate when the conditions improve but on the few days I've had it in decent waves it flies. I don't think wave size would be a problem. Just doesn't turn like a thruster thats all. Oh and the flat rocker catches me out occasionally when I get lazy - which leads to comedy for everyone else.

Highly recommend the board though.

I went the single for something different. (and I really like the look of the single box).

And vanders I wouldn't worry about it being short - I find it super stable on take off.

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
1 Jul 2014 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Thanks for the feedback B3lly

McHenry
SA, 1739 posts
1 Jul 2014 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to seeing Vanders new stick yyyeewww.

I just love the look of this board.

McHenry
SA, 1739 posts
9 Jul 2014 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Grant Miller has an article in the latest episode of Pacific Longboarder on the topic of volume. Very interesting read.

Anyways I emailed Grant to tell him I enjoyed his article and was chatting about the SUBX and he told me Vanders new stick will be ready to rock next week.

Must be stoked!!

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
9 Jul 2014 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
said..
Grant Miller has an article in the latest episode of Pacific Longboarder on the topic of volume. Very interesting read.

Anyways I emailed Grant to tell him I enjoyed his article and was chatting about the SUBX and he told me Vanders new stick will be ready to rock next week.

Must be stoked!!

Thanks McHenry, I'm totally stoked!

Only read the article yesterday myself, was interesting and did make sense but when put simply like that is also pretty obvious, just judging a board by litres could be either robbing yourself of a great board or putting you on the wrong board.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
9 Jul 2014 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vanders1 said...
said..

Must be stoked!!

Only read the article yesterday myself, was interesting and did make sense but when put simply like that is also pretty obvious, just judging a board by litres could be either robbing yourself of a great board or putting you on the wrong board.

Quick.coast run is in order then

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
9 Jul 2014 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
said..

said..

Must be stoked!!

haha nice work boys you made me get myself a copyVanders do you know the liters of your Miller

unclethirsty
382 posts
13 Jul 2014 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Been riding the SUBX as 2+1, had to let the quad idea go as I was getting so jazzed about different fin configurations that I was loosing the plot. Thinks to self..just put one setup in & get that right first knucklehed. So 2+1 it is, now had a number of surfs on it in varying 2'-4' glassy to bumpy, with shoulders & straighthanders. It just goes great in it all it has/is blown me away, it's SO stable on takeoff, gets up & going quick for the quick takeoff & drive down the line, & if you wanna cruse then crank it around NO PROBLEMO, it'll do it.
Now, for the older surfers (like me) just be "vewry vewry careful" 'cause like me you'll think your 10yrs younger & start doing stuff you havn't in a while, like floaters, roundhouse cutties &, wait for it, squatting to get some quick tube time,HA. & pulling them off. So be ready for sore everything "you have been warned". Did I say I liked this board. I'll give the 2+1 another couple of weeks & then go to quad mode & report back.

AndyrooMac
TAS, 1925 posts
13 Jul 2014 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

Damn!!! stop posting this stuff, mines still late july early aug.... aaaaaaaaaaargh!!!

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
13 Jul 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks uncle, great to hear more about it. What fins are you now running in it as 2+1?

Mine will be ready by the end of this week.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
13 Jul 2014 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
b3lly said..
stumbled on this thread. thought I'd add my 66. been riding this for 9 months. catches anything.

gee, i wan't mind having a crack at one of those a 5'10

vanders1
QLD, 3809 posts
13 Jul 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

gee, i wan't mind having a crack at one of those a 5'10

Well you might have to settle for trying a 7'er first.

unclethirsty
382 posts
27 Jul 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Vanders, you got the new Subbie yet..?

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Miller SUBX" started by unclethirsty