Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Roy's Gun Project

Created by RoyStuart > 9 months ago, 30 Dec 2014
thePup
13831 posts
25 Jan 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

I like looking at new things and I like peeps who create them even more go hard Roy the Boy

Ricardo1709
NSW, 1301 posts
25 Jan 2015 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

whatever rocks your BOAT

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
25 Jan 2015 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Love the tint

surferstu
1011 posts
25 Jan 2015 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

thePup
13831 posts
26 Jan 2015 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Geez youse blokes are firkin harsh

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
27 Jan 2015 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry bro but you might have lost me with those rails...the back end looks like the rails are almost vertical....given most blokes at Jaws are bottom turning and then hooking it up under the lip somewhere how will this help?

RoyStuart
532 posts
29 Jan 2015 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

You got that wrong Tux, the rails have a circular section.

MickPC
8266 posts
29 Jan 2015 1:45AM
Thumbs Up

Well I'm sure it will paddle nicely & get in early. But the thickness of the board looks very similar to the wooden construction minus the almighty rocker. Surely there could be a dramatic slimming down in thickness to give the board a rail to cut in & draw a line. Chunky forgiving rails are great for guys learning to surf. But isn't this board meant to be built for pro big wave riders putting themselves in life & death situations where equipment is vitally important.

I'm thinking flex is going to be a major issue also, even the cleanest of conditions in big waves generally has significant bumps. The test pilot is going to be absorbing a lot of bumps with his own body while trying to navigate out from under a heaving death slab peak.

That said I think it would be awesome for small waves up to knee high where the wave is barely breaking with flat sections

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
29 Jan 2015 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

24 would be way to much board for mine...I prefer mine around the 20-21 mark....if I am on a really big wave (big for me, 4 foot for Shane Dorian) the last thing I want to worry about is moving my feet to sink a rail...I'm all about the poo man stance to the channel

RoyStuart
532 posts
29 Jan 2015 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

It depends on the planshape, and length. Narrower tail allows more width, but narrower overall can be nice I agree. I'll be going down to 23 inches later. There's a reason why guns are getting wider, one of which is increased length

RoyStuart
532 posts
29 Jan 2015 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..
Well I'm sure it will paddle nicely & get in early. But the thickness of the board looks very similar to the wooden construction minus the almighty rocker. Surely there could be a dramatic slimming down in thickness to give the board a rail to cut in & draw a line. Chunky forgiving rails are great for guys learning to surf. But isn't this board meant to be built for pro big wave riders putting themselves in life & death situations where equipment is vitally important.

I'm thinking flex is going to be a major issue also, even the cleanest of conditions in big waves generally has significant bumps. The test pilot is going to be absorbing a lot of bumps with his own body while trying to navigate out from under a heaving death slab peak.

That said I think it would be awesome for small waves up to knee high where the wave is barely breaking with flat sections

Wrong on every count:

Firstly my wooden longboards are some of the thinnest around, many are at 2 inches thick even at 13 feet long.

Secondly this board actually has more rocker than some of my wooden boards. Most people don't know how to measure rocker in terms of actual curvature.

Thirdly the thickness has nothing to do with the rail thickness or radius, that's what the facet or 'chine' allows. It's the same radius I use on many 3 inch thick boards and is finer than most big wave boards are in the mid section. On other words you haven't even seen or understood what the rail is.

Flex is a non issue, it's weight which is important, and tail shape. Most big wave guns flex very little in spite of the hype to the contrary, and many prefer stiff boards.

I've tested this type of board in waves up to what you'd call twelve feet and I'd call 24 feet, and they just keep on going better as wave size increases, they also love hollow sections. the control is epic in it's smoothness and reliability. It makes it easy.

The big wave riders and shapers I'm talking to don't parrot this kind of nonsense at all, that's because they are actually in the game and so think about things objectively while respecting other designers.

She's going to be a great board. The thickness is the only big change but is necessary. If I find that it's too much I'll make the next one thinner.

MickPC
8266 posts
29 Jan 2015 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..
MickPC said..

Wrong on every count:

Firstly my wooden longboards are some of the thinnest around, many are at 2 inches thick even at 13 feet long.

Secondly this board actually has more rocker than some of my wooden boards. Most people don't know how to measure rocker in terms of actual curvature.

Thirdly the thickness has nothing to do with the rail thickness or radius, that's what the facet or 'chine' allows. It's the same radius I use on many 3 inch thick boards and is finer than most big wave boards are in the mid section. On other words you haven't even seen or understood what the rail is.

Flex is a non issue, it's weight which is important, and tail shape. Most big wave guns flex very little in spite of the hype to the contrary, and many prefer stiff boards.

I've tested this type of board in waves up to what you'd call twelve feet and I'd call 24 feet, and they just keep on going better as wave size increases, they also love hollow sections. the control is epic in it's smoothness and reliability. It makes it easy.

The big wave riders and shapers I'm talking to don't parrot this kind of nonsense at all, that's because they are actually in the game and so think about things objectively while respecting other designers.

She's going to be a great board. The thickness is the only big change but is necessary. If I find that it's too much I'll make the next one thinner.

Nonsence eh Well best of luck mate, I hope it goes alright for you or whoever rides it....I lived in Margaret River for 6 years & get down there fairly often. I'm no stranger to larger waves & I've found flex can be a big issue. Agree with you on weight, I didn't comment on weight but I'm sure there is plenty in that board. The thickness of the board if reduced will help & the rails do appear to be a major issue also, cheers...I won't get started on the wrong on every count bit coz I have no interest in arguing with you coz that's obviously emotion in print. I'd be annoyed if I misjudged someone's knowlege & went off half cocked too. Look forward to seeing the next board

RoyStuart
532 posts
29 Jan 2015 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it's nonsense, and I don't need luck.

As for 'misjudging your knowledge' you seem to be under the misapprehension that you have posted some. Saying that you lived in Margaret river is just vacuous chest puffing.

Your post is a mess.... look at this comment: ' I didn't comment on weight but I'm sure there is plenty in that board'. WTF is 'plenty' and how can you weigh the board by looking at two cellphone pictures?

Likewise you assume to know the state of my emotions and the reasons for that supposed state when in reality you have no idea... you are just making it up.

You refuse to engage in a design discussion while making vague unsupported pronouncements about design, hopefully 'best of luck' means that you will apply your faculties somewhere else in future.

It always cracks me up when after decades of board design, building and testing people like you feel the need to step in and make dicks of yourselves pretending that you know more about my boards than I do....

MickPC
8266 posts
29 Jan 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

As for 'misjudging your knowledge' you seem to be under the misapprehension that you have posted some. Saying that you lived in Margaret river is just vacuous chest puffing.

Your post is a mess.... look at this comment: ' I didn't comment on weight but I'm sure there is plenty in that board'. WTF is 'plenty' and how can you weigh the board by looking at two cellphone pictures?

Likewise you assume to know the state of my emotions and the reasons for that supposed state when in reality you have no idea... you are just making it up.

You refuse to engage in a design discussion while making vague unsupported pronouncements about design, hopefully 'best of luck' means that you will engage you faculties somewhere else in future.

It always cracks me up when after decades of board design, building and testing people like you feel the need to step in and make dicks of yourselves pretending that you know more about my boards than I do....

Oh you wish for further clarification Roy, ok...if you have ever made a decent shaped board that performs well, I have yet to see it. So perhaps that is my disadvantage. I offered you what I thought to be constructive feedback without simply stating, the boards a farking boat...My statement of "best of luck" means I hope I'm wrong, but that board looks like a peice of farging crap, good luck with it.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
29 Jan 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

You refuse to engage in a design discussion while making vague unsupported pronouncements about design, hopefully 'best of luck' means that you will apply your faculties somewhere else in future.

Roy you just made a right dick of yourself with that reply.
Sure your out there when it comes to designs right or wrong,but you have been the one chest beating and calling out world class shapers. If your designs are that good,why are they not out there in every second store like some you write off.
Roy if your going to put yourself out there expect some negative feed back along with the positive.

RoyStuart
532 posts
29 Jan 2015 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Did I say that I don't expect it? Man some people make a lot of assumptions.

My time is valuable and these days I prefer not to waste it with the sort of claptrap which has been posted by MPC, of which there is no shortage as is always the case with low level common denominator bile.

Any reasonable design questions or comments will be answered, the rest is a waste of space.

As for calling out' 'world class shapers' as mentioned previously my discussions with them have been civil and rational. Those who are actually in the game do not base everything on some spurious idea of shaper's hierarchy or what boards are expected to look like. They are open and interested, and don't see me as 'calling them out' by expressing my design concepts.

Furthermore several features which I've been recommending for gun design for years have recently been adopted in some measure.

The notion that success equals being in 'every second store' is laughable. Clearly the author (that's you) is not a designer of innovative stuff.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
29 Jan 2015 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

RoyStuart said..

Sure your out there when it comes to designs right or wrong,but you have been the one chest beating and calling out world class shapers. If your designs are that good,why are they not out there in every second store like some you write off.
Roy if your going to put yourself out there expect some negative feed back along with the positive.

I disagree. I think roys reply has plenty of merit.. ....mickpc from all accounts seems a cool bloke,,,but loses creditability in board design by praising the merits of cheap popouts...his only saving grace is that he own a clearwater

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Jan 2015 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

roys board kind of reminds me of tomy pintail. 12'6 x 24 1/2 " but a whole thicker and the tomy has a very soft short displacement nose

ill reserve comment until I see it the gun in the surf

MickPC
8266 posts
29 Jan 2015 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chrispy said..
Macaha said..

RoyStuart said..

I disagree. I think roys reply has plenty of merit.. ....mickpc from all accounts seems a cool bloke,,,but loses creditability in board design by praising the merits of cheap popouts...his only saving grace is that he own a clearwater

haha thanks Chrispy.....but I stand by popouts when one has worked great for me & I know the next will be exactly the same

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
29 Jan 2015 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Flame on, this is excellent

thedrip
WA, 2354 posts
30 Jan 2015 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

I have had a pop out that is one of the best boards I have owned; equally, the other pop out it was my misfortune to own is one of the worst dogs ever.

Personally, Roy's board looks weird to me, but I have only ever owned two boards for waves that size and they were needles. Neither ever let me down though. Roy's board is so far removed from 7'8" x 17 1/2' x 2 1/2 that I have no idea. I would love to see some video though and Camel would certainly not be shy throwing himself into something solid.

RoyStuart
532 posts
30 Jan 2015 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..
I have had a pop out that is one of the best boards I have owned; equally, the other pop out it was my misfortune to own is one of the worst dogs ever.

Personally, Roy's board looks weird to me, but I have only ever owned two boards for waves that size and they were needles. Neither ever let me down though. Roy's board is so far removed from 7'8" x 17 1/2' x 2 1/2 that I have no idea. I would love to see some video though and Camel would certainly not be shy throwing himself into something solid.

What I'm doing with this board is testing the thickness, and the 3d glass.

At only 9'5" it's not intended for the upper limits of wave size... for that we'll be going much longer and will need to have thickness of 3" plus. For huge waves design is driven firstly by wave catching ability, otherwise much smaller boards could be used. I've always liked thin longboards so need to know how the increased thickness feels, and whether or not it affects the handling too much.

So, I've used a shape which I know well and dialled the volume way up. The next sizes up will be in the mid ten and eleven foot range, probably an inch narrower at 23".

Camel wrote recently: "roy the orange tint board looks radical ! rails sound interesting . ive always wondered what the boogyboard " vacuum '" rail would work like on a surfboard . yours are round underside or what ? chines are sick too ! amazing work , please keep us posted"

wavemaniac
465 posts
30 Jan 2015 4:51AM
Thumbs Up

Show us how it works in 3footers(24ft in your terms)

RoyStuart
532 posts
30 Jan 2015 4:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wavemaniac said..
Show us how it works in 3footers(24ft in your terms)

Three feet in your terms is six feet in my terms ( i.e. 6 feet in actual height).

Big waves are often measured the way I do it, in actual height rather than dividing the height by two, which is sensible.

24 feet in my terms is 12 feet to you... or possibly less since some people divide by three to look manly and humble.

thePup
13831 posts
30 Jan 2015 5:02AM
Thumbs Up

Here's something that Geoff Camel Goulden visits in WA near Denmark mate (In our local rag this morning FYI) - no info on what he's riding in the main big wave comp tho

RoyStuart
532 posts
30 Jan 2015 5:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MickPC said..

RoyStuart said..

You refuse to engage in a design discussion while making vague unsupported pronouncements about design, hopefully 'best of luck' means that you will engage you faculties somewhere else in future.

Oh you wish for further clarification Roy, ok...if you have ever made a decent shaped board that performs well, I have yet to see it. So perhaps that is my disadvantage. I offered you what I thought to be constructive feedback without simply stating, the boards a farking boat...My statement of "best of luck" means I hope I'm wrong, but that board looks like a peice of farging crap, good luck with it.

Your 'constructive feedback' included comments about the design which were factually incorrect, when I pointed this out you said that you didn't want to argue because doing so is displaying emotion... then proceeded to abandon all pretence at objectivity and posted more mindlessly emotive stuff.

My surfing ethos has a lot in common with that of the big wave riders in that it is all about making the wave... the so called 'performance' which dominates other surfing genres has nothing to do with it, so you are applying inappropriate performance criteria.

I have my doubts about your claim that you hope you are wrong... you are wrong but I think that you prefer it that way.

Macaha
QLD, 21900 posts
30 Jan 2015 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

MickPC said..

RoyStuart said..

Your 'constructive feedback' included comments about the design which were factually incorrect, when I pointed this out you said that you didn't want to argue because doing so is displaying emotion... then proceeded to abandon all pretence at objectivity and posted more mindlessly emotive stuff.

My surfing ethos has a lot in common with that of the big wave riders in that it is all about making the wave... the so called 'performance' which dominates other surfing genres has nothing to do with it, so you are applying inappropriate performance criteria.

I have my doubts about your claim that you hope you are wrong... you are wrong but I think that you prefer it that way.

Roy do you think surfing is just riding a wave,as in straight line?As far as big wave riding goes sure it takes great balance to drop from these monster waves,I may upset some here but I'm not a fan of this type of wave riding,I'd much rather see a short-order ripping in small stuff or a good longboarder surfing old school and also making the board turn,not just catching a wave and riding it to the beach in a straight line.I'm not an expert just your average hacker with an opinion.

RoyStuart
532 posts
30 Jan 2015 5:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

RoyStuart said..

MickPC said..

RoyStuart said..

Roy do you think surfing is just riding a wave,as in straight line?

Of course not, riding in a straight line is almost impossible.

Surfing is done with many different objectives and in many ways. As I said I concentrate on wave making ability, this of course requires turns. As stated above it's also what big wave riders do... it's all about catching and making the wave, and there's plenty of room for improvement on that score. In many cases the big wave equipment being used is failing during turns. My boards turn with ease and with better control at speed... in fact they turn so easily that people like yourself often confuse it with going straight because there are no big spray making hacks, it's all done while in trim.

RoyStuart
532 posts
30 Jan 2015 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macaha said..

As far as big wave riding goes sure it takes great balance to drop from these monster waves,I may upset some here but I'm not a fan of this type of wave riding,I'd much rather see a short-order ripping in small stuff or a good longboarder surfing old school and also making the board turn,not just catching a wave and riding it to the beach in a straight line.I'm not an expert just your average hacker with an opinion.

It's a matter of personal taste, but you should really drop the 'straight line' notion because no one ever does that.

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
30 Jan 2015 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RoyStuart said..

thedrip said..

What I'm doing with this board is testing the thickness, and the 3d glass.

At only 9'5" it's not intended for the upper limits of wave size... for that we'll be going much longer and will need to have thickness of 3" plus. For huge waves design is driven firstly by wave catching ability, otherwise much smaller boards could be used. I've always liked thin longboards so need to know how the increased thickness feels, and whether or not it affects the handling too much.

So, I've used a shape which I know well and dialled the volume way up. The next sizes up will be in the mid ten and eleven foot range, probably an inch narrower at 23".

Camel wrote recently: "roy the orange tint board looks radical ! rails sound interesting . ive always wondered what the boogyboard " vacuum '" rail would work like on a surfboard . yours are round underside or what ? chines are sick too ! amazing work , please keep us posted"

You might need to go shorter...I just watched Albee Layer hooking into Jaws on a 8'8

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Roy's Gun Project" started by RoyStuart