Forums > Surfing Shortboards

First board for someone 110kg+

Created by michael15286 > 9 months ago, 17 Nov 2019
michael15286
WA, 2 posts
17 Nov 2019 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

I'm sure you guys are sick of beginner surf board threads, but I've looked around a lot and found little to help me. AS a 6"4 guy over 110kg, there's not too much info out there on surf boards my size. I saw this thread www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Surfing/Shortboards/100kg-short-board-surfers-what-do-you-ride, which is how I found this forum, but I'm looking for more recent suggestions. Thanks!

Coohan
84 posts
17 Nov 2019 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

If you're a complete beginner, get yourself an 8ft or bigger soft top. The bigger (longer, wider, thicker) the better. You'll catch more waves and learn how to pop up better. If you stick with it, it'll make a fun small wave board. good luck and have fun

michael15286
WA, 2 posts
17 Nov 2019 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Coohan, I'll look for an 8ft+ board then. Any reason why a soft top over a hard top?

Buster fin
WA, 2576 posts
18 Nov 2019 4:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
michael15286 said..
Thanks Coohan, I'll look for an 8ft+ board then. Any reason why a soft top over a hard top?

Safer for you and anyone nearby.

Coohan
84 posts
18 Nov 2019 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

You are going to bash the board around a lot as a beginner - a fibreglass board will ding, so either you'll have to pay for it to be fixed or learn how to do it to yourself before you can surf it again. A soft board doesn't need the same kind of care. And it's safer for you and everyone else until you develop an understanding of surfer etiquette

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
19 Nov 2019 6:20AM
Thumbs Up

Good advice from the boys at 110 kg's you will need a lot of float a mate I surf with is around that fridge size and his short board is 7ft all be it lower volume.

Practice your pop up and feet placement on a cardboard cutout or similar and do 6 weeks of paddling even if its just up and down the beach to start to get the muscles you need for surfing.

Plenty of guys surfing soft boards theses days for fun and I changed my option a few years ago out at Kuta Reef Bali on a bigger day watching a Korean girl charge Kuta 2nds on a soft board it was impressive the board went OK as well.

When you start catching waves you will have a better idea about your glass board.

swimfin
NSW, 74 posts
21 Nov 2019 8:34AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 8 foot soft top. I weigh 95 kg. I also have hard boards 6'6 to 8'. I find standing on the softop it tends to bend which slows forward movement. I'm not sure those recommending you get a softop have ever ridden one.

Borrow some boards before you buy something.

At 110kg you are going to need an 8'6" round nose and tail and thick.

Maybe dull the back of the fins to avoid cuts.

Find somewhere where you can practice without injurying any bystanders.

Catch small broken waves away from others.

If it smacks you in the face, welcome to surfing.

GPA
WA, 2520 posts
21 Nov 2019 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

I am 115kg and have been heavier... I surf a 8" 7S SuperFish XL as my 'short board' - however I have been surfing for a LONG time and I am now slowing down through age and injury. For a long time I was surfing 7'2" and 7'3" boards and keeping up with the thinner blokes .

I recommend looking for something mini-mal shaped in the 7'6" to 8'6" range so long as it is reasonably thick and at least 22" wide. Aim for something in the 50lt plus range (if you can find out board volume). Epoxy will float you better than a standard fibreglass PU board. A NSP will be very durable and good value for money as a starter board.

Good luck - it's a great sport.

Coohan
84 posts
22 Nov 2019 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
skeghedd said..
I have a 8 foot soft top. I weigh 95 kg. I also have hard boards 6'6 to 8'. I find standing on the softop it tends to bend which slows forward movement. I'm not sure those recommending you get a softop have ever ridden one.

Borrow some boards before you buy something.

At 110kg you are going to need an 8'6" round nose and tail and thick.

Maybe dull the back of the fins to avoid cuts.

Find somewhere where you can practice without injurying any bystanders.

Catch small broken waves away from others.

If it smacks you in the face, welcome to surfing.

I surf the closeouts of perth, and ride a soft top heaps. Yes they flex a bit, but it's not going to be an issue for a beginner.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"First board for someone 110kg+" started by michael15286