Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Lighthouse beach again

Created by qwerty > 9 months ago, 26 Sep 2016
Agent000
161 posts
21 Oct 2016 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

thank ifocus for reminding me not to waste my time on here, i'll leave you to it.

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
21 Oct 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Agent000 said..
thank ifocus for reminding me not to waste my time on here, i'll leave you to it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful and I respect everyone's opinion on the forum including guys who want to kill every shark in the ocean (that was once me) and I have been through an attack and seen and felt the trauma / impact on everyone.

PS Agent carry a torniquete

Cobra
9106 posts
21 Oct 2016 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ people want to kill every shark in the ocean
Pfffft , never read that in here.

Razzonater
2224 posts
21 Oct 2016 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Shark shield the original and best 100 percent success rate.....
Eat a dick

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
22 Oct 2016 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..

Shark shield the original and best 100 percent success rate.....
Eat a dick

LOL love your work Razz

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
22 Oct 2016 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Legion said..

bjshack said..

Andy T said..
JB I think your 'science' is social media! Where is this scientific data? I don't mean a report, I mean where is the raw project right up? Not some edited for public consumption report!!!

Here is as good a place to start as any

www.csiro.au/en/Research/Environment/Oceans-and-coasts/Sharks/White-shark-research-findings

That's exactly not what Andy asked for. That's marketing fluff.

I actually would have been surprised if you had produced legitimate research material.

I was actually referring to the CSIRO in general. But ill admit, I'm not great at deciphering many of the reports produced. So what i did was i spent months ringing and talking directly to people who should know. I asked every question i could think of. I have spoken to people like Barry Bruce, just about everyone i could in Aus who should have some idea, many commercial fisherman and abb divers, i have spoken with scientific teams from South Africa and Hawaii, USA and even i spot to the Canadians who produced Tags and receivers that are used up and down our coast..

In hindsight though I'm not sure why, when the worlds brains trust it seems was on social media all this time..Do some research, hell even do some into just how much funding goes to someone like the CSIRO to study sharks from our government, i think you'd be surprised..I sure was

Macaha
QLD, 21885 posts
23 Oct 2016 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Where's Darth gone?

dmitri
VIC, 1040 posts
23 Oct 2016 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said..

Legion said..

bjshack said..

Andy T said..
JB I think your 'science' is social media! Where is this scientific data? I don't mean a report, I mean where is the raw project right up? Not some edited for public consumption report!!!

Here is as good a place to start as any

www.csiro.au/en/Research/Environment/Oceans-and-coasts/Sharks/White-shark-research-findings

That's exactly not what Andy asked for. That's marketing fluff.

I actually would have been surprised if you had produced legitimate research material.

I was actually referring to the CSIRO in general. But ill admit, I'm not great at deciphering many of the reports produced. So what i did was i spent months ringing and talking directly to people who should know. I asked every question i could think of. I have spoken to people like Barry Bruce, just about everyone i could in Aus who should have some idea, many commercial fisherman and abb divers, i have spoken with scientific teams from South Africa and Hawaii, USA and even i spot to the Canadians who produced Tags and receivers that are used up and down our coast..

In hindsight though I'm not sure why, when the worlds brains trust it seems was on social media all this time..Do some research, hell even do some into just how much funding goes to someone like the CSIRO to study sharks from our government, i think you'd be surprised..I sure was

my biggest surprise was when found out who actually the Australian Gov shark policy adviser was and he is claimed by the Aus media as the world leading shark expert

I posted it before and will post again au.linkedin.com/in/christopherlneff

makes you wounder how he got there in the first place ? this dude has no idea whatsoever

MickPC
8266 posts
23 Oct 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

dmitri said...

my biggest surprise was when found out who actually the Australian Gov shark policy adviser was and he is claimed by the Aus media as the world leading shark expert

I posted it before and will post again https://au.linkedin.com/in/christopherlneff

makes you wounder how he got there in the first place ? this dude has no idea whatsoever

Comments & thumbs disabled, what a total fag & not in a cool Milo Yiannopoulos kinda way. I dare you to not want to punch this guys face within 1 minute.

You don't disable comments & thumbs unless you find a lot of people disagree with your BS.

Total-Farking-Tard->>>

Merican Azzhole spin doctor with no concern for the Aussie beach goer. Just a good band wagon to jump on to further his career in social manipulation.

This is a good example of the type of person contributing to the problems we are experiencing today. Absolutely disgusting...

Macaha
QLD, 21885 posts
24 Oct 2016 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

Not far away.

www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/nocookies?a=A.flavipes

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
24 Oct 2016 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

From www.fish.wa.gov.au/Documents/research_reports/frr273.pdf :

"WA receivers have detected 64 individual acoustically-tagged white sharks, a total of 22,291 times since 2009"

16,523 of those were in the metro area.

katana
WA, 644 posts
24 Oct 2016 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

just got a front row demo of the patrol helicopter in action
helicopter turns and circles to check out a shark 50 meters from Leighton beach
helicopter turns on a siren with red flashing light moving low and up and down the beach ,great work
helicopter leaves to patrol other beaches
swimmers arrive minutes later and swim out .

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
24 Oct 2016 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

katana said..
helicopter turns on a siren with red flashing light moving low and up and down the beach ,great work

Yep and if the Westpac chopper is out of action, they rent the Blue one from a local company that has no lights or load hailer

When this debate started years back, i said then that my fear was culling large sharks "could lead" to more frequent attacks by smaller sharks..Well everyone back then disputed that saying NSW and QLD cull sharks and have done so for decades and look at the lack of attacks they have(The thought was clearly that they worked)..Well move forward a few years, look at whats happening now..Im sorry but smarter solutions are needed to protect surfers and water users. We need to act smarter, look at Hawaii, look at Reunion, how did/is culling working for them

This is what you get when you cull sharks. Hawaii culled over 4700 large sharks. They found an increase in attacks..

"So far this year, Maui’s played host to six shark attacks. Two of them have happened in the last eight days,"

Be warned, this is very graphic..
www.theinertia.com/surf/matt-meola-films-graphic-footage-of-maui-shark-attack-gives-credit-to-the-proper-heroes/

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
24 Oct 2016 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Wish I hadn't clicked on that.

Cobra
9106 posts
24 Oct 2016 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Cullings working fine for us

Cobra
9106 posts
24 Oct 2016 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Correction ,,,drum lines working fine for us.

IFocus
WA, 582 posts
24 Oct 2016 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
katana said..

Dave did you notice the fin location to the bite in the last attack? The bloke is one lucky fella.

Reminded me of that 15 year old in South Africa where the white also couldn't sustain the attack.

katana
WA, 644 posts
24 Oct 2016 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

^^the fifteen year old Dylan was bitten by a 5m white same area of board the jaw was jammed on the fin and couldn't bite thru him
nasty !! he had 3 rows of teeth marks in his back and but .
looks to me the last attacks 3 were less severe from the bites over the fins

katana
WA, 644 posts
24 Oct 2016 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

just got a call from a local in lennox now said a large shark got tangled in a legrope and dragged the surfer down the point a way

Cobra
9106 posts
24 Oct 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Razzonater
2224 posts
25 Oct 2016 5:01AM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...
katana said..

Yep and if the Westpac chopper is out of action, they rent the Blue one from a local company that has no lights or load hailer

When this debate started years back, i said then that my fear was culling large sharks "could lead" to more frequent attacks by smaller sharks..Well everyone back then disputed that saying NSW and QLD cull sharks and have done so for decades and look at the lack of attacks they have(The thought was clearly that they worked)..Well move forward a few years, look at whats happening now..Im sorry but smarter solutions are needed to protect surfers and water users. We need to act smarter, look at Hawaii, look at Reunion, how did/is culling working for them

This is what you get when you cull sharks. Hawaii culled over 4700 large sharks. They found an increase in attacks..

"So far this year, Maui’s played host to six shark attacks. Two of them have happened in the last eight days,"

Be warned, this is very graphic..
www.theinertia.com/surf/matt-meola-films-graphic-footage-of-maui-shark-attack-gives-credit-to-the-proper-heroes/

Drumlines and nets have been used in nsw/qld for over 40 years. That alone shreds your argument to pieces.
The other places you reference are all warm water locations without great whites, that also shreds your argument to pieces.
They too have had a huge drop in commercial fishing for sharks, this actually backs my argument for setting hooks.and actual targeted commercial fishing for sharks....
It is to be added that if you are at broken head and.walk north a few kilometres you end up at cosy.corner. The beaches in between (suffolk park) used to have an abbatoir on them back in the 50s and 60s.
When the abbotoir closed the sharks came back for a few years as.they are.habitual feeders.
These.sharks got shot and or caught.than no more shark attacks.
Its called fishing,.that is real science.
Jb you are clutching at straws,.i do not agree with the decimation of a.species or genocide i agree with controlled fishing or what a scientist would refer to as resource management.
All you people squaking about saving the shark are to blame for the last few attacks, its on your.head.
Your group has started a political smearcampaign against anyone who has.had enough.
The protests down at cottesloe were attended by every soy lattee chai tea mungbean in the state, 90 per cent of them looked that pale they must of thought vitamin d was the same as the d they rubbed on their face and put in their mouth.

Look vocal minority are not always right.

Ill give you a perfect example of the hypocrisy, you sell boats?
People fish off them, they specifically gps mark spots and return their and target dhufish,breaksea cod etc etc, they go every weekend, they set cray pots and now and then keep a cacker cray.or an undersize dhuie.
Not all of them and not all the time, but they do.
People have decimated the land jungle rainforest and oceans. Yes believe it or not i grew up in margies my parents were pretty green. I love butterflies,.hug trees and love nature.
The targeted killing of a few sharks does not change this.

Macaha
QLD, 21885 posts
25 Oct 2016 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

There are a lot of local businesses going broke down there with the amount of attacks,people are simply bye passing this area for family holidays.
Just ask anybody in the surf industry they are really struggling to keep the doors open.

SP
10979 posts
25 Oct 2016 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Shark shield live launch is on for those that might be interested.

www.facebook.com/Coastalwatchcom/videos/10157728906605085/

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
25 Oct 2016 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjshack said..
When this debate started years back, i said then that my fear was culling large sharks "could lead" to more frequent attacks by smaller sharks..Well everyone back then disputed that saying NSW and QLD cull sharks and have done so for decades and look at the lack of attacks they have(The thought was clearly that they worked)..Well move forward a few years, look at whats happening now..

Jesus christ your a moran.

thedrip
WA, 2353 posts
25 Oct 2016 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Razzonater said..

Are your talking about yourself there?

Possibly there is a quiet majority who can't be bothered arguing with people. Be under no illusions, I basically agree with jb but can't be bothered getting into the slanging match and personal attacks over something so emotive. Logic isn't going to change anyone's opinion.

Perhaps there are more out there like me hey?

It's pretty funny reading all this carry on, although its starting to go around and around in circles fellas. Either side got anything new?

roodney
145 posts
25 Oct 2016 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thedrip said..

Razzonater said..

Are your talking about yourself there?

Possibly there is a quiet majority who can't be bothered arguing with people. Be under no illusions, I basically agree with jb but can't be bothered getting into the slanging match and personal attacks over something so emotive. Logic isn't going to change anyone's opinion.

Perhaps there are more out there like me hey?

It's pretty funny reading all this carry on, although its starting to go around and around in circles fellas. Either side got anything new?

Yeah mate been reading about it on other sites as well always turns into a ****fight

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
25 Oct 2016 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Razzonater said..

Drumlines and nets have been used in nsw/qld for over 40 years. That alone shreds your argument to pieces.

So let me get this right, they (Qld and NSW) have been culling sharks you say for over 40 years (Actually started 1937 thats 79 years) and these sharks swim up and down the coast from Vic/SA to QLd past the nets and drum lines you say are working and yet attack numbers are increasing..I'd suggest that reaffirms my argument..

It seems even the seals don't like sharing the water currently

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/nocookies?a=A.flavipes

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
25 Oct 2016 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...
Razzonater said..

So let me get this right, they (Qld and NSW) have been culling sharks you say for over 40 years (Actually started 1937 thats 79 years) and these sharks swim up and down the coast from Vic/SA to QLd past the nets and drum lines you say are working and yet attack numbers are increasing..I'd suggest that reaffirms my argument..

How is having nets culling? I thought it was to stop sharks from coming close to swimmers. That's not going after anything to wipe out the ocean. Just the ones that come close to swimmers.

SP
10979 posts
25 Oct 2016 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

jbshack said...
Razzonater said..

Or the number of attacks at netted / drum line beaches when compared to non protected beaches shows that they are very effective? Depends how you look at it I guess.

The nets are there to get sharks that stay in same area and become territorial not one swimming up the coast.. The DPI and scientist state that this is how they work.

www.coastalwatch.com/environment/20632/nick-carroll-on-beyond-the-panic-the-facts-about-shark-nets

Now enough of the shark talk... JJF is very close to winning a world title. And after all isn't this supposed to be a surfing forum..?

Macaha
QLD, 21885 posts
25 Oct 2016 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

If the shark swims into the net,call it suicide or just a dumb fish

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Lighthouse beach again" started by qwerty