Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Hypersonic 125 for windfoiling

Created by Sideshore > 9 months ago, 31 Aug 2020
Sideshore
280 posts
31 Aug 2020 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

Hello
I'm about to buy an old hypersonic 125 l, 229 x 76, deep tuttle for windfoiling. I think the size is quite similar to some windfoil dedicated boards, but spending a fifth. I know the mast track could be a little bit forward and have to change the footstraps position to inward, but it could be an option for my regular skill (footstraps, deep tuttle, long distance from foil to sail), and maybe for my expected WWF future (strapless, advanced usbox foil and feet position, shorter distance from foil to sail).
Any experience/opinion?
Thanks.

Windbot
484 posts
31 Aug 2020 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

I had a similar Starboard that I used when learning and it was great. Eventually I moved to something shorter and passed it on to another guy who has gotten really good on it. We used a Windance PowerPlate pedestal adapter that let us move the foil forwards on probably 10cm or so. I feel this helped greatly but it probably would have worked alright without it.

PatK
299 posts
31 Aug 2020 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

There is an old video foiling the HS

Had one a long time ago, was a great board.

Sideshore
280 posts
31 Aug 2020 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

So, does it have enough volume and width in the tail for early flying and nose drops are well landed? 125 l x 76cm is a good size for a 70 kg beginner?

I've calculated the distance from tail to mast track is about 125 cm, which is similar to naish hover, right?

Besides it's not too long (229)

Thanks.

LeeD
3939 posts
31 Aug 2020 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

I use power plate to move front wing between stock strap positions.
It's ok, but deep double concaves drag a lot in light breeze, and also drag harshly when coming down off the foil as breeze drops.
74 kgs.

segler
WA, 1621 posts
31 Aug 2020 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, look at the photo. You can see that the finbox is completely aft of the back footstraps. Most foils will therefore be far too back-foot-heavy to get balanced. This is why you see some posters here saying they are using the Power Plate to get the foil further forward.

That said, I do know that my i76 balances well without the Power Plate on an old formula board with, also, a too-far-aft finbox. The shovel-shaped wing (low aspect ratio) has a very wide center of lift to allow this.

LeeD
3939 posts
1 Oct 2020 4:06AM
Thumbs Up

Talked to a lightweight who used 125 Hyper for windfoiling maybe 10 days. He had windfoiled well over 100 days on real gear.
Hyper seems heavy and has bottom drag.
Foil needs to be moved farther forwards.
Width and length is fine.
Since he is light..70 kg..a heavier rider might find the 125 Hypersonic just fine for windfoiling.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Hypersonic 125 for windfoiling" started by Sideshore