Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Making a handle in the bottom of Slingshot Wizard 125 liter.

Created by YellowHelmet Saturday, 14 Sep 2024
YellowHelmet
2 posts
Saturday , 14 Sep 2024 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

I would like to have a handle in the bottom of my Slingshot Wizard 125 liter.

Did anybody ever try to make this DIY by making a small hole in the bottom of the board.

I guess in the middle in the center of gravity of the board with the foil mounted.

Or did anybody break his board around this place : are there reinforcements at that place I better not cut into pieces ?

thedoor
2293 posts
Saturday , 14 Sep 2024 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
YellowHelmet said..
I would like to have a handle in the bottom of my Slingshot Wizard 125 liter.

Did anybody ever try to make this DIY by making a small hole in the bottom of the board.

I guess in the middle in the center of gravity of the board with the foil mounted.

Or did anybody break his board around this place : are there reinforcements at that place I better not cut into pieces ?

I know people have had it done

Hydrosurf
158 posts
Saturday , 14 Sep 2024 4:17AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe you could purchase a handle and glass it in, some handles you can hook your fingers in and pick up the board with one hand.

BullroarerTook
224 posts
Saturday , 14 Sep 2024 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

I've been using this for a couple years:
liquidsurfandsail.com/sup-and-wing-board-handle/?sku=2000786&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp2000786&sc_intid=2000786&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADpOBrhYthyRtbnbKDw00hXjb1XuX

i honestly don't notice it foiling up, but i know it must have a small effect. Clean the board really well with water, soap and then IPA and it will be stuck on there like snot.

KDog
315 posts
Saturday , 14 Sep 2024 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

If you mean an inset carry handle like on a SUP board yes it can be done but it needs to be a handle that is in a high density foam cassette otherwise its going to fail and leak recommend to find someone that has done it before.

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
Saturday , 14 Sep 2024 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Buying a handle is not expensive
get the kidney shaped one not the square block looking thing as they are weak and can leak

the slingshot has a big core cell and carbon stringer so the router work is not fun.
use super slow epoxy resin so u don't melt it all

or come here I've done plenty

MOzCustoms
42 Daly St
South Fremantle

YellowHelmet
2 posts
Saturday , 14 Sep 2024 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thank for your good ideas and interesting insights.

1. Hydrosurf and KDog : these prefabricated inside handle boxes seem indeed a good idea. Do you have examples or experience with this ? I felt inside a factory installed box and it feels curved for better grip.
2.BullroarerTook : this is a very good and original idea. So I guess it can easily be removed at all time ? Will have indeed a (small) effect during taxing. I'm thinking of a hand a little bit foil shaped not in the lenght but width of the board. Could be a small extra foil in the middle of the board.

3. The idea of BullroarerTook makes me think of a rubber suction handle I could carry around and put in the zipper pocket of my impact jacket. Snap on and off when necessary.

4. By the way right now I'm doing someting similar. I have a small rope / belt in the zipper pocket. I put it through both front footstraps underneath the board and then pull the board up on these rope/belt on the bottom side. I have a 500 meter standing depth area

5 Mark_australia is the best and easiest idea : I'm in Belgium and I'll send the board right over through the earth.
So there is a carbon stringer there in the middle. So I guess just making a hole, putting a prefabricated handle box in with some super slow epoxy is not a good idea I guess.

Guido

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
Sunday , 15 Sep 2024 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

It's a very good idea
router hole
stick in with resin and qcell

sand a shallow depression and glass over

as an aside, have a good look there for creasing across the bottom the slingshots are notorious for it
if doing a handle it's a good opportunity to put a bit of repair effort in. actually not just creasing, if one concave is quite a bit deeper or vee is funny it shows it's trying to twist. Seen some real interesting ones

Hydrosurf
158 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

I read somewhere that the slingshot boards are a different construction than a regular sandwich windsurf board. Is that true?

KDog
315 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 4:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hydrosurf said..
I read somewhere that the slingshot boards are a different construction than a regular sandwich windsurf board. Is that true?

Depends on the model my old 125 wizard V2 had a layer of carbon and what looked like 4oz.glass on the bottom the top had divinycell,carbon,glass on top.Freestyle models are more like wave windsurf construction.And yes you can crease the bottom

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Yes - no bottom sandwich in those model of Wizard

azymuth
WA, 2031 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
It's a very good idea
router hole

as an aside, have a good look there for creasing across the bottom the slingshots are notorious for it
if doing a handle it's a good opportunity to put a bit of repair effort in. actually not just creasing, if one concave is quite a bit deeper or vee is funny it shows it's trying to twist. Seen some real interesting ones

Confirming that Mark does excellent work

azymuth
WA, 2031 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
It's a very good idea
router hole

Confirming that Mark does excellent work

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks man
I think the freight from Europe is the killer

boardsurfr
WA, 2321 posts
Monday , 16 Sep 2024 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
YellowHelmet said..
these prefabricated inside handle boxes seem indeed a good idea. Do you have examples or experience with this ? I felt inside a factory installed box and it feels curved for better grip.

I have used prefab handles bought on Amazon (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W61GVT2/). Easy to put in (route exactly, use very slow epoxy + some filler). They are not quite as comfortable as the handles in commercial boards, but perfectly fine.

Select to expand quote
YellowHelmet said..
The idea of BullroarerTook makes me think of a rubber suction handle I could carry around and put in the zipper pocket of my impact jacket. Snap on and off when necessary.

I've used a rubber suction handle for a while to carry windfoil gear. The problem I had was that it would sometimes come loose while I was carrying the gear. I ended up using climbing sling that I wrap around the fuse and my hand, with the other hand on the mast foot. Good balance and control, and even weight on both arms.

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
Tuesday , 17 Sep 2024 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

That Amazon one was what I meant too

just make sure you put extra glue in the bottom seam the day before install to be safe

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Making a handle in the bottom of Slingshot Wizard 125 liter." started by YellowHelmet