Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Naish Micro Hover 131

Created by kiter49 > 9 months ago, 11 Dec 2019
kiter49
84 posts
11 Dec 2019 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi , anyone have demoed the Naish Micro Hover 131 ? , I've got 3 boards on my list : Wizard 125 , Starboard 125 freeride and this Naish wich has a little more volume that could probably better fit my 210 pounds , I currently ride a Wizard 150 . Thanks .

r0d
113 posts
25 Jan 2020 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

I'm about 95kg and I have the micro hover. I've had it since July. I think it is a bit more buoyant than the wizard 125. Certainly comfortable to uphaul despite the short length (lots of volume under your feet).
To date I've only used it with Naish foils and inboard straps, but it seems very well behaved, easy enough to gybe and touch downs are not as hard as you might imagine.

r0d
113 posts
9 Mar 2020 3:46AM
Thumbs Up

r0d
113 posts
9 Mar 2020 3:47AM
Thumbs Up

kiter49
84 posts
11 Mar 2020 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks ROD , very good looking board , I already bought another brand ( cross over ) but I'll keep it on my list for the futur.

w100
WA, 239 posts
5 Oct 2020 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Some YT video shows people starting winging with the longer Hover.
Do you reckon the Micro 131 will be even easier as starting tool (wanting it as wind foil board) ?
Just in case, what's the Naish foil set up (wings, stabs, fuselage) it may need (assuming the 1150 / new 85cm mast as base to start from) to wing from 8 kts ?

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
6 Oct 2020 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

I am using a micro for wind and wing foil.
As a free ride windfoil it's excellent. I use it with a 1400 HA naish wing.
In Wing mode I use a 1800HA wing but you could use smaller with ease.
the set up in wing mode is strapless and in wind mode I just use the front straps.
in wing mode the board isn't as manoeuvrable as it is with a sail as it feels long and heavy, but for cruising it's nice.

w100
WA, 239 posts
6 Oct 2020 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snides8 said..
the set up in wing mode is strapless and in wind mode I just use the front straps.
in wing mode the board isn't as manoeuvrable as it is with a sail as it feels long and heavy, but for cruising it's nice.

Thx.
what's the wind you wind foil with the 1400? Ever tested the 1800 for wind foil as well? Please, what are sail size combinations with those wings?

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
6 Oct 2020 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
w100 said..

snides8 said..

Thx.
what's the wind you wind foil with the 1400? Ever tested the 1800 for wind foil as well? Please, what are sail size combinations with those wings?

Ok windfoil with the 1400 from 10kn using a 5.6 have go down to 4.8 at 15kn and a 3.5 at 20.
I haven't tested the 1800 on windfoil but tested a 2000 but found it started to crab sideways upwind.
Also it wasn't required as sail pressure to pop is more important.

KA643
NSW, 42 posts
7 Oct 2020 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

I bought a Micro in Dec 2019, I replaced my Hover 122 that I'd been using for 2yrs prior to that. I haven't trialed any other boards to compare, but both boards have been great for me. I much prefer the shorter length of the Micro and the lessened "swing weight" of the front of the board. I use it with the original WS1 Naish foil setup (70cm mast and 1220cm front foil) together my Severne S1 wave sails (5.6, 4.8, 4.2 depending on wind strength). I am super happy with my Naish Micro and Foil setup and it gets me out on the water so much more than with just my wave boards. I use it both in the ocean and on a local lake. I have had great support from Sam at WSS Boards (Sydney) and JB at Naish Australia and would highly recommend them both.

Like snides8 I now use the Micro for winging as well. So I bought an Naish 1800HA front foil wing to go wingdinging with. IMHO for winging the Micro is not as good as a dedicated winging board (I have trialed both Naish 110L and Fanatic 95L wing boards) but it has enabled me to learn and think about getting a smaller dedicated winging board when I'm ready for that step. I have used the 1800HA on my windsurf setup and it works great and has lowered my starting wind threshold even further. Hope this helps.

Water is not as crystal clear as snides8 beautiful WA locale !

Ant-man
NSW, 178 posts
8 Oct 2020 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

Like the others above I love the Naish Micro, but I can only compare it to the older Naish Hover.
What I like about it:
- Does everything I want in the variety of winds I foil in. Freeride to going fast upwind
- Compact - as I found out recently it fits in my wife's car (I'm seriously considering selling my windsurf van and down sizing)
- Nose protection. If you go over the nose, I found the mast doesn't get the chance to wack the board as it hits the water first.
- Nice and sturdy

powersloshin
NSW, 1688 posts
17 Apr 2021 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

I got the Micro from KA643 and done about 20 sessions so far with it. Before I had the Hover 122 and Stingray 140, this board has replaced both.

Comparison with the Hover 122: the 122 is lighter and more fun in light winds with small sails, also more forgiving due to the longer shape, but I found that it is a bit too narrow and the rear straps too inboard to use the harness to go upwind. The Micro has more width and outboard straps so it is easier to go upwind and carry larger sails. Max. sail I could be comfy with the Hover was 5.7, with the Micro so far I carry a 6.6, and it might be possible to go bigger, would like to hear from other users.

Comparison with Stingray 140: The Stingray was a much bigger board and best in light winds with larger sails, really stable. With strong gusts if overpowered it was hard to control, maybe because I had the heavier construction, over 10 kgs.

The Micro is more tricky of the 3 boards to control, I would say not for beginners, especially in chop or jibing.
Upwind: still feel that the rear straps are a bit too inboard, would like the board to have a more square shape with wider tail.
Jibing: need to put the rear foot quite backwards when jibing, the rear straps are in the way
So for now I have removed the back straps, I might put them back or make brackets to push them further outboards once I got my jibes dialled up.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Naish Micro Hover 131" started by kiter49