Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Scraches of back surface of my starboard race 177

Created by TakahiroIKEDA > 9 months ago, 19 Jun 2020
TakahiroIKEDA
1 posts
19 Jun 2020 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Back surface of my starboard race 177 (2020 version) has been damaged due to mast attack to nose while no damage has been confirmed around nose area.
Is it common phenomenon? Have you ever had same experience?
I have reported this phenomenon to Starboard, however I have not yet recieved any feedback from Starboard.
Since Scraches of back surface of the board is very dangeros, I have decided to stop using my starboard race 177 .
Your advice is highly appreciated.

DarrylG
WA, 495 posts
19 Jun 2020 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Yes I would not use it until repaired.
i have often wondered about those mast deflectors. Are they magnifying the point loads at the mast track??

regal1
NSW, 430 posts
19 Jun 2020 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

After destroying 3 mast bases (throughbolts, tendons, deck plates etc), I've stopped using the surfbent device when using a foil. When the mast falls towards the deck it levers the mast base & track against the surfbent & the surfbent wins every time. The board isn't going anywhere as it has a foil attached.

stehsegler
WA, 3469 posts
19 Jun 2020 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

That looks like the board is cracked... You might want to have a look under the the foam on the nose. Good chance there is a crack as well. One of the reasons I am reluctant to put any kind of padding on the nose. You won't see if there is damage.

Also one of the drawback of having a longer and wide nose is that you get very little deflection to the side.

oscardog
209 posts
19 Jun 2020 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Pragmatic nose protector is a pool noodle with a hose inserted. Velcro to board.
My Exocet RF has screw holes, Magicride glued some connections.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/I-want-to-make-a-nose-protector-?page=1

1. Can inspect the nose after a crash

2. No "high moment" moments like OP seemed to get from the surfbent.

3. Costs less than $5.

4. Weight is insignificant

5. So far, no board damage, (my "mean time between catapults" is extending exponentially now), am on my second pool noodle.

6. Throw the noodle away after you improve in confidence.

Other end of spectrum; the Flying Gwen has a recipe for the Ferrari of nose protectors, takes some work, but still low cost.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/Make-your-own-fiberboard-nose-protector-TUTO-VIDEO

MagicRide
688 posts
19 Jun 2020 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

I've catapulted quite a few times in the beginning from over foiling. I'm doing much better not over foiling and haven't over foiled, resulting in a catapult for several sessions now. But the noodle idea is cheap and works great. Looks a little funny with the noodle, but you get used to the noodly look. Absolutely zero scratches and zero damage to board from hard catapults. Noodle and straps are holding up great. I take the noodle off after every sail to dry and strap the noodle back on at the beach before sailing. Here is a new pic I just took of the Velcro straps fed into a bowline knot that I JB welded too the board. It takes like 1 minutes to strap the noodle on the board.

Bender
WA, 2224 posts
19 Jun 2020 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

yes that board is seriously compromised. the outer skin (sandwiched glass/carbon/pvc or whatever it is it cracked) . Possibly the only thing stopping it from snapping is the skin on the rails and the foam blank.

Robertos
129 posts
19 Jun 2020 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

It is a bit hard to see on the photo, but looks like the damage is just behind the mast foot:

If this is correct the damage is not an effect of the Surfbent or damage on the nose from catapults.
If the Surfbent would have caused this the damage should be forward of the mast track, and most likely on the front side of the board.
Forces work between forward bumper on the Surbent and the screw of the mast base.

However this is one of the area's of the board where the most forces are located during foiling (between front straps and mast base), also this area takes a beating if you lose lift and slam down into the water. This effect is worse when you have a foamy nose protector (or pool noodle) that prevents the nose from sliding in through the water.

If I'm correct this is structural failure in an area that should be designed to handle such forces.
I am very curious what the verdict of Starboard will be!

WhiteofHeart
762 posts
19 Jun 2020 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

A board should not do that in a regular racing situation. If we'd get a board back looking like that (given it hasnt been used to jump with at hoopika) it would be warranty for sure. If I were you I'd definately push Starboard for a warranty replacement.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Scraches of back surface of my starboard race 177" started by TakahiroIKEDA