Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Slingshot Wizard 125 with AFS foil

Created by shmish > 9 months ago, 6 Sep 2019
shmish
144 posts
6 Sep 2019 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Sailworks folk suggested I consider the AFS-85 foil with a wizard 125. However, they thought that maybe some of the SS boards might not have a full deep Tuttle box - maybe some of the boards are not quite deep enough. Another person I know recalls hearing that the hole mount spacing for the foil is a few mm wider than a Tuttle box.

So... do you or anyone you know run an AFS foil with a wizard 125? Do the fit without problems? I'm interested in the green/yellow/white 2018 model.

thanks

6 Sep 2019 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Muzylab

Your right regarding the tuttle box. I didn't know this, but a customer tried to fit a SB deep tuttle head in my 2018 Slingshot demo board here the other day, to discover it don't fit. So the Wizard boards is medium tuttle head box,,

If using the Wizard boards with a foil with full deep tuttle head is the only options (and a must) , then the head can be modified, with cutting a small section of the head.

The 2 fin bolt holes on the Slingshot boards fits M10. You can however use normal windsurf M6, but use a quality washer, that cover the larger holes,,

The Slingshot Wizard 125L 2018 is the same as the 2019 , and now 2020.

Look the best choice (if possible) would be to test the foils first in the 125 if possible.
I haven't tried the AFS, but can only say if you pair the Wizard and Slingshot Hoverglide foil, then you wont have any potential problems as mentioned above, - and most important the balance / setup between the 2 is perfect.

Cheers
Jesper

shmish
144 posts
6 Sep 2019 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

I'm starting to think that the Dialer and Wizard 150 have the medium Tuttle while the smaller wizard have deep Tuttle. Someone was nice enough to measure their 125 for me and the aft depth was 6 cm. There is also this link: boardsportscalifornia.com/product/slingshot-wizard/

I agree that testing is best.

I find that windsurf/foil gear decisions are extremely hard to make. Deadly combination of high expense and buying sight unseen and untested (at least where I am).

6 Sep 2019 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Muzylab

I agree it can be confusing to start with, with all the options and if you want to mix brands (not that this is bad)
Like you say yourself then choose a fitting set from same brand (board + foil), will ensure the right fit.

The tuttle box for all the Slingshot range should be the same, as they are all made for the same adapter from SS.
The deepest point in the Wizard 125L box is 6cm max.(forward in the box)

Jesper

Paducah
2536 posts
6 Sep 2019 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
muzylab said..
Another person I know recalls hearing that the hole mount spacing for the foil is a few mm wider than a Tuttle box.

Hole spacing is a wild card on a lot of foils and boards. The rears are so thick that if they vary just the slightest bit, you'll need to get a round file out and do some ovalizing of the board or foil head holes. My AFS was a bit out of spec but the problem was solved in short order. I've read that some boards already come with the holes a bit ovalized.

Use google chrome or translate if your French is like mine: marseille.glissattitude.com/blog/windfoil-salade-insert.html

Gwarn
222 posts
6 Sep 2019 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

I have recently gone through this issue with the sling shot 105 (green and blue). I found that some of the literature states deep tuttle and some state medium. So be careful about your purchase trust only your own measurements. I just plan on changing the box in my 105 in a couple of weeks as the season comes to a close here in the bay area. My personal opinion is not to bastardize the foil mast head but to put the proper box in the board.

This is one of the sad things about this industry is the hype and BS marketing literature it's a 50/50 shot and with the price of admission this is going to deter a lot of people from playing the game. ( No technical drawings or measurements)

Me personally I'm done with boards made in asia there junk 9 times out of 10 My wizard 105 is already has a large soft spot on the deck between the front and rear straps 120+sessions this season.

So good luck on your journey into the world of foiling if the bug bites get ready to drop thousand after thousand as you progress. This is not for the faint-hearted but for myself it was definitely worth every penny.

Windbot
487 posts
6 Sep 2019 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sail Repair WA said..
Hi Muzylab

I agree it can be confusing to start with, with all the options and if you want to mix brands (not that this is bad)
Like you say yourself then choose a fitting set from same brand (board + foil), will ensure the right fit.

The tuttle box for all the Slingshot range should be the same, as they are all made for the same adapter from SS.
The deepest point in the Wizard 125L box is 6cm max.(forward in the box)

Jesper

Here's the front of my Wizard 125's box it's clearly deeper than 6cm

7 Sep 2019 7:06AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Windbot

Is that the 2018, 2019 or 2020 Wizard 125?

It would be interesting to know, as in the case (like I had the other day), the customer wanted to try his SB foil in the 2018 Wizard 125, and it did not fit, sitting over 1cm out of the box. The SB head is vey deep with 7cm at the front and 6cm at the back.

cheers
Jesper

MagicRide
688 posts
7 Sep 2019 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2018 Slingshot Dialer, I'll measure the tuttle box when I get home. I'm curious too.

Windbot
487 posts
7 Sep 2019 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sail Repair WA said..
Hi Windbot

Is that the 2018, 2019 or 2020 Wizard 125?

It would be interesting to know, as in the case (like I had the other day), the customer wanted to try his SB foil in the 2018 Wizard 125, and it did not fit, sitting over 1cm out of the box. The SB head is vey deep with 7cm at the front and 6cm at the back.

cheers
Jesper

Hi Jesper, it's a blue and green Wizard, so a 2018 I believe. I got it used from a guy who i believe got it shortly after the Wizards first became available. Here is a pic of the back end of the Tuttle box. In this case it seems like an SB foil would fit.

shmish
144 posts
7 Sep 2019 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks again Windbot.

Another thing I don't get is the idea to make sure everything is balanced. I understand the sentiment but other than matching a manufacturer's foil with their own board, what can a person do? You can't adjust strap positions or Tuttle box location. And how can a person ensure the combo is balanced unless they already have the gear? Many of us do not live in areas that stock foil boards and foils.

DarrylG
WA, 495 posts
7 Sep 2019 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

The closest thing to a standard is - Deep Tuttle 67mm at the front
Medium / Chinnok Tuttle - approx. 56mm at front
Standard / small tuttle ( don't know)
The starboard / cobra boards should all have deep tuttle. Ideally this should be a constant depth front to back, then the foil head can bottom out in the box the full length. These will also fit a deep tuttle head ( like the afs ) which is 67 mm at the front and tapers to the back.
The new starboard foils have a foil head which is parallel top to bottom, with a tapered cut line if you need to trim to fit a tapered box.

The main confusion is chinook calling their tuttle box "deep tuttle "- it is not deep!!

MagicRide
688 posts
7 Sep 2019 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

Here is the Dialer finbox measurement.

Gwarn
222 posts
8 Sep 2019 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

2018 SS 105
AFT

MID

FOR

DEEP TUTTLE HEAD BOTTOMED OUT BEFORE THE EDGES DO.

TRUST ONLY YOUR OWN MEASUREMENT

shmish
144 posts
8 Sep 2019 3:15AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, I just had a shop measure the box of their 2018 wizard 125, and it wasn't a deep Tuttle. That is a major bummer because that's the board that is on sale.

8 Sep 2019 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info.

To to clear it up, and especially for foilers that want to use other brands foils on the Slingshot boards (any year and model).

The tuttlebox used in all the Slingshot boards is the Chinook.
What Darryl stated on the different boxes is correct. (3 different types)
Chinook should be approx 56mm (+/-) at the front.

For all the Slingshot boards the full deep Tuttle head will not work in this box.

All Slingshot foils will work in the Slingshot boards ( of course)

Slingshot foils can be used on any medium and large tuttlebox boards, with no problem.
You would need longer bolts, but those can easily be found in any good boat / hardware shop.

I can can see how it could be a bit confusing, but hopefully this clears it up a bit.

Jesper

MagicRide
688 posts
10 Sep 2019 1:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sail Repair WA said..
Thanks for all the info.

To to clear it up, and especially for foilers that want to use other brands foils on the Slingshot boards (any year and model).

The tuttlebox used in all the Slingshot boards is the Chinook.
What Darryl stated on the different boxes is correct. (3 different types)
Chinook should be approx 56mm (+/-) at the front.

For all the Slingshot boards the full deep Tuttle head will not work in this box.

All Slingshot foils will work in the Slingshot boards ( of course)

Slingshot foils can be used on any medium and large tuttlebox boards, with no problem.
You would need longer bolts, but those can easily be found in any good boat / hardware shop.

I can can see how it could be a bit confusing, but hopefully this clears it up a bit.

Jesper

So on the Dialer, is it considered to be a medium or large tuttlebox? And would I need short or longer bolts to attach the foil to the board?

gorgesailor
604 posts
10 Sep 2019 3:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DarrylG said..
The closest thing to a standard is - Deep Tuttle 67mm at the front
Medium / Chinnok Tuttle - approx. 56mm at front
Standard / small tuttle ( don't know)
The starboard / cobra boards should all have deep tuttle. Ideally this should be a constant depth front to back, then the foil head can bottom out in the box the full length. These will also fit a deep tuttle head ( like the afs ) which is 67 mm at the front and tapers to the back.
The new starboard foils have a foil head which is parallel top to bottom, with a tapered cut line if you need to trim to fit a tapered box.

The main confusion is chinook calling their tuttle box "deep tuttle "- it is not deep!!

Chinook has never called their box "deep" tuttle ... fyi...

chinooksailing.com/collections/board-building-part-accessories/products/race-box

Captain_Morg
TAS, 727 posts
10 Oct 2019 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Just asking but did Slingshot change the depth of the tuttle box on the 2019 wizards?
I was aware in 2018 of the shallow tuttle in the wizard but was advised that the 2019 would have the deeper box..
I had a 2018 and measured it up as shallow ,, My 2019 model i did not measure before i sold it.
cheers

segler
WA, 1623 posts
11 Oct 2019 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Just like there was for fins (such as formula fins) there is variation in the height of the deep tuttle block on top of the foil (or fin). What is important is that the profiles, angles, thicknesses, etc., meet the tuttle drawing specs.

My LP foil has a shorter deep tuttle top than my AFS. The Starboard tops are similar to the AFS; they are quite tall. They all fit into the deep tuttle boxes of my formula boards with room to spare.

So, if your deep tuttle box is on the short side, measure your foil top to make sure it will fit completely inside.

Don't assume anything about screw length. You have to fit the screws by trial and error. Keep a big inventory of screws of various lengths. This is why I use only 1/4-20 threads here in the USA. Stainless 1/4-20 are easily available in a large selection of lengths. The local Home Depot will not have much in long stainless M6 or M10, but Ace Hardware usually does. This situation is probably reversed in the rest of the world.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Slingshot Wizard 125 with AFS foil" started by shmish