Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Slingshot Wizard 150 compared to a Levitator 150

Created by kiter49 > 9 months ago, 10 May 2020
kiter49
84 posts
10 May 2020 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi , I'd like to know how these two boards compare on the water , I have the 2018 Wizard 150 and was thinking to switch it to the levitator 150 mainly for the track system , 2 inches shorter and 1 inch narrower.

Cyber
145 posts
11 May 2020 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

They appear certainly very much alike. Though the Levitator is wider and thicker at the backend. So should support easier lift at low speed. What really stands out is the mast box placement, which on the Wizard appear to be much more towards the rear, so nearer your front foot. Don't know if this is to cater to different sail sizes between the two? But the short distance on the Wizard does not look accommodating to larger sail sizes, which I think is the main domain and purpose of the Levitator today in 2020 versus the smaller sized Wizards...

Maybe somebody out there with real life experience riding the two?

kiter49
84 posts
11 May 2020 7:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cyber said..
They appear certainly very much alike. Though the Levitator is wider and thicker at the backend. So should support easier lift at low speed. What really stands out is the mast box placement, which on the Wizard appear to be much more towards the rear, so nearer your front foot. Don't know if this is to cater to different sail sizes between the two? But the short distance on the Wizard does not look accommodating to larger sail sizes, which I think is the main domain and purpose of the Levitator today in 2020 versus the smaller sized Wizards...

Maybe somebody out there with real life experience riding the two?

Cyber , thank you very much to take time to look at it and show these pics , this is a huge difference of the mast placement , I did not notice it , this might be why up to 7.0 sail the Wizard is comfortable but 8.5 feels unbalanced ?also probably way less floatation in front of the mast ,
This Levitator has the same lenght than the Wizard 125 but 2 inches wider . I demoed the Wizard 125 and liked it but found out this was a little too small for my weight . This Levitator might be a good compromise from this point .
The more I look at these pics the more I feel like this must be a totally different board on the water , way more volume in the back .

Foiler69er
60 posts
11 May 2020 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hi - I foil the Levitator 160L so not qualified to comment but I thought I could comment on the sail size. The largest sail I use on the 160L Levi is a Duotone f-type 6.8. I have tried larger sails but they feel heavy and unbalanced. I'm by no means an expert foiler - this is my second year - but I feel that I get on foil just as easy with my 6.8 as I do with the Flyer 8.2. The only difference is that I'm not having as much fun with the 8.2 Flyer. I have not given up on the 8.2 Flyer yet but I find that in light wind I go with the f-type 6.8 and the i99 wing. (I also have the i76 and i84)
The net is that you may not necessarily be able to use (be comfortable with) a larger sail on the Levitator. I myself is thinking of getting a W125 for higher winds and to get a more playful board.

kiter49
84 posts
11 May 2020 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foiler69er said..
Hi - I foil the Levitator 160L so not qualified to comment but I thought I could comment on the sail size. The largest sail I use on the 160L Levi is a Duotone f-type 6.8. I have tried larger sails but they feel heavy and unbalanced. I'm by no means an expert foiler - this is my second year - but I feel that I get on foil just as easy with my 6.8 as I do with the Flyer 8.2. The only difference is that I'm not having as much fun with the 8.2 Flyer. I have not given up on the 8.2 Flyer yet but I find that in light wind I go with the f-type 6.8 and the i99 wing. (I also have the i76 and i84)
The net is that you may not necessarily be able to use (be comfortable with) a larger sail on the Levitator. I myself is thinking of getting a W125 for higher winds and to get a more playful board.

Hi ! This is very appreciated , thanks Foiler69er. I have the same feeling , second season as well , 5.7 and 7.0 are way more balanced on my board . For me (my experience) the 5.7 is way easier to pump compared to the Flyer 7.0 so I have a big tendency to rig the 5.7 and pump a little and find out this was enough sail . The 7.0 is a good sail but different sailing . I just bought an old Formula for the 8.5 sail , I did not have the opportunity to use it yet , it is been too windy lately .

kiter49
84 posts
13 May 2020 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foiler69er said..

Select to expand quote
Foiler69er said..

Hi Foiler69er , I ended up ordering a Levitator 150 , I think this could be a good compromise between the Wizard 125 and the Levitator 160 . The track system shoud be useful . Thanks for your help .

CYVRWoody
133 posts
14 May 2020 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

Slingshot Windsurf Brand Manager:Wyatt Leviator: with inboard footstrap you don't fly as high as with the outboard settings. 2:36 mark

Does your foiling experience confirm this?

Thanks for your replies.

Foiler69er
60 posts
14 May 2020 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiter49 said..

Foiler69er said..

Foiler69er said..

Hi Foiler69er , I ended up ordering a Levitator 150 , I think this could be a good compromise between the Wizard 125 and the Levitator 160 . The track system shoud be useful . Thanks for your help .

That's great - looking forward to hearing about your experience. I was out yesterday on my 160L/i84 with a 6.8 for quick 1.5 hrs session. Had to sclog to the wind line because the wind was offshore - the 160L (or 150L) comes in hand in those situations.

kiter49
84 posts
14 May 2020 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foiler69er said..

kiter49 said..

Foiler69er said..

Foiler69er said..

That's great - looking forward to hearing about your experience. I was out yesterday on my 160L/i84 with a 6.8 for quick 1.5 hrs session. Had to sclog to the wind line because the wind was offshore - the 160L (or 150L) comes in hand in those situations.

And these are the conditions that prevail here . Best winds !

kiter49
84 posts
15 May 2020 1:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Foiler69er said..

kiter49 said..

Foiler69er said..

Foiler69er said..

Hi , just to say , I bought an old formula board last week , 145 liters , I rode it this morning for the first time with an 8.5 Hydra , Moses 1100 , wind 5 to 15 max , I had a very good ride , I understand that the width is even more important than the volume , these boards are meant to carry huge sails and this must be why the 8.5 was so well balanced on it .

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Slingshot Wizard 150 compared to a Levitator 150" started by kiter49