Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Upgrade a SS Dialer 145 to a ???

Created by joe87879 > 9 months ago, 13 Jul 2020
joe87879
52 posts
13 Jul 2020 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
Looking for opinions for advantages a switching from a dialer 145 to another board.

Stats:
180lbs, great lakes, foiling for 2 years, focus on lightwind foiling, sails 8.2 flyer ezzy's 6.3, 5.2, 4.6, 4.0, strapless, my location gets very wavy/choppy after 12 knots.
Good windsurfer/foiler
Most foiling I do is 6/kts -14kts than I switch to fin because of shorebreak & waves.
Some higher wind foiling in offshore wind (often involves a lot of schlogging)
Infinity 99 & 84 wings

What are opinions on advantages of switching to a Wizard 150 / Levitator 150/160 / Shred sled??

Thanks!

BSN101
WA, 2278 posts
13 Jul 2020 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

I have a SE Dialet139 do also interested in comments. dialet130 is 70wide so has been interesting to learn on but great.

thedoor
2226 posts
14 Jul 2020 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

For light wind and uphauling in chop the levitator 150 is really nice. Although the width makes maneuvering it rail to rail a bit more of an effort (I use the front strap on mine and my guess is that I am pulling up on the strap during turns/carves, but mostly turns are initiated by fairly big movements of my back foot.

Not many people have tried the shred sled but it could work well for you, especially as you prefer strapless. One thing to keep in mind is the "compactness" of the geometry. The closer the sail mast and the foil mast are together the more agile or sensitive the gear becomes. In my experience the more compact the gear is, the easier it is to control a lifting wing, the easier it turns, the easier it is to get it up on the foil when the wind is light, but gybing becomes more challenging.

I am not sure that the track placement on the shred sled image is fully accurate but you can see how it is more compact. Obviously tracks allow you to adjust things to vary "compactness" a bit. With the shred sled I think you will find yourself standing much closer to the sail mast than on the dialer or levi

NordRoi
631 posts
14 Jul 2020 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

I would wait at least some comments pop=up from foiler in general..not just picture of Wyatt foiling in Punta San Carlos, great picture btw! From the picture, that board seemed massive! If the concepts really works, well I have a JP SUP foil and I really enjoy the fact there is no foostraps and it's a plug and play type of foiling day, so it would really fit well in your area!! So far it looks like a sled..now just need confirmation it's shreding and if it does, it's a no brainer in my opinion.

thedoor
2226 posts
14 Jul 2020 1:58AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, ideally it would be best if Joe could demo the sled and levi. However, the sled looks quite similar to the Fanatic skysup WS which my mate is using with great success. I think this type of board rides smaller than the 140 L due to the foil being mounted so far forward.

NordRoi
631 posts
14 Jul 2020 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

I use a JP SUP Foil (115L) and it's a blast!! However JP and the SkySup are similar in a sens, they have a much more reduce area under the board, not just the foil more forward. The extra 25-30cm for stability and volume while not on foil. The sled...it's a full length 7.0 board and the foil is mounted more back, not as back as the Wizard, but not as fwd as the JP or Fanatic, so cannot wait to see reviews from clients. If it works as the JP or the skysup it will be a success!

CoreAS
883 posts
14 Jul 2020 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

2021 Wizards will be out in a few months, details are limited still but 3 new sizes around 130, 114 and 95.

I believe the 130 will be shorter but thicker than the current 125 all boards will feature twin tracks and strap locations for winging as well.

thedoor
2226 posts
14 Jul 2020 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..
2021 Wizards will be out in a few months, details are limited still but 3 new sizes around 130, 114 and 95.

I believe the 130 will be shorter but thicker than the current 125 all boards will feature twin tracks and strap locations for winging as well.

Yeah that 130 wizard could be perfect for Joe

thedoor
2226 posts
14 Jul 2020 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NordRoi said..
I use a JP SUP Foil (115L) and it's a blast!! However JP and the SkySup are similar in a sens, they have a much more reduce area under the board, not just the foil more forward. The extra 25-30cm for stability and volume while not on foil. The sled...it's a full length 7.0 board and the foil is mounted more back, not as back as the Wizard, but not as fwd as the JP or Fanatic, so cannot wait to see reviews from clients. If it works as the JP or the skysup it will be a success!

It looks like sled does have a kick tail. I think that is pretty key when you move the foil forward

marc5
162 posts
14 Jul 2020 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Allow me to weigh in as a rather inexperienced but enthusiastic foiler. I'm the same weight as you. I started out on a Dialer 145--a demo ride in the Gorge and I was hooked. First foil was the standard blue wing, and no matter how hard I tried I could not keep the wing from breaching powered up while in the straps. Had to have front foot in front of straps. All riding in fuse B position. I upgraded to a 76 wind after about 15 sessions, and things didn't change much. In the mean time I was in touch with other Dialer 145 owners who had the same experience with too much front lift. They told me it was a design flaw--footstraps too far back. "Move inserts forward or get a Wizard." I got a good deal on a 2018 Wizard 125. Immediately I was able to control the breaching much more easily with the Wizard. What a difference--still in B position with the 76 wing. So easy to control ride heightt compared to the Dialer. Now with 12 more sessions I'm pumping and getting long flights, breaching rarely, still no flying jibes (getting close). I have no other boards to compare but really like the Wizard. You definitely notice that in chop the Dialer is much easier to uphaul than the Wizard. Seems like I am waterstarting more now, though.

As a side note, I just sold my Dialer to a friend--with the necessary caveats. He put an 84 wing on it and immediately had some success (he weighs 218, perhaps a factor) in the straps.

As mentioned above, things are changing very quickly in foiling, and you may want to wait a few months before a purchase. If you don't buy 2021 stuff, at least the 2020 stuff will be marked down significantly.

Foil on!

Windbot
483 posts
14 Jul 2020 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CoreAS said..

So the 130 is replacing the 125? I just saw a photo of a 2021 125L, perhaps it was a proto?
Edit:. I reread and saw you said around 130L.

CoreAS
883 posts
14 Jul 2020 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..

CoreAS said..

So the 130 is replacing the 125? I just saw a photo of a 2021 125L, perhaps it was a proto?
Edit:. I reread and saw you said around 130L.

The liters I'm not sure of? but from my understanding the Wizards have been revamped for 2021.
The W125 was pretty much the same board 2018-2020.

Windbot
483 posts
14 Jul 2020 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

thedoor
2226 posts
14 Jul 2020 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..

Haha. Someone has the VIP pass.

Dimensions look similar to current wizard 125, but track means i99 will work forsure

Foiler69er
60 posts
15 Jul 2020 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe87879 said..
Hi All,
Looking for opinions for advantages a switching from a dialer 145 to another board.

Stats:
180lbs, great lakes, foiling for 2 years, focus on lightwind foiling, sails 8.2 flyer ezzy's 6.3, 5.2, 4.6, 4.0, strapless, my location gets very wavy/choppy after 12 knots.
Good windsurfer/foiler
Most foiling I do is 6/kts -14kts than I switch to fin because of shorebreak & waves.
Some higher wind foiling in offshore wind (often involves a lot of schlogging)
Infinity 99 & 84 wings

What are opinions on advantages of switching to a Wizard 150 / Levitator 150/160 / Shred sled??

Thanks!

Hi,
I'm 195 lbs and 6.2 - second season foiler.

We similar conditions here where I foil. It gets choppy pretty quickly. Our shrorebreak isn't too bad.
I have not sailed the dialer or the wizard.
I sailed all last season on the 160L Levitator with the i84 for the most part and the first part of this season with the i76 (and I have 2 sessions on a new SB 150L freeride).

On very lightwind days I sail the Levi with the i99 (with the flyer 8.2 or 6.8 f-type)

The advantage (as I see it) using the Levitators:
1. They are wider in the tail - which helps with upwind performance and pumping. (I would like them to be wider than they are)
2. They have a lot of volume in the back which allows you to get in the straps right away and start pumping.
3. They have the foil tracks which allows you to trim all the wings.
4. They schlog really well - if you have to do that a lot - it's pretty important. With W and NW winds we schlog a fair bit around here.
5. On very windy days I'm very comfortable on the 160L Levi with the i76/i84 with a small wave sail - like a 4.0 SuperHero

I recently had an opportunity to replace my 160L Levitator - with another SS board. I was leaning towards the 125L Wizard but in the end I decided to go with the 150L Levi. It's almost the same dimensions as the Wizard - but more volume and I got to keep the foil track.

I didn't go with another 160L levi because I (in parallel ) got a Starboard 150L Freeride in order to get more tail width. There would have been too much overlap imo had I kept the 160L. Some people will argue that there are just as much overlap between the SS 150L Levi and the SB 150L Freeride but I still wanted one of the Levitators for very windy days with the i76 and 3.5/4.0 sail and for i99 days. Also, the 150L Levi is quite a bit shorter than the 160L Levi.
Hope that helps - at least regarding the Levitators.

CoreAS
883 posts
15 Jul 2020 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windbot said..

If that's production 2021, I'll be happy with just the twin tracks

2021 colors but its definitely smaller than 125

dejavu
820 posts
15 Jul 2020 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

"On very lightwind days I sail the Levi with the i99 (with the flyer 8.2 or 6.8 f-type)"

I find my Levitator 150 to be pretty much maxed out (sail size) with my 7.0 metre flyer sail. I'm a bit surprised you're using an 8.2 metre with it.

The new 2021 Wizards look interesting, especially if they're being revamped to be used with a wind wing -- this would make them very versatile and a potentially great one board option for two closely related sports.

Dcharlton
307 posts
15 Jul 2020 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Loving the Wizard 125, I'm 200lbs and it's easy to uphaul, gets on foil easily and is a ton of fun when on foil.

DC

Foiler69er
60 posts
15 Jul 2020 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
"On very lightwind days I sail the Levi with the i99 (with the flyer 8.2 or 6.8 f-type)"

I find my Levitator 150 to be pretty much maxed out (sail size) with my 7.0 metre flyer sail. I'm a bit surprised you're using an 8.2 metre with it.

The new 2021 Wizards look interesting, especially if they're being revamped to be used with a wind wing -- this would make them very versatile and a potentially great one board option for two closely related sports.

Yeah - I'm sure I will figure out if 8.2 Flyer is too big for the 150L Levi soon enough. I suspect it will be too big with the i99 wing.

joe87879
52 posts
15 Jul 2020 1:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dcharlton said..
Loving the Wizard 125, I'm 200lbs and it's easy to uphaul, gets on foil easily and is a ton of fun when on foil.

DC

DC - What sail sizes and wings are using on the wizard 125?

Joe

MagicRide
688 posts
16 Jul 2020 3:50AM
Thumbs Up

I have been foiling for 5 months now with 30 sessions on the 130L SS Dialer. I love this board! I use only the i84, but ride strapless. I move my front foot forward and aft all the time depending on how much wind and energy is storing up on the front wing and adjust my back foot as needed. I feel totally balanced and confident foiling this board now. Super, super fun board to foil.

Dcharlton
307 posts
18 Jul 2020 11:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe87879 said..

Dcharlton said..

DC

DC - What sail sizes and wings are using on the wizard 125?

Joe

Joe,

I'm using the slingshot 99 infinity wing for light days with a 5.8 Duotone F-Type foil sail. If the wind picks up the F-Type is still pretty controllable but I need to switch to the 'Bat Wing' or the H4/Space Skate. I really love the H4 wing for when the wind picks up, it's an absolute blast!

DC

excav8ter
536 posts
19 Jul 2020 4:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..

What do you mean by "maxed out"? I have a Duotone S-pace 9.3 coming that I was planning on using with my Levitator 160.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Upgrade a SS Dialer 145 to a ???" started by joe87879