Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

What board for a Naish windsurf 1150 foil (other than a Naish!)?

Created by ossy > 9 months ago, 8 Sep 2020
ossy
15 posts
8 Sep 2020 3:55AM
Thumbs Up

I have been learning on a slalom board but am now fed up being so backfooted and sailing in an awkward stance (I can't get into the harness due to being so back on the board). I am having fun and now at the stage of staying up on the foil for long reaches and am starting gybing. However, I now feel the board is holding me back.

So! The question is, which foil specific board will match the Naish? I am in the UK and Naish boards are very expensive hence looking for an alternative.
Am currently veering towards a JP hydrofoil 135 or 120 but any advice or new ideas really appreciated. The foil is a deep Tuttle btw!

Many Thanks ??

powersloshin
NSW, 1686 posts
8 Sep 2020 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Stingray foil board has both deep tuttle and channel mounts, I have the Naish and I think it benefits from being set up more forward, so you might consider also switching to a channel plate instead of deep tuttle mount.

swoosh
QLD, 1927 posts
8 Sep 2020 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Agree with powersloshin, the foil likes to be mounted pretty far forward compared to most, I think you may struggle to find a deep tuttle board that will play nice with it. Try before you buy if you can.

Have you tried maxing out the stabiliser angle yet?

ossy
15 posts
8 Sep 2020 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
swoosh said..
Agree with powersloshin, the foil likes to be mounted pretty far forward compared to most, I think you may struggle to find a deep tuttle board that will play nice with it. Try before you buy if you can.

Have you tried maxing out the stabiliser angle yet?

How do you change the stabiliser angle?

DB2
100 posts
8 Sep 2020 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ossy,

Have a look for a Freeride Foilboard that has the footstraps right back at the Tuttle-box. I had the same situation with the Slingshot and the Moses-Foil. I am pretty happy with my Horue Tiny. I used to sail on an Exocet Freefoil 132, which is although an excellent board and pretty budget-friendly. And I just fell in love with the Goya Air Bolt. Damn, that board has it for me. I am just waiting to get the chance to test it.

BR, David

swoosh
QLD, 1927 posts
8 Sep 2020 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry I thought you meant the Naish WS1. With the 1150, I think you'd have to make some shims and maybe some longer bolts, I don't think Naish supply any.

You can do this super ghetto wise by putting a thin piece of material under one bolt. In your case if you are too backfooted, you want more lift, so you want to lift up the back of your rear stabiliser. An old credit card with a holepunch hole would probably work good. Otherwise people have used washers etc. You probably only want about a 0.5mm shim to start with.

Example below is what the fanatic shims look like, it has a pretty similar rear stabiliser mounting system to Naish. Wouldn't be too hard for someone who is somewhat handy to DIY some.

remery
WA, 2788 posts
8 Sep 2020 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

I heard Robby saying the other day that the big channel on the Hover is to get the fouls at the correct angle. I would have thought it would be easier to set the angle with the foil rather than board shaping.

ossy
15 posts
14 Sep 2020 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

I spent Saturday testing foil boards with the Naish foil and ended up buying a Starboard 111 foil board. Small, still slightly backfooted (but was using a very large sail) but reckon I can tweak this. However, the starboard was massively grin inducing. It seemed v easy to get up and once there felt like there was nothing under your feet, great fun! If i can get up on it with a 7.5m in marginal wind like I did on Saturday it should feel great with a 5.8m in moderate wind.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"What board for a Naish windsurf 1150 foil (other than a Naish!)?" started by ossy