Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

neilpryde 2019 glide wind

Created by FergusMartin > 9 months ago, 16 Oct 2018
FergusMartin
WA, 12 posts
16 Oct 2018 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

hi all
I'm looking to get into wind foiling and Neilpryde has just released the "glide wind" with a powerbox fitting. the board I'm hoping to pair it with is a JP X-cite ride 105 that is 255 cm by 65 cm. the foil is supposedly compatible with thinner and smaller boards but I'm hoping to get a second opinion. Do you guys think this would work.

Maddlad
WA, 864 posts
16 Oct 2018 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FergusMartin said..
hi all
I'm looking to get into wind foiling and Neilpryde has just released the "glide wind" with a powerbox fitting. the board I'm hoping to pair it with is a JP X-cite ride 105 that is 255 cm by 65 cm. the foil is supposedly compatible with thinner and smaller boards but I'm hoping to get a second opinion. Do you guys think this would work.

Hi Fergus, what size Glide Wind were you looking to get? I've used the small wing on an 85cm wide Slalom board and it had plenty of manouverability and a decent amount of lift for a small foil. My only concern would be that with a board that's only 65cm wide, the bigger wings may be a bit harder to control, however, these are made to free ride and so with the amount of curve the wings have you could be alright with the medium and large.
Does the shop you're looking to buy from have one you can try out? :)

FergusMartin
WA, 12 posts
16 Oct 2018 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not sure if the shop stocks the larger wings or if they would let me try them, I live in Albany WA and the closest shop is in perth so I'll make some calls and see if I will be allowed to do a "try before you buy". I weigh about 60 kilograms so maybe I would better suited to the medium wings. not looking for any high performance stuff just something to learn on.
thanks heaps for the advice, it was really helpful.

Maddlad
WA, 864 posts
17 Oct 2018 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FergusMartin said..
I'm not sure if the shop stocks the larger wings or if they would let me try them, I live in Albany WA and the closest shop is in perth so I'll make some calls and see if I will be allowed to do a "try before you buy". I weigh about 60 kilograms so maybe I would better suited to the medium wings. not looking for any high performance stuff just something to learn on.
thanks heaps for the advice, it was really helpful.

If you're only 60kgs you may not need too big a wing to get flying so the medium may work for you. Reg at WSP does have the medium and bigger wings from what I've heard. I'm not sure whether they'll let you try before you buy but the medium wing should get you going in about 10-12 knots depending on what size sail you run. You can always trade stuff if you need to change coz WSP are pretty good for that in my experience. Good luck and let us know how you go. :)

westozwind
WA, 1395 posts
17 Oct 2018 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

The large works very well in 8-10 knots. Very stable and predictable.

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 966 posts
17 Oct 2018 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Fergus,

I have the 2019 NP Glide Wind and am using it on an RRD Firestorm 111L which is 68cm wide x 236 and has a Power Box. I am 85 kg and I have the small wing. I have no problems getting it flying so if you are 60kgs I would definitely not go the medium or large. I have used it with a 4.7, 5.7 and 6.5 and works with all of them. I hope this helps.

FergusMartin
WA, 12 posts
18 Oct 2018 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

thanks that is helpful
what shop did you buy yours from?

FergusMartin
WA, 12 posts
13 Nov 2018 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

thanks
is this exclusive to jp boards or does the same issue come up in other Powerbox boards.

Windborne
10 posts
22 Mar 2019 3:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gonewindsurfing247 said..
Hi Fergus,

I have the 2019 NP Glide Wind and am using it on an RRD Firestorm 111L which is 68cm wide x 236 and has a Power Box. I am 85 kg and I have the small wing. I have no problems getting it flying so if you are 60kgs I would definitely not go the medium or large. I have used it with a 4.7, 5.7 and 6.5 and works with all of them. I hope this helps.

Select to expand quote
westozwind said..

Hi Gonewindsurfing247 and Westozwind,

I'm in Canada and last season I used the NP RSOne Convertible Foil 6 times on a Bic Techno 148 (75 cm) and did not have much luck with long stable flight on 5.4 to 6.9 (although I did do one foiling gibe which was really a fluke!). My goal is to foil in 10 to 16 knots, but from posts on other topics it looks like the RSOne is not a good choice. I am 72 kg.

I am considering the 2019 Glide Wind (Small, 1032 cm2) with the Bic Techno. What do you guys weigh? Do you think the small is enough for me?

You guys down under are a season ahead of us, so any other comments would be helpful (stability, gibing, top end . . .).

My other possible foil choice is the 2019 Slingshot Hover Glide Fwind Foil which is even bigger (1534 cm2). Any experience with these?

Thx

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
22 Mar 2019 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FergusMartin said..
thanks that is helpful
what shop did you buy yours from?

I just bought a NP Glide large from Reg at Windsurf Perth. haven't tried it yet, but hoping this weekend. For reference here's a photo compared to the 2018 NP Alu foil. I can't comment on Powerbox, I'm using my original tuttle mast (in pic).
PS I'm +84kg using a 135 JP foilboard.
Cheers, Mort

Maddlad
WA, 864 posts
23 Mar 2019 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windborne said..

Hi Fergus,

westozwind said..

I'm in Canada and last season I used the NP RSOne Convertible Foil 6 times on a Bic Techno 148 (75 cm) and did not have much luck with long stable flight on 5.4 to 6.9 (although I did do one foiling gibe which was really a fluke!). My goal is to foil in 10 to 16 knots, but from posts on other topics it looks like the RSOne is not a good choice. I am 72 kg.

I am considering the 2019 Glide Wind (Small, 1032 cm2) with the Bic Techno. What do you guys weigh? Do you think the small is enough for me?

You guys down under are a season ahead of us, so any other comments would be helpful (stability, gibing, top end . . .).

My other possible foil choice is the 2019 Slingshot Hover Glide Fwind Foil which is even bigger (1534 cm2). Any experience with these?

Thx

Hi Windborne,

i know someone who recently went from the NP AL pinkie foil to the NP Glide small and it has completely changed her view on foiling. She finds the Glide so much more stable and easy to use, that it's made her absolutely love foiling now. She uses it in a free ride board.

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
24 Mar 2019 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Yep here she is enjoying the Glide

azymuth
WA, 2031 posts
24 Mar 2019 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snides8 said..
Yep here she is enjoying the Glide

Nice one Cheryl

Windborne
10 posts
25 Mar 2019 1:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Maddlad said..

Windborne said..

Hi Fergus,

westozwind said..

Thx

Hi Windborne,

i know someone who recently went from the NP AL pinkie foil to the NP Glide small and it has completely changed her view on foiling. She finds the Glide so much more stable and easy to use, that it's made her absolutely love foiling now. She uses it in a free ride board.

Thanks to Maddlad, Snides8 and Cheryl for this info. She is going great in the conditions that I would like to foil. I guess it is still not proper to post a woman's weight without her permission!

Cheryl AUS841
WA, 35 posts
27 Mar 2019 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
In the video I am using the NP Glide small wing with a 70 cm mast on a Tabou Rocket 135L board. I am 72kg . I usually use a sail about 1m2 less than what I would use on slalom kit.
I can usually get foiling in about 12 knots without having to do any pumping.
It's a really easy foil to use.

Windborne
10 posts
28 Mar 2019 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Cheryl,
This really helps me make the decision on the Wind Glide with the small wing. I am about the same weight as you, and I had the same frustration last year with the RS One Convertible as you did with the pinkie.
Once the ice breaks up I will try it.

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
12 Apr 2019 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

I finally got my NP Glide Large out last weekend with around 15 knots of wind. Used a 5.5m sail, but probably should have had the 4.7 up. I realised when I got there that I'd left the harness at home and found that the arms tired fairly quickly, but the foil was much easier to sail than the 2018 AL foil. Smoother takeoff, more stable flight, although not having a harness made it more difficult to get comfortable, it also took me a while to realise that the boom had slippped down, so holding the boom in close was a bit awkward.

Foot position was the biggest difference. Forward of the footstraps and back foot closer to centreline, more upright stance and feeling more in control with foot pressure rather than leveraging with footstraps at full tilt with the old foil. The footage is not great, I was in a bit of a rush. All things considered I'm looking forward to more time on this foil and concentrating on improving technique rather than gritting my teeth and hoping for the best with the old wing.

NP Glide Large Foil:

Same location NP AL 2018 Foil. More wind smaller sail.

BSN101
WA, 2288 posts
27 Apr 2019 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone tried the Glide Wind on a wide board? We have a few interested down here and we have 93cm wide boards. Rather keen to have us all on similar kit. No one has tried foiling yet.
Is it more of an upright stance?
Can you go strapless?
And sail sizes, smaller (less than 6.0) or larger (bigger than 6.0) ?

Swindy
WA, 454 posts
28 Apr 2019 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dave, your board will be fine, just get some nose protection. The new NP wings seem pretty good, far better than the old ones, the slingshots are also a good option. More upright stance, yes. Strapless, yes, but better in the straps imo. Sail size, my most used is 6.5 twin cam but have used 5m to 7.8
Do it, you know you want to

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
10 May 2019 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

I have found the Glide Large wing has me standing in front of the footstraps (which are as far forward as they go), often with the heel of my front foot sitting against the strap. I have had the fuse machined to allow the mast to bolt on further forward. Hopefully will try it out on the weekend. I do prefer to have at least my front foot in the strap.

Modified fuse

Foil

Cheers, Mort

Adam555
WA, 162 posts
12 May 2019 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mort67 said..
I have found the Glide Large wing has me standing in front of the footstraps (which are as far forward as they go), often with the heel of my front foot sitting against the strap. I have had the fuse machined to allow the mast to bolt on further forward. Hopefully will try it out on the weekend. I do prefer to have at least my front foot in the strap.

Modified fuse

Foil

Cheers, Mort

hi Mort

really intersting and looks like nice work! - what board are you using it with ie is it a foil board ?

ive been working o something very similar to this that involves no machining of the fuselage plus extends the original fuselage to around 900mm using two machined adaptors but only finished the 1st trial one yesterday and haven't got to give it a go yet

was going to post something on it once I've given it a go but you've got me curious now re the mast movement you've done

regards

Adam

segler
WA, 1623 posts
12 May 2019 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

You know, people talk about the powerbox being too weak to carry the cantilevering forces of a foil.

However, has anyone actually SEEN one break? Anywhere in the world? Anybody?

We need hard evidence.

windsurftom
NSW, 355 posts
13 May 2019 6:09AM
Thumbs Up

The design of the powerbox was to use a single brass insert for the screw that would strip under high forces, shedding the fin and not breaking the box.
Am I right is saying we dont want to shed a foil?

CAN17
575 posts
13 May 2019 5:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mort67 said..

Modified fuse

Foil

Cheers, Mort

Awesome work Mort

Looking at the original mast position it looks rather far back(Like position C on a slingshot foil). Interesting it had too much lift with your jp 135. Glad you were able to modify it but not everyone is that capable...so makes you wounder if brands like pryde and many other are doing enough to let the rider adjust things to there weight, board, ridding style, etc.

Adam555
WA, 162 posts
13 May 2019 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adam555 said..

Mort67 said..

Modified fuse

Foil

Cheers, Mort

hi Mort

really intersting and looks like nice work! - what board are you using it with ie is it a foil board ?

ive been working o something very similar to this that involves no machining of the fuselage plus extends the original fuselage to around 900mm using two machined adaptors but only finished the 1st trial one yesterday and haven't got to give it a go yet

was going to post something on it once I've given it a go but you've got me curious now re the mast movement you've done

regards

Adam

Apologies just saw the picture of the board ... ! Will try mine this week and let you know if have the same issue

Mort67
TAS, 423 posts
13 May 2019 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAN17 said..

Mort67 said..

Modified fuse

Foil

Cheers, Mort

Awesome work Mort

Looking at the original mast position it looks rather far back(Like position C on a slingshot foil). Interesting it had too much lift with your jp 135. Glad you were able to modify it but not everyone is that capable...so makes you wounder if brands like pryde and many other are doing enough to let the rider adjust things to there weight, board, ridding style, etc.

Cheers Can17 & Adam,
Unfortunately didn't get out over the weekend due to visitors, but keen at the next chance. I can't claim credit, my local machine shop ended up using a CNC machine to do it.

Interestingly I saw this photo on another forum where there seems a mix of NP surf and windfoils Large and Small. My modified is the length of the front foil with mast location closer to that of the middle foil and the larger foil.
Cheers, Mort

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"neilpryde 2019 glide wind" started by FergusMartin