Forums > Windsurfing General

2016 Ledge to Lancelin with a few tips for 2017

Created by berowne > 9 months ago, 31 Jan 2016
berowne
NSW, 1274 posts
31 Jan 2016 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

The Ledge to Lancelin Ocean Classic has been on my bucket list for a number of years, and I finally got to complete it in 2016! If you haven't done it yet, I highly encourage you to give it a try (even if it is on almost any form of water craft, not just sailboards, but also; kite surfer, stand-up paddle or even kayak!).

This year the sailboards and kites all started at the same time, the kites using a start gate (so they weren't all trying to launch from the beach simultaneously) and the windsurfers using the traditional running beach start.

The view from the sand was amazing, with so many boards and sails all racing for the wind at the same time!

This year the LOC was postponed from the Saturday until the Sunday due to a lack of wind all week. As such the event organisers had to fit 4 days of competition into just 1, causing a few compromises. The LOC marathon started in light winds, ~8-12 knots that increased over the course to 12-15 knots. At some times the ocean swell seemed to be running the course faster than the wind, meaning that to get planning you really had to use the swell to maximum advantage!

Because of these light conditions, only those on the largest kit could plane away from the Le Mans style start, with those on anything less than an 8m sail resorting to a slow slog trying to find clean air.

When you're standing on the beach the first mark looks impossibly far away, especially if you are only familiar with inland sailing... Because of the distances, the LOC marks are actually fishing trawlers rather than buoys!

The 25km course was completed in under 30m by the elite riders on massive rigs, while I managed to finish in just under 1 hour on a 7.7m racing sail, Futura 134L that I borrowed from my mate Darren (big thanks!). .

There are quite a few videos online for the event.

.be
www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/olly-bridge-faster-than-windsurfers-in-the-2016-lancelin-ocean-classic

Guide to your 1st LOC attempt

If you have decided to attempt the LOC in the future, but you aren't quite sure of what you need to do with all your gear, accom, car hire and transport, then read on for some tips. After finally ticking off my first attempt at the event, I decided to write this brief how-to. I hope it comes in handy for 2017!

Registration
My first tip is to register early, and secure a better starting position. The elite group starts in the order of last years results, so the defending champ has the best starting position. Elite registration in 2016 was $160.
Regular competitors start in the order they pay the $110 registration fee online, so get in early to secure a good position on the Le Mans style start line.

Race Conditions
The LOC has been run since 1986 (the year I started windsurfing) and has earned a place in the Guiness Book of Records for the achievement. The race wind strength has a defined minimum of 12kts and can reach over 25kts. Although it is an open ocean event, the course runs behind a partially submerged reef, so the swell can be manageable, but easily build to over 1m in places. Using the swell proved critical in 2016 to maintain the plane. The wave sailing takes place on a higher section of reef in front of Lancelin beach and here the waves can easily reach over 2m, making for some exciting conditions and great ramps for aerials.

Gear
With such varied wind conditions, gear selection is vital. Bjorn Dunkerbeck competed with a 7+m sail and 105L board a few years ago while Cyril won on a 9.6m sail and 145L board in 2016. On my trip I took a 5.5, 6.3 and 7.7, and over a week I only got to use the 7.7, although the 6.3 got rigged twice... During the 6 day trip I sailed 3 times on my 90L board, but needed Darren's 134L for the race as I mentioned.

Safety Equipment
You will need to register with your local windsurfing association to be covered for the required third-party accident insurance. Apart from this, a Type 1 (bulky) or 2 life jacket is required. Personally, I like the Pinnacle Series 2 kayaking jacket which has a couple of pockets on the front and a big pouch at the back. This is large enough to hold a 2L water bag and a couple of flares, as well as a GPS and VHF.

You will need 2 orange smoke (day) flares for use in the event. I'd recommend hiring them if your travelling from interstate, as you can't post or fly with them.

Accommodation There are a number of accommodation options in Lancelin (and Ledge) from camp sites to holiday apartments with water views and private grass lawns. I preferred to stay close to the finish line because I brought a caddy with me and he drove the car back from Ledge. AirBnB is worth checking out.

Car Hire
Getting around requires a car. There is no alternative with so much gear! The Hyundai iMax is popular with the common hire companies, but avoid it! Unless you can get them to remove the 2nd and 3rd row seats, this car will not hold much more than a kite board :( As the seats do NOT fold down. I'd recommend an older Kia Carnival if you can get one, although these are being phased out. Or something with roof racks.

Lancelin is about 2 hours north of Perth with fairly easy driving conditions, 100 to 110 km/h most of the way. Be careful overtaking those loooooong B-doubles! And remember to fill up before you get to the airport hire shop on return.

Air Transport
Qantas and (I assume) most airlines will allow sailboard bags under 277cm in length. A 490 mast will fit in the Flying Objects 265 (8'10") bag (just). The regular weight supposed to be under 23kg. Extra bags for Qantas domestic (Syd-Perth) were $30, and the over-weight charge to an absolute max of 32kg was also $30, so you need to determine if 1 extra-heavy bag is better for you than 2x 23kg bags. Remember, you can shove your clothes in a board bag instead of a suitcase too.

So there you have it... A responsibly concise guide to competing in the L2L. Post any questions below!

Berowne & Darren

Tardy
4994 posts
31 Jan 2016 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks berowne..great write up and info ..I've been thinking of this event..for a number of year s

and have always wondered what gear to take . I have sailed there a few times ..mostly with. A 6.3 wave sail .( I'm heavy and found the wind light most days ..for WA anyway ..all about timing I guess.)
one more question is a weed fin required ..or can you get away with a pointer . I have used waves fin but don't know what the weed is like further Out..

well done on your time .looked challenging.

berowne
NSW, 1274 posts
1 Feb 2016 6:48AM
Thumbs Up

Tardy

Weed wasn't a problem when I was there, although a few people do use them. I did strike a crayfish trap line that caused a catapult at one point (which I was warned about )!

Tardy
4994 posts
1 Feb 2016 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

Ok thanks ..cray pot lines ...I don't know why they have such a long lines on them ..
I have found one or two myself ...but the wave fin seems to release them ..pointers how ever.

It defiantly sounds like a big board is required and I have a 7.6 severne .
Im thinking my 125 rocket should do the trick if its light .

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2016 Ledge to Lancelin with a few tips for 2017" started by berowne